• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

5 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Well, Morton and Lynn signed.  Obviously the other 2.  There’s still guys for sure but you don’t want to see them completely miss on guys because they were pursuing “unrealistic” trades.   My concern may be a bit misplaced.  

I show up to this place every morning expecting to see something cool and I don’t get shit !!!!! Except that apparently the trade offers are unrealistic.  Let me have my pissiness. 

there's a difference between misjudging and purposefully avoiding it.   Make a 3 year commitment to Lance Lynn would have been foolish.  Spending $140 mil on Corbin was foolish.  Morton wanted to be on the east coast.  We probably had a similar bid in on Eovaldi and even he went a bit over market.  Happ got 17m per year from a team that won 100 games last year.  Do you think we should have added the third year to pry him away?  Richards got a ridiculous guarantee.  

We went in early on Cozart last year and it hasn't worked out.  There are still options.  Let's see how it works out.  

I would be very happy with Kikuchi, Gio Gonzales and Ramos.  

13 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Well, Morton and Lynn signed.  Obviously the other 2.  There’s still guys for sure but you don’t want to see them completely miss on guys because they were pursuing “unrealistic” trades.   My concern may be a bit misplaced.  

I show up to this place every morning expecting to see something cool and I don’t get shit !!!!! Except that apparently the trade offers are unrealistic.  Let me have my pissiness. 

Morton didn't seem to have any interest in West Coast teams, so much like Corbin, I don't think they had a shot unless they dramatically overpaid, which Eppler flatly does not do. For those same reasons, Eovaldi and Lynn did not work either. $10m a year for Lynn for three years is just too much. 

It's been a slow offseason because we just don't match up very well with this free agent class, either due to dollars or location preference, and because the trade market is just too expensive for what we're willing to give up. I'll again throw my suspicions that Machado or Harper wind up on our radar simply because their markets are murky, we'll fail to have luck on any other FA targets, and in signing one of them, will be able to free up some prospect currency to help with pitching. And, for obvious reasons, we aren't in a rush to overpay for either of those two yet either.

I still think we'll see at least one major addition this offseason.

I do think that Eppler misjudged the market early on, and a TON of solid options via the trade market and free agency are off the board and he's sort of left in the dust.  

That's on Eppler.  But it's not time to panic yet, because there are still other options available in both markets, and he has time to make a move.

Again, this will all end up ok if Eppler ends up getting Yusei Kikuchi and some other pitcher with upside and reliability before Spring Training.  But if Eppler ends up with his dick in his hands and is left with Gio Gonzalez and Derek Holland, then yeah, I'll be pissed because he screwed p big time. 

I believe Eppler will get the job done.  He's been solid since he arrived and has earned the benefit of the doubt.  I am concerned, but confident. 

Just now, True Grich said:

Yeah, who thought Corbin would get six years, $140 million....  3 YEARS for Happ, etc.

Did he really misjudge?  Or was he just being smart?

smart so far.  lots of players left but we do need rotation help big time.  I understand waiting out the current market as all of the contracts I've seen haven't been worth it.  I'd rather have two lesser guys at a good price than overpay for a mid market type.  Awhile back I made a post about non-tier one SP getting 3 years or more and if I remember correctly, there were essentially no deals that actually worked out well out of something like 50 of them over the past 10+ years.  The only ones that did were on foreign players coming from Asia on their first contract like Darvish, Tanaka and Riu.  

3 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Yeah, who thought Corbin would get six years, $140 million....  3 YEARS for Happ, etc.

Did he really misjudge?  Or was he just being smart?

By his own admission, he misjudged the trade market.  And as far as the free agents, I think he simply missed on Happ and Eovaldi.  Happ only got two years, but those two were from the Yanks, so I get it.  Eovaldi, I think Eppler could've been more aggressive on with the price, but Eovaldi went with the World Champs, can't blame him.  He was smart not to go 3 years on Lynn.  Smart not to go up to the 140 that Corbin got.

We'll see where he goes from here.