• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

33 minutes ago, Fullmer17 said:

Eppler said Tuesday was about 50/50 in terms of meeting with agents and talking with other clubs about potential trades. He also clarified his football analogy from Monday, when he said they could go for a field goal but wanted to score a touchdown.

"There are some small things we could do right now, but we're not sure we want to do those quite yet in hopes we can do things that are above smaller," Eppler said.

Honestly,  this statement makes him sound like a moron.  

4 hours ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

The longer this drags on, the more I think the Angels are real players for Harper. Favorites? Maybe not...but I feel like we are definitely making a solid pitch.

Machado seems more likely than Harper in my opinion. But I agree - I think the Angels are quietly looking at either. 

They could stick to what they have in-house already plus a few very minor signings and it would be a promising team if their only significant add was Manny or Bryce.

Jon HeymanVerified account @JonHeyman 2m2 minutes ago
Charlie Morton, the 2017 World Series hero whose career took off in Houston, will decide where to sign soon, perhaps as early as today. He has multiple two-year offers to choose from. Deal could be worth close to $30M.

I'd like to think the Angels are in at ~2/$30m. 

Morton himself had been stating he was leaning towards Houston or retirement earlier in the year/last offseason, but that talk seems to have quieted.
Still, you'd think that with those thoughts, Atlanta, Houston, and Philly - all teams needing SP and who have a history with Morton - seem to have the best shot. 
Interestingly, J.A. Happ seems to have those same teams in play for relatively similar dollars, so their fates may be somewhat intertwined. 

If Morton signs today, the Happ and Keuchel markets could start to come into shape, as well as any trades.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Machado seems more likely than Harper in my opinion. But I agree - I think the Angels are quietly looking at either. 

They could stick to what they have in-house already plus a few very minor signings and it would be a promising team if their only significant add was Manny or Bryce.

Machado is in line with the building the farm comment. Harper is not. He’s the only major add that doesn’t have draft pick compensation. I could see a bigger payout for him given the circumstances at least from the angels perspective. 

Perhaps the angels can swing cozart and a mid tier prospect in a trade with new York for gray. That could free up even more money for someone like Ramos. Then go grab a Zach Britton or Cody Allen and you have an upgrade at every position of need

Machado

gray

ramos

britton/Allen 

6 hours ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

The longer this drags on, the more I think the Angels are real players for Harper. Favorites? Maybe not...but I feel like we are definitely making a solid pitch.

Theyre probably waiting to announce they signed Harper and extended Trout until january, for tax reasons.

9 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Machado is in line with the building the farm comment. Harper is not. He’s the only major add that doesn’t have draft pick compensation. I could see a bigger payout for him given the circumstances at least from the angels perspective. 

Perhaps the angels can swing cozart and a mid tier prospect in a trade with new York for gray. That could free up even more money for someone like Ramos. 

I don't think losing one draft pick would turn them off Harper - for someone a little more mid-tier like Keuchel or Grandal, or someone that's going to command insane money for their role like Kimbrel, I'd agree. Machado makes a little more sense because there's more need in the IF for an impact long-term add, and he doesn't have draft pick compensation. 

One thing we're seeing with both Manny and Harper is we don't really see any slam-dunk interest from multiple owners willing to spend big, aside from Philly, and that uncertainty in their markets probably cracks the door open just enough to motivate Arte into taking a peek. 

Every time the Angels have made a big signing, it was because Arte made a FA feel like they were welcome here, wanted, and would find a home, regardless of their warts - Vlad's back, Hamilton's history, Pujols' commitment. Pretty safe to assume Justin Upton re-signed here quickly for similar reasons. I can see the public fears being murmured about Manny's hustle or Bryce's demands or arrogance paving the way for Arte to lay out his welcome mat. It fits the context of the past deals he's made.

Ive been saying it for a few months. Im not a Harper guy, i dont think it would be smart to sign him when we have outfielders in the minors and need pitching more than anything else. 

But i kind of hope were in the running at least, and i think we can afford him. And he and trout together would be one of those things people talk about for years.

It would also, IMO, be an effective mask while we still quietly focus on the farm, and 2020-beyond 

7 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Ive been saying it for a few months. Im not a Harper guy, i dont think it would be smart to sign him when we have outfielders in the minors and need pitching more than anything else. 

But i kind of hope were in the running at least, and i think we can afford him. And he and trout together would be one of those things people talk about for years.

It would also, IMO, be an effective mask while we still quietly focus on the farm, and 2020-beyond 

Machado just makes so much more sense if the team is going to spend that kind of money.

Machado should get less money, doesn't cost a pick, and 'blocks' fewer prospects of impact, so that makes him more realistic, but I think either would have similar impact at the end of the day, and I think the Angels, if they are in the market for a high-impact bat, would be fine with either. 

Harper muddies payroll a little more given what's already committed to OF/1B/DH, but I'm confident Eppler is flexible enough to make either outcome work if we sign one of them.

36 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I hear you.  The last time the Angels needed pitching, they signed Josh Hamilton...    But like you, I also wouldn't mind seeing Harper in Anaheim.  I just don't believe it's going to happen.

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

Another one bites the dust!

Freakin' Billy Eppler, you're running low on targets.  Make a move, sir!

Eh, not crazy about Happ. Hellickson, Pomeranz, Harvey, Sanchez, Holland, Garcia, Lynn, Jackson, Santana, even Martin Perez...any one of them can probably be just as productive as Happ if you get lucky and for millions less.