• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/12/j-a-happ-rumors-tuesday.html

"The key question remains whether Happ will secure a guaranteed third season. Passan says that he has yet to receive such an offer. Happ’s representatives have “indicated he’ll sign with the first” team that meets that asking price..."
"To this point, the Phillies, Braves, Yankees, Brewers, Reds, Angels, Astros, Twins, Blue Jays, and White Sox have all been connected to Happ. It’s certainly not impossible to imagine a few other organizations with possible interest as well."

Man, I hadn't realized how old Happ is...

Eppler has so far shown the willingness to chase top free agent pitching, but given that the Angels have been ok with being outbid so far, it appears that Eppler is being very measured in his offers. Sure, he could have gone into a bidding war with the Red Sox and Nats over Eovaldi and Corbin, but he won't overextend the Angels financially. 

So I'm guessiang Eppler has made a fair offer to JA Happ, but he won't go beyond that fair offer to the detriment of the team. 

3 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Also I think it's hilarious that fans thought Andujar was robbed for ROY, yet are more than willing to trade 6 years of him for 3 years of a frequently injured, yet high upside starter. 

You don't see the Angels entertaining any such offers for Ohtani.

yanks would probably just sign Machado to replace him.  

12 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Maybe. And if he does it better not be from us. Also I guarantee you that his agent is the one said that he wants the 3 years. No team has offered it yet. He may want 3 years. But...

being said that he's got a whole slew of 2yr deals on the table and that the first team to offer that third year will win his services.  I agree that there's no reason to go to that third year on him.  

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

That was likely the plan since the beginning. Either the Yanks or the Phils would get Machado and Harper. 

we all know that Andujar is overrated because of his terrible defense and I am sure their GM knows it as well.  If they end up moving him for someone like Syndergaard or deGrom  and then get Macahdo, it's gonna be tough to think that once WC spot isn't already gone between them and BOS.  

15 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

we all know that Andujar is overrated because of his terrible defense and I am sure their GM knows it as well.  If they end up moving him for someone like Syndergaard or deGrom  and then get Macahdo, it's gonna be tough to think that once WC spot isn't already gone between them and BOS.  

I'm already operating under that conclusion, and that will likely remain the scenario for at least the next half decade, maybe more given their financial clout. More often than not, both Boston and New York will be in the post season. 

The Angels are battling the Astros and A's for the AL West, and the A's, Rays and Twins for a Wild Card spot. 

In order to dance with the prettiest girl at the dance, you first have to get to the dance. Once inside, then you can worry about how you're going to go to approach her. 

So if we're to assume Kikuchi's market will be similar to Ohtani's, his most likely suitors are the West Coast teams, including the Mariners, A's, Giants, Angels, Dodgers and Padres, as well as other teams with a need and a Japanese presence, like the Rangers, Cubs and Yankees. 

Now if we narrow it down, I think it's safe to say that the Mariners aren't taking on any additional money as they've been forced into somewhat of a rebuild, Texas is also out of the picture because they're in a rebuild of their own. The Athletics lack the financial clout to hang with the other teams, so they're out. The Cubs appear to be more focused on "fixing their offense" rather than spending their resources on more pitching. The Giants are also currently undergoing the process of cutting payroll and rebuilding, so they're out. 

So to me, I think  Kikuchi's suitors are the Angels, Padres, Dodgers and Yankees.

The Angels have Shohei Ohtani and an ever growing Japanese fan contingent. They also have money to spend and a need. 

The Padres have as bright of a future as any team in baseball, and have multiple former Japanese players working in their front office. They don't have a lot of money to spend, but they have enough to be an option. 

The Dodgers don't have that plain of a need, but they have Japanese fans, are a strong, winning ball club and have as much money available as anyone.

The Yankees lack the West Coast geography, and lack the need, but have a big Japanese presence and lots of money to spend.

If I were to say there was a favorite, I'd say it's the Angels and Padres, 

Now I think the next question is probably how much will Kikuchi cost? So far, we've seen free agent contracts hover between 10 and 30% over where the market was expected to be. If we expect Kikuchi's bidding at 50 million, it's probably at 60 million now. 

60 million over 5 years is a fine price to pay as long as you're sure this guy will project into the middle of your rotation and remain healthy, both of which aren't 100%. Plus with the signing bonus and money needing to be paid to Kikuchi's Japanese team for posting him, which probably comes out to 10-15 million, you're really looking at spending 70-75 million across 5 years. 

I guess a similar contract comp would've been the one the Angels signed CJ Wilson to, who was also a lefty that pitched in the middle of a rotation but came with question marks. Wilson was three years older than Kikuchi, but with similar stuff, mileage and build. Angels fans were frustrated with Wilson, but looking back, he pitched 4 of the 5 years he signed for, was an all-star, kept his ERA nice and low, and pitched over 175 inning three times, over 200 innings twice.

If the Angels got that from Kikuchi, that would be great.