• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

4 minutes ago, RBM said:

Good point. I looked at it and it appears Justin Jones (23) is not playing good enough to get promoted but they are not ready to pass him over.

And Alvaro Rubalcaba (24) is playing SS now in Burlington but it looks like he started the season with the 66ers. Is that true? If so, he's headed the wrong way.

Org-filler SS and C prospects often bounce around levels because they’re specialized to those positions which are usually thin. Wouldn’t read too much into it. 

It really doesn't matter who's above or below the top prospects.  If the org felt he was ready, they'd move him up and find a spot.  We know them to be very aggressive in this regard so there must be some very particular reasons why he's not in A ball.  He's also of the 15 youngest in the league and leads in hrs and is 5th in ops among those qualified.  

Being super aggressive with a guy who recently had a swing overhaul and whiffs at a 35% clip doesn't seem overly necessary.  

personally think they've been a little too aggressive with Adams and Maitan 

38 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

It really doesn't matter who's above or below the top prospects.  If the org felt he was ready, they'd move him up and find a spot.  We know them to be very aggressive in this regard so there must be some very particular reasons why he's not in A ball.  He's also of the 15 youngest in the league and leads in hrs and is 5th in ops among those qualified.  

Being super aggressive with a guy who recently had a swing overhaul and whiffs at a 35% clip doesn't seem overly necessary.  

personally think they've been a little too aggressive with Adams and Maitan 

Maitan for sure. He probably needed to be in Arizona last year and Orem this year. 

I like the idea of Hermosillo as the 4th OF the next couple seasons gradually transitioning to Jones as 4th OF.  Jones hasn't hit at 2B.  How about an OF of Trout-Adell-Marsh-Jones...

I wonder if Jones could take on a Jarrod Dyson like role with the Royals awhile back...pinch run / steal bases / play defense, etc.

3 minutes ago, Chris said:

I like the idea of Hermosillo as the 4th OF the next couple seasons gradually transitioning to Jones as 4th OF.  Jones hasn't hit at 2B.  How about an OF of Trout-Adell-Marsh-Jones...

I wonder if Jones could take on a Jarrod Dyson like role with the Royals awhile back...pinch run / steal bases / play defense, etc.

from what I've seen, Herm is faster than Jones 

Adams is the fastest guy in the org right now in terms of raw speed.  Maybe Deveaux.  But Adams could have that Dyson role if he doesn't fulfill his potential at the dish.  

7 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Rainier Rivas is hitting .400/.512/.543 in 86 PA in the DSL. Maybe time to bring him state-side.

He's probably not going anywhere until next year due to his age. The culture shock right now of moving stateside just as he turns 18 could have a rough impact.

3 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

He's probably not going anywhere until next year due to his age. The culture shock right now of moving stateside just as he turns 18 could have a rough impact.

depends on the org and the kid.  There are plenty of players in the AZL who are his age or younger.  

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Rainier Rivas is hitting .400/.512/.543 in 86 PA in the DSL. Maybe time to bring him state-side.

He should've been brought stateside already, along with Raider Uceta when he was promoted. But as I've been told, so much of their promotion is dependent upon factors that aren't on the diamond.

Making their bed, hygiene, how they interact with teammates and coaches, how they're doing in the weight room, how well they stick to their nutrition plans, how they handle a strict, regimented routine, what they choose to do with their free time outside of the academy, how they're doing in their classes, how quickly they pick up English, how seriously they take their studies...

The academy's ultimate product is baseball, but it's more of a life school. Kids are taking high school classes, many of which hardly know how to read or write, and on top of those, they're expected to learn a new language and culture without actually being in that culture and play baseball better than the other guy. 

It's an up hill battle. And they talent level shifts from year to year. I've been told some years, watching those games isn't very different than watching a random JV game in Southern California. Others, it's college level but with more speed. 

There's just a lot of factors that go into it, and not a whole lot of information any organization is willing to release. The whole DSL is still very much something that's shrouded in secrecy. The best source of material, outside of traveling the to attend games or knowing someone within the organization is to watch pelotero. Even that only begins to scratch the surface.

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Oliver Ortega - 7ip, 2h, 1er, 1bb, 7k.  

dominant start.  curve, fastball and change all impressive.  

I could see him getting move up soon.  

He's Rule 5 eligible this offseason, so it'll be interesting to see what they do with him this year...I imagine if they're planning on protecting him, which certainly seems possible, they'd like to get him closer to MLB, but we did them add Jesus Castillo and Luis Madero both when they had only really played A+. 

