• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Yusei Kikuchi attended the same high school as Shohei Ohtani

Chuck

I posted this in the Pick 3 thread....

I'm not keen on Kikuchi tons of lower leg movement which throws off his balance. Which has been a problem with his curveball and consistency with his change up. Fastball velo has dropped a bit 96 to 93-91 as he threw a lot of innings in 2017 also his slider has lost some bite after a nagging shoulder injury this year. He has had to rely on his secondary pitches this year due to velo drop and less bite on the slider. Has a couple different follow through motions which lends to a lack of consistency within the zone they make him an area pitcher. He misses spots up and down due to release point and balance from bouncing through his follow through. Japan leagues hitters miss those or give up and take the pitch. MLB hitters will not.

Maybe, maybe not. What do I know... shoulders linger and are harder to return to form than a TJ....  A change in mechanics due to shoulder woes could lead him into a TJ situation in the future.

14 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Maybe, maybe not. What do I know... shoulders linger and are harder to return to form than a TJ....  A change in mechanics due to shoulder woes could lead him into a TJ situation in the future.

I haven't watched any video - but shoulder pain is a big red flag in pitchers - we've gotten used to the recovery rate in TJ surgery, with a recovery rate exceeding 90% - it's almost routine.  

Labrum and/or rotator cuff tears?  For pitchers, it's *still* a career-ender - they rarely recover - poking around, I see a 14% recovery rate.  

Without a comprehensive imaging study on his shoulder, I wouldn't even consider signing him.   

2 hours ago, DCAngelsFan said:

I haven't watched any video - but shoulder pain is a big red flag in pitchers - we've gotten used to the recovery rate in TJ surgery, with a recovery rate exceeding 90% - it's almost routine.  

Labrum and/or rotator cuff tears?  For pitchers, it's *still* a career-ender - they rarely recover - poking around, I see a 14% recovery rate.  

Without a comprehensive imaging study on his shoulder, I wouldn't even consider signing him.   

Well, adjustments of mechanics while pitching through a shoulder problem can create other issues including adding more stress on the elbow at which it gives out and the subsequent TJ surgery. A lost season and a half for TJ and then more to fix the shoulder issues possibly..... meh for the $$$$ I would toss it at Eovaldi his issues have been TJ 2x and not much in the shoulder side. The way he threw in the series out of the bullpen. I may even give him the option of two contracts as a starter 4/65 or our closer 3+1/48.

Japanese left-hander Yusei Kikuchi is likely to be posted toward the end of November.

Kikuchi will travel to the United States next week for a physical, and then the posting process will begin a couple weeks later. Under the new rules, his former team in Japan, the Seibu Lions, will get a posting fee that is determined by the value of the MLB contract Kikuchi winds up signing. The 27-year-old southpaw should draw offers from a range of different clubs after registering a 3.08 ERA and 153/45 K/BB ratio over 163 2/3 innings in the Pacific League in 2018. He put up an even better 1.97 ERA and 217/49 K/BB ratio over 187 2/3 innings in 2017.

I'm a fan of the Seibu Lions and Yusei was our ace, but I never trusted him in big games. He has crumbled under under pressure too many times.

He's had some great years, that's for sure, but he walks too many guys and gives up the long-ball, and doesn't have a splitter, the pitch that the Japanese pitchers have depended and thrived on so much in the Majors. I don't see upside either so I would recommend passing on him.

Also, he has not been friends with Shohei either, and it seems to me that he does not like to be compared to the super star that Ootani is.

for those of you unfamiliar with the workings of  @moccasin, he brought us this gem earlier in the year: 

On May 10, 2018 at 4:32 AM, moccasin said:

Ichiro might be the most recognizable person in Japan. He's probably more famous than the prime minister, and may be respected and revered more than any person in Japan. But despite his sky-high status, he couldn't escape the dilemma of being known to be incapable of impacting the outcomes of games, in his own country.

Because Japanese people became so used to seeing the news headline "Ichiro has x hits, but the Mariners lose(win)", the abbreviated version of "but the Mariners" in Japanese became slang that could be used in instances where doing something good(or bad) affects the outcome in the opposite way. 

He was not just a singles hitter, he was an infield hit hitter. Combined with OFs playing in on him, he was unable to drive in runners in from 2nd, and the highest paid player not driving in runs wasn't a good situation.  It hurt especially because his team was usually able to pitch well.

I'm not blaming Ichiro at all, I'm a huge fan of his. When he had the Edgar Martinezes and Bret Boones hitting after him, he was very effective as a lead-off man. it's just that the Mariners in Ichiro's prime were poorly constructed.

note: this is also helpful for those that have read the phrase "but the Mariners" and wondered about its origin.

@red321