• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Brad Ausmus Files: Bour for Fletcher Part II

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Cute.  I defend things when you guys over react.  I said at the time I didn’t like the move.

Who the hell could blame you if you did?   Scoot over dude, and hand me the Kleenex box....  That was awful.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Just a garbage move and a big one.

Fletcher has proven to be one of our most clutch players on the roster! a guy that drives in runs.  plus he was the perfect guy to have up. he handles the Bat well and Rengifo has the speed, where we can put something on.

Plus i really hate the fact that Ausmus does not use small ball that much.........he needs to use it to find success, can't always rely on a damn computer! look at the Dodgers, there computer got out-manged both world series. 

2 minutes ago, RBM said:

Ausmus said he was looking for a HR in that situation and he thought Bour had a better chance. He would have let Fletcher hit if there were two runners on. 

WTF!!

Down by a run with one out and a very good baserunner on first and one of your hottest hitters coming to the plate followed by La Stella and Trout and you pinch hit Justin Bour? 

This guy??

Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+ sOPS+
vs RHP 28   86 77 9 12 2 0 4 13 0 0 9 24 .156 .244 .338 .582 26 4 0 0 0 0 1 .163 96 57
vs LHP 15   25 20 1 4 1 0 0 1 0 0 4 6 .200 .360 .250 .610 5 1 1 0 0 0 0 .286 112 74

Ausmus essentially took the bat out of Trout's hands with the game on the line. 

Ausmus is playing checkers while his competition plays chess.

Almost a 5% chance of hitting a homerun! Fangraphs had the Angels win probability at 18% heading into that at bat.

Just now, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Just a garbage move and a big one.

Fletcher has proven to be one of our most clutch players on the roster! a guy that drives in runs.  plus he was the perfect guy to have up. he handles the Bat well and Rengifo has the speed, where we can put something on.

Plus i really hate the fact that Ausmus does not use small ball that much.........he needs to use it to find success, can't always rely on a damn computer! look at the Dodgers, there computer got out-manged both world series. 

Im not really big on small ball but you need to play the advantages you have at your disposal. The numbers do say that playing for 1 run tends to increase your chances of scoring one run. It's amazing that we have our most contact oriented team in perhaps a decade and we are essentially a station to station team.

56 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I would love to see somebody defend this one.

The only justification there could be (.0001%), is that Bour has more power and could give them a lead with the swing of a bat.

But you know, let’s sub a good hitter with someone tanking! Funny how they sub him in, then send him down. Should have just sent him down before the game. 

38 minutes ago, RBM said:

Ausmus said he was looking for a HR in that situation and he thought Bour had a better chance. He would have let Fletcher hit if there were two runners on. 

WTF!!

Down by a run with one out and a very good baserunner on first and one of your hottest hitters coming to the plate followed by La Stella and Trout and you pinch hit Justin Bour? 

This guy??

Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+ sOPS+
vs RHP 28   86 77 9 12 2 0 4 13 0 0 9 24 .156 .244 .338 .582 26 4 0 0 0 0 1 .163 96 57
vs LHP 15   25 20 1 4 1 0 0 1 0 0 4 6 .200 .360 .250 .610 5 1 1 0 0 0 0 .286 112 74

Ausmus essentially took the bat out of Trout's hands with the game on the line. 

Ausmus is playing checkers while his competition plays chess.

He isnt playing checkers...he is playing tic tac toe....and losing!

As I said in the game thread that this maybe the dumbest move I have ever seen in sports.

And dumbausmus explanation makes it even worst.

36 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Im not really big on small ball but you need to play the advantages you have at your disposal. The numbers do say that playing for 1 run tends to increase your chances of scoring one run. It's amazing that we have our most contact oriented team in perhaps a decade and we are essentially a station to station team.

We have a Scioscia like team without Scioscia!  

I keep trying to think if I'm in the dugout and have Rengifo on first and Fletcher coming up with one out, what are my options?

Could role the dice and have Fletcher take a few and greenlight Rengifo to remove a double play from the equation. There is a 70% chance he makes it on his own which now gives you the option to let Fletcher sacrifice him to third but I'm not liking having two outs. So Fletcher gets the hit away sign looking for the ball to leave the infield on the ground.

Option two is straight sacrifice but Fletcher is not that good of a bunter. Best to let him draw out the count on his own for a possible walk or attack a mistake pitch.

Option three is Fletcher has the tools to hit behind the runner so hit and run is on the table.

The last option is to send Bour to triple A early, get a jump on traffic and all that.