• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

"Let the kids play"

T.G.

So... I'm guessing most of you have seen the new ads with Ken Griffey, Jr. where they promote baseball players showing more "personality."

How do you feel about this? Do you want to see more players like Puig? or Bryce Harper? How do you feel about players admiring homeruns or giving pitchers the stare down, etc.?

I am torn about it.  I like it on some levels and yet - I despise it on others.  I used to love watching the NBA until it became too much about mugging for the camera, trash talking, etc.  I would have for baseball to go down the same road.  And yet... I like seeing a little personality injected into the game.

How do you folks feel?

I feel like the media blows everything out of proportion and every little thing is heavily scrutinized. Either that or someone is crying and getting offended about something.

Bunch of pussies everywhere. I wish players could do things with out the media over reacting about a player grabbing their own balls the wrong way. 

But it's not going to happen. I highly doubt baseball turns into as much of a joke the NBA is though, but you never know.

Stick-up-the-ass baseball culture is dumb and deserves to die, imo. Makes the game more boring, and doesn't really serve any purpose. As far as I'm concerned, its in the same stupid camp as unwritten rules (I guess it is one of those unwritten rules, along with "if you're winning by too much, you need to stop trying" and "don't try all of your options and bunt to stop a perfect game - bend over and spread for the pitcher").

Having a personality in sports entertainment should never be discouraged. At the end of the day it’s entertainment and it should be entertaining. But be authentic to each individual don’t try to be something you are not. I never minded Rodneys antics. If you don’t want someone to dance in the end zone, hit a home run off you or strike you out. Don’t let them do it. 

Calling them kids seems like a way to excuse them from acting with any maturity or composure. Nobody complains about youthful exuberance but I don't really care to get a shot of the full team celebration for every hit or walk and if somebody stands and stares at a ball that isn't well over the wall should get a kick in the nuts

The cultural of baseball will change to reflect society in general.  This happens organically, you don't need to try and suppress it.  Also, don't hold new generations to behavioral expectations of previous generations when their life experiences are completely different.

I'm not saying let the kids play.  I'm saying this shouldn't be an issue. 

If a player is comfortable with doing this, then they'll do it.  If they aren't, then they won't.  It's the difference between Bryce Harper and Mike Trout. 

And really, baseball has an efficient way of managing itself with these celebrations.  We don't need regulation or intervention.  Retaliation can be an effective tool.