• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Joey Gallo?

totdprods

Controllable, young, cheap, elite left-handed power, tons of walks, tons of strikeouts, can play 1B, 3B, LF, RF. All positions where we need depth, and can even spot some CF, eliminating the need for a true 4th OF...disregard the low BA and high Ks, and he's still likely going to be a very dependable source of BB and HR. Virtually identical lines the last two seasons. Obviously he'd cost a good bit and he's on a division rival, nor do our prospects match up with Texas' needs, but he does check almost all of the boxes of where have a need on the hitting spectrum.

Biggest obstacle is he likely would not get enough playing time unless Cozart moved to 2B and Gallo played predominantly 3B (until either Albert broke down or Calhoun vanished again) or Calhoun was salary dumped elsewhere with Gallo dropped into RF.

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

Controllable, young, cheap, elite left-handed power, tons of walks, tons of strikeouts, can play 1B, 3B, LF, RF. All positions where we need depth, and can even spot some CF, eliminating the need for a true 4th OF...disregard the low BA and high Ks, and he's still likely going to be a very dependable source of BB and HR. Virtually identical lines the last two seasons. Obviously he'd cost a good bit and he's on a division rival, nor do our prospects match up with Texas' needs, but he does check almost all of the boxes of where have a need on the hitting spectrum.

Biggest obstacle is he likely would not get enough playing time unless Cozart moved to 2B and Gallo played predominantly 3B (until either Albert broke down or Calhoun vanished again) or Calhoun was salary dumped elsewhere with Gallo dropped into RF.

Reports suggest the Rangers won't be trading Gallo but are considering moving Nomar Mazara. 

6 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Reports suggest the Rangers won't be trading Gallo but are considering moving Nomar Mazara. 

I would love Mazara.  I’m sure the Rangers would ask for Adell or Canning or both.  Rangers need pitching, so I imagine there’s plenty of teams out there who could provide better pitching prospects. 

12 minutes ago, jordan said:

I would love Mazara.  I’m sure the Rangers would ask for Adell or Canning or both.  Rangers need pitching, so I imagine there’s plenty of teams out there who could provide better pitching prospects. 

Mazara isn't very good.  Terrible vs. lefties.  Inflated home numbers due to hitters park.  Terrible defender.  no thanks.  

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

Mazara isn't very good.  Terrible vs. lefties.  Inflated home numbers due to hitters park.  Terrible defender.  no thanks.  

He had a down year, along with the entire Rangers team.  But I just like Mazara, though he’s probably not the best fit for the Angels. His production is not much better than 2nd half Calhoun without the stellar defense of Kole.  

22 minutes ago, jordan said:

Hmm, I think Gallo has enough holes in his game where they could get away with getting him without surrendering Adell or Canning, but I agree that it would be a lot. Probably comparable to a similar package for a solid SP; Suarez, one of Thaiss/Ward, perhaps one of Marsh/Jones, though you can probably sprinkle in two lower level guys instead - Rivas and Yan. Still, that'd be 3-4 guys.

Question is would that pique the Rangers interest? They're heavy on IF prospects and young players, which is where we'd prefer dealing from. 

If I recall, they signed D'Shawn Knowles brother...

What if the Angels also took Choo's remaining two years on? Calhoun flipped elsewhere or back to TX (they'd still come ahead $$$, and he would simply be salary dump, it'd still take some prospects.

RF Choo, 3B Gallo, CF Trout, LF Upton, DH Ohtani, 1B Pujols, SS Simmons, catcher, 2B Cozart

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Hmm, I think Gallo has enough holes in his game where they could get away with getting him without surrendering Adell or Canning, but I agree that it would be a lot. Probably comparable to a similar package for a solid SP; Suarez, one of Thaiss/Ward, perhaps one of Marsh/Jones, though you can probably sprinkle in two lower level guys instead - Rivas and Yan. Still, that'd be 3-4 guys.

Question is would that pique the Rangers interest? They're heavy on IF prospects and young players, which is where we'd prefer dealing from. 

If I recall, they signed D'Shawn Knowles brother...

Yeah I don’t see the Rangers as a good match in trading. 

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

What if the Angels also took Choo's remaining two years on? Calhoun flipped elsewhere or back to TX (they'd still come ahead $$$, and he would simply be salary dump, it'd still take some prospects.

