• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Is Adell really that good?

Torridd

3 hours ago, Kevinb said:

ARod 930 OPS 696 HR 

Tejada 791 OPS 307 HR

Jeter 817 OPS 260 HR

Nomar 882 OPS 229 HR

Simmons 698 OPS 60 HR 

Simmons is great at what he does. Let's put down the crack pipe on him being the greatest and once in a life time player. We have seen great short stops before. 

Not one of them can match him in the field. Comparing batting statistics misses the point. Ozzie Smith wasn't the greatest hitter either, but he made plays that I didn't think were humanly possible.

Ask yourself this: You are managing Game 7 of the World Series. You have a one-run lead in the ninth, and your best defensive players are out there to clinch the win. Which of the players on that list would you replace Simmons with? I wouldn't, period.

6 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

Not one of them can match him in the field. Comparing batting statistics misses the point. Ozzie Smith wasn't the greatest hitter either, but he made plays that I didn't think were humanly possible.

Ask yourself this: You are managing Game 7 of the World Series. You have a one-run lead in the ninth, and your best defensive players are out there to clinch the win. Which of the players on that list would you replace Simmons with? I wouldn't, period.

I think the only name in baseball history that that could be given to such a question without laughter being the appropriate response (that includes Visquel) is Ozzie Smith. Defensively, they are each other’s only peer. 

3 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

I think the only name in baseball history that that could be given to such a question without laughter being the appropriate response (that includes Visquel) is Ozzie Smith. Defensively, they are each other’s only peer. 

Precisely my point. The others were better hitters, but for shortstops and center fielders in particular, a big stick had better not be all that you have.

8 hours ago, Tank said:

i know we're not even in december yet, chuck, but this needs serious consideration for post of the year.

grich, we should have lunch some time. i'll invite alex curry along, too.

The crappy thing is, if you guys go to in N out, you can only eat the fries.

"Poor tank" - nate

4 hours ago, Kevinb said:

ARod 930 OPS 696 HR 

Tejada 791 OPS 307 HR

Jeter 817 OPS 260 HR

Nomar 882 OPS 229 HR

Simmons 698 OPS 60 HR 

Simmons is great at what he does. Let's put down the crack pipe on him being the greatest and once in a life time player. We have seen great short stops before. 

in an argument about simmons' defensive prowess, these offensive numbers don't really affect the discussion.

19 hours ago, Dochalo said:

prospects always come with risk.  regardless of what we think of him, it's all about what the club thinks of him.  

I think that was very true of Wood.  dude came off a monster 2005 with 101 xbh.  Was very good again at AA in 2006.  Then kinda tailed off a bit in AAA in 2007 which led to a brief cup of coffee.  Then he got a shot early in 2008 at age 23 and I think it was clear to everyone in the org that he's was never going to be a superstar.  

Adell has way more upside. As much as any prospect in the game right now or at least that's the perception.  But we'll get a better idea of who he's really going to be as 2019 unfolds.  

Chances are, if the halos don't think he's overrated as a prospect then other teams have likely come to that conclusion as well.  If a team is willing to give up more for him than would have been expected based on internal valuations then he could get traded.  

My guess though, is that the team is very high on him and he's probably untouchable.  There's still a ways to go and it may not work out, but my guess is that he's an avg to slightly above major league player within 2 years at his floor.  

Doc, when do you think he'll get a "cup of coffee?"