Speaking of Jesus Castillo, it's a little curious that they pulled him from the rotation a couple weeks back. He had been cruising at AA, really only one bad start. I wonder if it's simply a case of limiting his innings or if they're exploring his viability as a reliever (6.2 IP, 6 H, ER, BB, 5 K) for possible MLB use.

With Sandoval having struggled just a bit in AAA, guys like Madero, Castillo, Wantz, Ortega, and Beasley all could creep into MLB depth chart sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

He's Rule 5 eligible this offseason, so it'll be interesting to see what they do with him this year...I imagine if they're planning on protecting him, which certainly seems possible, they'd like to get him closer to MLB, but we did them add Jesus Castillo and Luis Madero both when they had only really played A+. 

Speaking of Jesus Castillo, it's a little curious that they pulled him from the rotation a couple weeks back. He had been cruising at AA, really only one bad start. I wonder if it's simply a case of limiting his innings or if they're exploring his viability as a reliever (6.2 IP, 6 H, ER, BB, 5 K) for possible MLB use.

With Sandoval having struggled just a bit in AAA, guys like Madero, Castillo, Wantz, Ortega, and Beasley all could creep into MLB depth chart sooner rather than later.

The Angels moved Castillo to relief to coax his missing velocity back, seed if they can sharpen up his breaking ball and improve his career prospects. It's clear he can get hitters out at the highest levels, but the velocity still say 87-88 in the rotation. 

I've seen him comp'd with Noe Ramirez, as a reliever who relies more of deception and movement. 

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

The Angels moved Castillo to relief to coax his missing velocity back, seed if they can sharpen up his breaking ball and improve his career prospects. It's clear he can get hitters out at the highest levels, but the velocity still say 87-88 in the rotation. 

I've seen him comp'd with Noe Ramirez, as a reliever who relies more of deception and movement. 

Good career comp at least with Noe...that makes a lot of sense. So the move was made to try and boost his MLB chances, good to see. 

With Noe out of options, it also makes sense to track down someone who can fill that role similarly too.

Not Angels related, but MacKenzie Gore (picked 3rd overall in the Jo Adell draft) was just promoted to AA.  His overall line for the season has been:

15 starts, 79.1 IP, 1.02 ERA 20 BB 110Ks (2.3BB/9 and 12.5 K/9) .706 WHIP.  

That is crazy

4 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

Not Angels related, but MacKenzie Gore (picked 3rd overall in the Jo Adell draft) was just promoted to AA.  His overall line for the season has been:

That is crazy

That whole org is crazy. They have like seven pitchers in the Top 100.

51 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

That is crazy

Padres rotation is going to be solid with Paddock, Gore, Lucchesi, Richards and Allen/Lauer/whoever next year. 

Edited by Second Base

I don't think the Angels would manipulate Adell's service time, so he'll start next year in RF. But if they do deal Calhoun at the deadline, it wouldn't surprise me if the Angels used Herm, Ward ab's Walsh out there to finish the year, to see if one of them takes the spot and runs with it, thus securing an inside track on a reserve spot for 2020.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Also, probably reading into it too much, but seeing as how Adell and Hermosillo are both seeing playing time primarily in RF now leads me to believe they're prepping for the possibility of dealing Calhoun, or declining to pick up his option.

21 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I don't think the Angels would manipulate Adell's service time, so he'll start next year in RF. But if they do deal Calhoun at the deadline, it wouldn't surprise me if the Angels used Herm, Ward ab's Walsh out there to finish the year, to see if one of them takes the spot and runs with it, thus securing an inside track on a reserve spot for 2020.

Yeah, I've speculated that before too...if Calhoun is dealt, it makes sense to give that playing time to Parker, Hermosillo, Goodwin, Walsh, Ward, Lund, whoever before Adell. 

• We'll need a 4th OF next year and this is the best way to see who to keep, especially with Goodwin and Parker out of options
  • It's likely Hermosillo's only real shot at grabbing any guaranteed extended playing time for his Angel career
  • Adell doesn't need to be added to the 40-man yet, and the 40-man is full with a lot of guys on the Rule 5 bubble this winter. Add him when it's absolutely necessary - Opening Day even.
  • Could be the best chance for fringier guys like Walsh and Ward to find playing time and establish their place on the depth charts or boost trade value