• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels Interested in Nathan Eovaldi

totdprods

Based on previous injuries and the future risk they incur Eovaldi will likely receive 4-5 years at 14M-16M per year. Will probably top out around 80M, give or take based on actual demand. Realize that if he had a cleaner bill of health we would hear rumors of him reaching 100M or so. Those previous surgeries will put a cap on his maximum and he will probably get multiple offers at that maximum so it will come down to personal preference or whomever throws in the extra year of guarantee.

For me, it isnt just about the health concerns. This guy has just never been all that great. I think he would be a helpful addition, dont get me wrong, but I wouldn't expect him to be more than a league average pitcher. Like a Jeff Samardzija, but without the clean health history.

"Across 22 appearances (21 starts) divided between Tampa Bay and Boston, Eovaldi pitched to a solid 3.81 ERA/3.60 FIP with 8.19 K/9, 1.62 BB/9 and a 45.6 percent groundball rate. Among pitchers who threw at least 100 innings, Eovaldi finished third in both average fastball velocity (97.4 mph) and infield fly percentage (15.7), tied for sixth in BB/9, and 12th in K/BB ratio (5.05). He also yielded a paltry .284 expected weighted on-base average, an even more impressive figure than the .293 real wOBA hitters registered against him."

sounds like he was pretty good during the 2018 regular season 

Just some food for thought: despite being in the big leagues 7 seasons, Eovaldi has only once eclipsed 155 innings. His career ERA+ is 96. For his career, he has struck out only 6.8 batters per 9, while giving up 9.4 hits and a very average 1.34 WHIP. 

He isn't exactly young either, so I am not convinced he simply figured things out this year. This is a guy who, but for the postseason, would probably be looking at something like 3/36 to 4/52 max.

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

We don't want Eovaldi. We want young starters who haven't had TJ surgery and will sign for really cheap and won't cost a draft pick and have a career ERA under 3.50. It's not that difficult.

no, we want to trade that guy.

I remember making fun of my dodger buddies when they traded him for hanley. I thought hed turn out to be really good. (Mainly i just wanted to trash talk my buddies).

He struck me as a richards type. 

He wouldnt be an ace, but i would love to pick this guy up. And i know most on here arent feeling it, but id reach out to joe kelly as well. Hes a local kid, might be able to get him for a deal.

45 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Just some food for thought: despite being in the big leagues 7 seasons, Eovaldi has only once eclipsed 155 innings. His career ERA+ is 96. For his career, he has struck out only 6.8 batters per 9, while giving up 9.4 hits and a very average 1.34 WHIP. 

He isn't exactly young either, so I am not convinced he simply figured things out this year. This is a guy who, but for the postseason, would probably be looking at something like 3/36 to 4/52 max.

do you really care how he did 6 or 7 years ago?

The Angels are in a position where they will have to take some gambles to become a very good team in the next 2 years. Our pitching options in the minors just aren't there yet. Like Lou implied, you are not getting a proven pitcher with little injury history in the prime of his career for a reasonable price. Those guys end up getting 30 million per year (Scherzer, Kershaw, Verlander, etc)

So I'm cool giving someone with his upside a look

3 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

The Angels are in a position where they will have to take some gambles to become a very good team in the next 2 years. Our pitching options in the minors just aren't there yet. 

So I'm cool giving someone with his upside 

Agreed. Truth is, we have our backs against the wall. Have to replace richards and ohtani...and nobody in the minors is ready to do that.

There arent any perfect options available out there. We still have to pick at least one, if not two.

13 minutes ago, Lou said:

do you really care how he did 6 or 7 years ago?

It's the sample size. This isnt a guy who has been a picture of health. In 7 seasons, he has pitched a full season just once. I wouldn't give a guy like that 70-80 million because, chances are, he will continue not to be someone who can pitch a full season.

To be clear, I like the guy and would be happy to have him join the team. I just think he is going to get colossally overpaid given his track record.

27 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

The Angels are in a position where they will have to take some gambles to become a very good team in the next 2 years. Our pitching options in the minors just aren't there yet. Like Lou implied, you are not getting a proven pitcher with little injury history in the prime of his career for a reasonable price. Those guys end up getting 30 million per year (Scherzer, Kershaw, Verlander, etc)

So I'm cool giving someone with his upside a look

This.  Our options are free agency or trades. I hope Angels can come away Eovaldi and Bucholz.  Otherwise, seems like trades are the fall back option. Could be lots of possibilities but so many teams are looking for pitching. There’s no sure bets anywhere. 

1 hour ago, wopphil said:

It's the sample size. This isnt a guy who has been a picture of health. In 7 seasons, he has pitched a full season just once. I wouldn't give a guy like that 70-80 million because, chances are, he will continue not to be someone who can pitch a full season.

To be clear, I like the guy and would be happy to have him join the team. I just think he is going to get colossally overpaid given his track record.

Yep, this is my take, too.

Perhaps this is just me being jaded after the last few years, but Eovaldi feels like type of guy that we sign to a pretty big deal, then he’s hurt in ST, makes 4 starts in May, gets hurt again, then we keep paying him for four more years for nothing. Not saying that will happen, but these high-risk guys haven’t worked out great for us. Obviously it won’t happen, but if this was a short term not much money deal, I’d be fine with it. But the idea of giving him several years at 15-ish per feels like the exact sort of decision the Angels would make to ensure continued mediocrity.