• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

3 years for Happ?  Yeah, F that noise.  Eppler sticking to the plan of not signing dumb contracts.

Happ's agent said that the first team to offer 3 years would get him so now you know who that was...

If there is money to spend on anyone, I think they will put it towards Machado since he's young, can play an excellent defensive 3B, is not blocking anyone really (Ward is likely not ready), and won't cost a draft pick.  If they lose out on Machado, they'll look to Moustakas to see if he'll take a 1 year deal and, if not, you are probably looking at Cozart again at 3B and Fletcher at 2B.

I think they'll pursue Ramos but would be alright with a 1 year stop gap if the cost is too high.  

I think the plan is to avoid injury and uncertainty in regards to starting pitching which is why I don't see them pursuing question marks or projects like Matt Harvey, Trevor Cahill, Derek Holland, Clay Buchholz...guys like that.

They will obviously look at Keuchel but I'm not sure they pull the trigger on that one.  I feel like someone in the area of Lance Lynn, Gio Gonzalez, or Mike Fiers on 1 or 2 year deals while also looking at the possibility of bringing back Shoemaker.

Eppler will do what he's done...not sign guys that will cost a draft pick (why Machado is still play as opposed to someone like Harper who would still cost a draft pick), not spend prospect currency unnecessarily, not commit to huge deals on older players, continue to work the wavier wire, minor league free agency, and cash/PTBNL trades for talent that can't make other team's 40 man rosters.  

20 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

This offseason has sucked extreme ass so far.  One of these years I’ll program myself to not expect anything at the winter meetings.  

I also blame Pujolw for this. 

It really has, but I understand the logic behind why Eppler is waiting it out at least.  He needs pitching asking prices to fall into his range, and generally agents are pushing to get as much as they can so they're still working the lobby, but eventually their asking price will fall into the Angels range.  Hopefully that happens this offseason. 

But I'm with you, I was really hoping for more. 

Also, the latest update indicates Pujols is recovering at the expected schedule.  But if you're looking for any indication as to how the Angels view Pujols in the upcoming season, I'd take a look at the roster.  If they sign a Daniel Murphy type or trade for Jose Martinez, then I think that'll tell you how they feel about Pujols going forward.  But so far, they've removed his only competition (Jose Miguel Fernandez), and opted not to add Jared Walsh to the 40 man. 

As far as I can tell, Eppler fully intends to have Albert Pujols play a lot in 2019.  Sucks for the Angels but that's the way it goes. 

3 hours ago, True Grich said:

I hear you.  The last time the Angels needed pitching, they signed Josh Hamilton...    But like you, I also wouldn't mind seeing Harper in Anaheim.  I just don't believe it's going to happen.

I agree. I give us as much of a chance of signing him as pujols rebounding. Sure, its possible. But its not happening.

3 hours ago, wopphil said:

Machado just makes so much more sense if the team is going to spend that kind of money.

I partially agree. I agree in that it takes care of a far bigger need (unless he still demands to play SS).

But 2 things. 1, I just dont view his bat the same as Harpers. I could be totally wrong on that. But i dont. And 2, from a hype standpoint, Machado is basically a villain at this point. Known as a dick, thought to be lazy, and looked like a zero when it counted against boston. I just dont really like him for the money/baggage.

Neither would fix our problems. We need pitching more than anything else. And not just pitching to try and win in the playoffs, but pitching just to stay at .500. But I think Harper hitting behind trout would be insane wed still need pitching, but that would be manny/ortiz in the 2000s. Upton, ohtani and simmons rounding out the MOTO...

That lineup would at least keep skaggs and heaney in a huge chunk of any start, i thinkm

48 minutes ago, Second Base said:

It really has, but I understand the logic behind why Eppler is waiting it out at least.  He needs pitching asking prices to fall into his range, and generally agents are pushing to get as much as they can so they're still working the lobby, but eventually their asking price will fall into the Angels range.  Hopefully that happens this offseason. 

But I'm with you, I was really hoping for more. 

Why would we expect them to "fall into our range".  At this point most deals have been overpays.   If thats what we are waiting on we might want to find a really comfy chair.  

For their asking price, both Machado and Harper come with warts.

Machado saw his stats falter after the trade and he's been up and down in his career, although not to the extreme of seemingly every other year Harper.

Machado and Harper both have shown their douche sides too, granted not as much recently from Harper.