• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels opt out of stadium lease in Anaheim

Thomas

On 10/16/2018 at 10:44 PM, Taylor said:

6,500 feet is not an ideal elevation for baseball. That's why the Sky Sox aren't staying.

I was just saying it would be nice if a Major League Team did make its way to The Springs someday . At the moment, Colorado Springs is a big city and all, but the suburban population is very sparse like El Paso, TX. Also, Colorado Springs is getting a replacement Minor League Team next year.

On 10/16/2018 at 4:13 PM, yk9001 said:

Help me out here.

What has having the Angels and Disneyland exactly done for the city of Anaheim?

The city looks like the same middle class to lower middle class craphole that surrounding inland OC cities are.  Fullerton, Tustin, Buena Park, Fountain Valley, etc.

I've been to a couple of the Anaheim high schools - they certainly aren't pouring extra money into those.  

So what exactly has the city gotten out of these two cash cows for the last 50 years?  I am genuinely curious.  Are sales taxes lower in Anaheim?

Fullerton is a craphole?  Huh?

50 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

What about the area where the NFL team was going to be put in the City of Industry right at the 57/60.

The City of Industry Angels

Los Angeles Angels of Diamond Bar

Los Angeles Angels of Freeways

I would love for them to build a stadium there.  Centrally located between Orange County, the IE and LA County.  Lots of land surrounding the stadium for Arte to develop as well. 

4 hours ago, IEAngelsfan said:

I would love for them to build a stadium there.  Centrally located between Orange County, the IE and LA County.  Lots of land surrounding the stadium for Arte to develop as well. 

It’s a bottleneck no matter where you’re coming from. 57 going north from OC sucks. 60/10 going east from LA sucks. 60/10 going west from the IE sucks. There’s a reason that land is vacant. 

31 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

It’s a bottleneck no matter where you’re coming from. 57 going north from OC sucks. 60/10 going east from LA sucks. 60/10 going west from the IE sucks. There’s a reason that land is vacant. 

that's exactly why i want to buy a helicopter when i win the lottery this week.

willing to give anyone here a ride (except Adam).

30 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

I am not an OC expert.

Is Fullerton and Fountain Valley a step above Anaheim on the craphole-o-meter?

Yes Fullerton and FV are a step above most of Anacrime.  Anaheim in general has its good areas and crappy areas. The 92807 area of Anaheim is nestled between Yorba Linda and Anaheim Hills and has low crime and highly rated schools.  The same can't be said for West Anaheim. If the angels leave and the city of anaheim drops the ball on redeveloping the stadium area, I think that could really hurt home owners in the area, which i am.  

Long Beach would be awesome, huge city, very diverse, has some character, lot's of freeway access.  Also Seal Beach would be great because still in OC, again near freeways, and of all that relative empty Navy land, but probably not for sale.  If you are going to build a new stadium I think you are better off going for a unique socal beachy experience and make it a destination rather than a situation similar to the existing suburban stadium. 

There is very little freeway access to where the LB Post sportswriters are suggesting.

There is a blue line stop 10 minutes away per the article.  LB is able to handle it for a week with the LB Grand Prix.  Don't know how a baseball team would do it.

As far as seal beach - are you talking about those protected swamplands?  And the freeway access is no bueno.

17 hours ago, TobiasFunke said:

What about the area where the NFL team was going to be put in the City of Industry right at the 57/60.

The City of Industry Angels

Los Angeles Angels of Diamond Bar

Los Angeles Angels of Freeways

Was thinking the same thing. at least from this area you can see the downtown LA skyscrapers. 

2 hours ago, yk9001 said:

There is very little freeway access to where the LB Post sportswriters are suggesting.

There is a blue line stop 10 minutes away per the article.  LB is able to handle it for a week with the LB Grand Prix.  Don't know how a baseball team would do it.

As far as seal beach - are you talking about those protected swamplands?  And the freeway access is no bueno.

the first thing i thought of at this suggestion was the difficulty of trying to get into long beach for a game. the traffic is already insane because it's where all of the international shipping comes in. adding a major sporting event with 30K+ people into the mix would be a way to keep a lot of people home, especially with there only being one freeway in and out (hi nate!) of the city.

requirements for a moving: major freeway access from several directions and plenty of space to build a parking lot that frank mccourt can't get his hands on. it also needs to be within shouting distance of LA since that's the name of the team.

29 minutes ago, Tank said:

it also needs to be within shouting distance of LA since that's the name of the team.

The name debacle will be a millstone around Arte's neck until the day he sells the team.  

The only other major franchise that has that kind of name headache is the Washington Redskins.

4 hours ago, yk9001 said:

Yeah, I can't see downtown LB working at all, nor most other parts due to the difficulty just getting in to most parts of LB during rush hour.  Just seems like there is a lot of empty land down around PCH/2nd Street and Seal Beach, and the nexus of the 405/605/22, but yeah, some is a wildlife refuge, some looks like oil wastelands, that big Boeing facility, etc.  Who knows just blabbing.

I like Long Beach as a location - both for selfish reasons (I grew up around there, and I take the metro every day), and for reputation reasons (the location would be GORGEOUS, and it would be fun to show it off when we are in the world series or whatever). Also, It just makes that area of Long Beach into a really interesting hub - you'd have the pike, the aquarium, and Angels stadium all right at the end of the blue line. Hell, they would probably expand the blue line to go directly into the pike/stadium at that point.

Transportation would be interesting. One one hand, the 710 would probably need to be upgraded in that area. But honestly, it should be anyways....But, I also suspect that over the next two decades, California as a state is going to start REALLY pushing people towards public transportation and away from cars (due to emissions goals). It will piss a lot of people off, but it may help the situation here. 

Also, honestly, I feel like if Dodger's stadium can pull off its location, I'm not super worried about the traffic for this location. That being said, none of this is going to happen.

Edit - Oh, I forgot the other argument for it. Arte wants the Angels to be in LA. Obviously. LB is near OC so you won't lose fans due to distance, but in LA so he can call them the LA Angels, and is a very easy to advertise location. Its a decent sized downtown, but its not so close to the Dodgers that it would be in direct competition with them.