RF Choo, 3B Gallo, CF Trout, LF Upton, DH Ohtani, 1B Pujols, SS Simmons, catcher, 2B Cozart

Neither of those players interest me, Choo or Gallo.   Choo is 36, and finished the second half hitting .217.  And his numbers are worse against lefties than Mazara.  Gallo, is all or nothing.  Those types of players are frustrating as hell.  

eppler made a point to mention that the angels were highly ranked in homeruns this year, while being very low in team obp, which as he said, "means we hit a lot of solo homeruns". i don't think it's a leap to conclude that a player like gallo would only exacerbate what he sees as a team problem. also, he said that pitching health was a big problem, as we all know. knowing that, i find the idea of trading canning, or much else of our projectable minor league pitchers, extremely unlikely.

1 hour ago, ukyah said:

eppler made a point to mention that the angels were highly ranked in homeruns this year, while being very low in team obp, which as he said, "means we hit a lot of solo homeruns". i don't think it's a leap to conclude that a player like gallo would only exacerbate what he sees as a team problem. 

no need to look any further than trout and his 39 homers and 80 or so rbis.

9 hours ago, jordan said:

Neither of those players interest me, Choo or Gallo.   Choo is 36, and finished the second half hitting .217.  And his numbers are worse against lefties than Mazara.  Gallo, is all or nothing.  Those types of players are frustrating as hell.  

I didn't realize Choo's second half had been so bad - I just noticed his solid OBP and overall numbers. Disregard.

9 hours ago, ukyah said:

eppler made a point to mention that the angels were highly ranked in homeruns this year, while being very low in team obp, which as he said, "means we hit a lot of solo homeruns". i don't think it's a leap to conclude that a player like gallo would only exacerbate what he sees as a team problem. also, he said that pitching health was a big problem, as we all know. knowing that, i find the idea of trading canning, or much else of our projectable minor league pitchers, extremely unlikely.

Yes, but Gallo has also walked more than anyone on our team not named Trout, and is as good a bet as any for 35-40 HR. He's also pretty young (25 in 2019), and while I can't see him ever being more than a three true outcome hitter, it wouldn't surprise me if his plate discipline improved a bit with age and at the very least, his walks and OBP crept up into .350+ a few seasons, especially if he was hitting in front of Trout, Ohtani, Upton (but that would be another discussion)

Primarily, I'm drawn to the fact that despite the high K/low BA, he still gets on base at a good clip, has a ton of power, and can play several positions defensively where we may fall thin, so he can sort of plug and play wherever comes up as the year goes on. Pujols gets hurt? He's our 1B. Cozart sucks or Cozart needs to move to 2B? He's our 3B. Need a CF late in game or to give Trout a day off? No need to have a traditional 4th OF, just put Gallo out there. Upton injured? Gallo in LF. Calhoun too inconsistent? Deal him, Gallo in RF. Ohtani gets hurt? DH Bert, Gallo at 1B, and you still have legit LH power.  He gives us enough depth that we don't need to call up Ward, Thaiss, Rengifo, Hermosillo, etc. and expect them to produce out of the gate, and also eliminates the need of signing any sort of very replacement for Marte/Valbuena or Chris Young for the bench. He covers their roles, so you can re-assign those spots on the 25-man to extra pitchers or for when you need a certain kid or skill from the minors.

And I was also getting a little tired of every idea being Harper/Machado or filler.

I live here in North Texas and Id be down for getting Gallo.  With that said it all depends on the prospect cost to acquire him.  Rangers farm isnt that great and I would think they would be inclined to take some lower level prospects (no matter the position) with a high ceiling that would fit their window to compete in 3-4 years.  They will need some players that will be MLB ready though to supplement their MLB team team when they open up the new park.  Gallo fills many needs and as frustrating as it is to watch hitters strikeout its becoming the norm.

12 minutes ago, Cdaniel said:

I live here in North Texas and Id be down for getting Gallo.  With that said it all depends on the prospect cost to acquire him.  Rangers farm isnt that great and I would think they would be inclined to take some lower level prospects (no matter the position) with a high ceiling that would fit their window to compete in 3-4 years.  They will need some players that will be MLB ready though to supplement their MLB team team when they open up the new park.  Gallo fills many needs and as frustrating as it is to watch hitters strikeout its becoming the norm.

