• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

21 minutes ago, TroutField said:

Me too, he gave up the most hits of any qualified starter last year. Sounds like a time bomb 

I think you could get Gio and get reasonable enough production for dramatically less dollars and years. 

Happ, Corbin, and Eovaldi were all probably on the wish list, but at the end of the day, the Angels simply couldn't compete with the money being offered or locations they were preferring. Keuchel is likely to fall in that same category.

Kluber is 5 years older than Bauer, and has put a lot of mileage on his arm over the past 5 seasons.   His WHIP/ERA have been mostly elite in that time though.   Is he just one of those pitchers with a runner arm?   I don’t remember his delivery using any extra oomph or having the dreaded inverted W.

Bauer was somewhat durable over the past 5 seasons, but did have DL stints in at least three of those seasons though.   Is he durable enough?  His 2018 season was an elite one, but it followed FOUR 4.00+ ERA and 1.30+ WHIP seasons.   2018 = fluke or finally realizing full potential?

10 minutes ago, popo85 said:

Dodgers will probably include Verdugo 

From what ive read they dont want to move him, but might in this case.  The Dodgers are begging to move Kemp and possibly looking to deal Puig.   I have no interest in Kemp but i am among the few who have always kinda like Puigs intensity.  alas, he doesnt fit what Eppler is likely looking for.  

Joel ShermanVerified account @Joelsherman1 41s41 seconds ago
#Yankees shooting high with Sonny Gray, asked #Reds about 1 of top prospects, OF Taylor Trammell, which was a no go. Sign NYY can get something good for Gray or that they simply or asking high before settling low, Could also always partner with a prospect to get more.

Buster OlneyVerified account @Buster_ESPN 56m56 minutes ago
These are really ugly numbers for the players union, from @SlangsOnSports: the most FA relievers to sign ML deals in any offseason is 43. Last year: 39. This winter: 68 relievers, only 4 signed to ML deals so far.

Another reason why Eppler tends to not spend on the pen. I think he's been ahead of this and knows he has a good shot at replicating the successes he's had on waiver claims and ST invites for vets, and there's no shortage of those arms.

7 minutes ago, totdprods said:

One random Twitter user mentions Angels  interested in Edwin Jackson, and a MLB Espanol source tabs the Angels as being interested in Keuchel.

Well, Edwin Jackson has never played for the Angels so it would seem like he's bound to make his rounds at some point.  There are probably fewer teams he's played for than he's not played for. 

Just now, jordan said:

Well, Edwin Jackson has never played for the Angels so it would seem like he's bound to make his rounds at some point.  There are probably fewer teams he's played for than he's not played for. 

I don't buy the random Twitter account as being an actual source in any way, but he would make sense.

He and Anibal Sanchez had decent seasons last year, would come very cheaply, and would constitute a good lotto-ticket placeholder at #5 - if they flop, you bring in Pena, Canning, Suarez, etc. Better be improving the offense/catcher and at least a high-end SP though.

35 minutes ago, totdprods said:
Buster OlneyVerified account @Buster_ESPN 56m56 minutes ago
These are really ugly numbers for the players union, from @SlangsOnSports: the most FA relievers to sign ML deals in any offseason is 43. Last year: 39. This winter: 68 relievers, only 4 signed to ML deals so far.

Another reason why Eppler tends to not spend on the pen. I think he's been ahead of this and knows he has a good shot at replicating the successes he's had on waiver claims and ST invites for vets, and there's no shortage of those arms.

to me this means Billy will get a couple of major league relievers on the cheap as opposed to waiver claims.  The reliever market moved first last year and a bunch of guys were signed by now making 7-9 mil per season.  I think everyone realized what a fool's errand that was.  

back of the napkin math tells me that a lot of useful players are going to be stranded after the upper tier teams spend on or trade for the top players.  Leaving mid and lower tier teams an opportunity to grab some good talent with the bargaining chip that they probably don't need them considering where they are at.  I think Billy will be fishing from that end of the pond.  

He does need to make sure we get at least one solid starter and another that can be a back end guy though.