Yeah, that's the biggest stumbling block to me...I don't think our farm's strengths/depth (infield, outfield) match up with their needs (pitching)...there would probably be some attention on guys like Soriano and Yan, who I'd be a little leery dealing in-division and without it being a pitcher coming back. 

I absolutely love D'Shawn Knowles and think he's going to turn into a very legit prospect soon, but he is still only 17. The Rangers signed his twin brother D'Vaughn Knowles last offseason, so perhaps there'd be some interest there, with him representing a good chunk of prospect value in the deal.

And for those not wanting to trade any prospects...keep in mind, Joey Gallo is just one month older than Taylor Ward, months older than David Fletcher, one year older than Thaiss, one year older than Ohtani, a couple years younger than Trout. He'd be under control for four more seasons, through 2022. He costs league minimum right now. The difference between he and those names I just listed being prospects really is not that vast. He's the type of guy the Angels could trade two years from now when someone like Thaiss or Adell is truly ready for full-time, above-average MLB production, and they'd still get a good return on him.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Yeah, that's the biggest stumbling block to me...I don't think our farm's strengths/depth (infield, outfield) match up with their needs (pitching)...there would probably be some attention on guys like Soriano and Yan, who I'd be a little leery dealing in-division and without it being a pitcher coming back. 

I absolutely love D'Shawn Knowles and think he's going to turn into a very legit prospect soon, but he is still only 17. The Rangers signed his twin brother D'Vaughn Knowles last offseason, so perhaps there'd be some interest there, with him representing a good chunk of prospect value in the deal.

And for those not wanting to trade any prospects...keep in mind, Joey Gallo is just one month older than Taylor Ward, months older than David Fletcher, one year older than Thaiss, one year older than Ohtani, a couple years younger than Trout. He'd be under control for four more seasons, through 2022. He costs league minimum right now. The difference between he and those names I just listed being prospects really is not that vast. He's the type of guy the Angels could trade two years from now when someone like Thaiss or Adell is truly ready for full-time, above-average MLB production, and they'd still get a good return on him.

I'm not worried about trading away prospects but more so who we trade.  Rangers aren't sold on Profar, they may trade Elvis at some point if he doesn't opt out and they don't know which Odor they will get from year to year.  Willie Calhoun doesnt have a position and it looks like Beltre wont be back.  They arent as deep at infield as some would think.  We could get Gallo for position prospects and the Rangers could flip Mazara & Elvis for Pitching.

6 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Gallo is a perfect fit for the Angels, because he gets on base, hits left handed and could play 1B everyday that Pujols can’t. 

But I don’t believe the Rangers would trade him. 

They're in a weird spot. Reminds me of the Angels a few years back. 
The farm isn't producing enough to help the big league team, either internally or through buying...they don't really have the pieces to sell and guarantee a good enough return to justify doing so...

Arguably every AL West team is ahead of them (though midnight is coming soon for Seattle) so to me, I'd think their best move would be selling off big this offseason. I'm sure the looming new stadium and the 'sort of' success of guys like Mazara, Odor, Calhoun, Kiner-Falefa and youth of DeShields and Gallo will keep them thinking they could turn around quickly,

10 minutes ago, totdprods said:

They're in a weird spot. Reminds me of the Angels a few years back. 
The farm isn't producing enough to help the big league team, either internally or through buying...they don't really have the pieces to sell and guarantee a good enough return to justify doing so...

Arguably every AL West team is ahead of them (though midnight is coming soon for Seattle) so to me, I'd think their best move would be selling off big this offseason. I'm sure the looming new stadium and the 'sort of' success of guys like Mazara, Odor, Calhoun, Kiner-Falefa and youth of DeShields and Gallo will keep them thinking they could turn around quickly,

They still have 4 seasons of control of Gallo. I think they’d trade all the 1- and 2-year guys first. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Gallo is a perfect fit for the Angels, because he gets on base, hits left handed and could play 1B everyday that Pujols can’t. 

But I don’t believe the Rangers would trade him. 

Isn't the challenge you end up with though is you now have 3 guys who would need to rotate through the DH slot to get sufficient ABs. There is already going to be a struggle with Pujols potentially taking ABs away from Ohtani - one of the biggest challenges the new manager is going to face. I would expect them to find another 1b/3b not named Marte (who could possibly play some corner OF) rather than another 1b/DH type.