• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The official (slightly early) off season discussion thread. Let's hear your plan.

Docwaukee

I start by signing Harper at 12/360. Not sure he will get much more given his down seasons every other year. This eats up all of our expected 30 million payroll additions for next year.

We need to show Trout we are serious about contending. Harper is also someone we can build around and market if Trout has to be traded.

Trade Calhoun to clear cap space—eat 3 or 4 mil of the contract to save 8 million. I think there are a few teams that would take Calhoun pretty quick at 8 million for a season. Maybe toss is a lower level prospect if necessary.

Trade Adell/Marsh/Ward for Syndergaard (Degrom is better but to old, I worry about having to resign him in 2 years at age 32.) Syndergaard is young and can be resigned once cozart/pujols comes off the books.

This gives us a solid lineup.

1b—Pujols/JFM

2b—Fletcher

SS—Simmons

3b---Cozart

LF—Upton

CF--- Trout

RF---Harper

DH---Ohtani

C--- Arcia/Briceno

Pitchers-

1.        Syndergaard

2.        Heaney

3.        Skaggs

4.        Barria

5.        Shoemaker

6.        Pena

Bullpen—I am counting on our current pen returning to healthy status.

In 2020 we have reinforcements coming on the pitching side of things—Ohtani will be back along with the possibility of Canning. Ohtani/Syndergaard/Canning/Heaney/Barria (I would consider trading Heaney or Skaggs at this point to clear up salary.

I don’t really see any other way we can get much better than this next year, it is really year 2 where we really have a well built team. Cozart comes off the books after year two and pujols the year after freeing up a ton of money.

Some side things to consider—You can non tender a couple guys and put that money into G Richards on a two year deal---maybe like 10 million over 2 years—first year is recovering 2nd is him coming back and pitching to build his value. He could be a solid 5th in our rotation or do a even split with Ohtani who would also be coming back from TJS.

1 hour ago, bped1981 said:

I start by signing Harper at 12/360. Not sure he will get much more given his down seasons every other year. This eats up all of our expected 30 million payroll additions for next year.

if that's where you start, how would you be able to do anything else within the payroll?

and you might want to check your settings to have a font that's a little bigger and easier to read.

I don't think any of you would like my plan, because it would begin by trading Simmons for a number one caliber starter, like Syndergaard.  I would move Cozart back to SS, leaving Ward at 3B.  I would then pursue one of Harper or Machado.  If I get Machado, he plays SS, and Cozart goes to 2B.  If Harper, he becomes the everyday RF, with Calhoun becoming trade bait or the left side platoon with Albert at 1B.

43 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

I don't think any of you would like my plan, because it would begin by trading Simmons for a number one caliber starter, like Syndergaard.  I would move Cozart back to SS, leaving Ward at 3B.  I would then pursue one of Harper or Machado.  If I get Machado, he plays SS, and Cozart goes to 2B.  If Harper, he becomes the everyday RF, with Calhoun becoming trade bait or the left side platoon with Albert at 1B.

You can’t trade Simmons for an established No 1 pitcher. No team that isn’t competing would want Simmons for 2 years. And no team that is competing would have a No 1 starter to spare. 

If you want to trade Simmons, you’re going to trade him to a team that is right now in its championship window but doesn’t really have a SS (the Brewers? Cubs if they dump Russell and want Baez to stay at 2B?). Then look at the best prospects those teams have. 

You are correct.  It was just a suggestion.  It is, however, one of the few areas on the team where there is sufficient depth to absorb the loss.  Cozart's contract is immovable, and we also have Fletcher and Rengifo who are capable of playing SS, or at least functioning as backups.  

When we dealt for him, we gave up two high quality minor league arms to get him, and in the time that Andrelton Simmons has been here, he's only gotten better, on both sides of the ball.  

Other options would be to trade a couple of our top prospects in a deal, but all 29 of the other GM's will be asking for Adell in return for their starters.  Not sure that Eppler should consider that.

15 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Both Trout and Simba NEED to be re-signed.   Trout, enough said.  Simba is a leader, and is emerging at the plate.   Neither is that old in 2021.  Trout will be 29, and Simba will be 31.

And if that means not signing the one truly desirable FA after 2019, Arenado, so be it.

I’m a big fan of Simmons but I don’t feel any urgency to sign him immediately.  Let’s see how it shakes out.  A lot changes in 2 years.  It’s definitely a different situation with Trout.  Who needs to be signed ASAP. 

Machado.  Harper. Machado. Harper.  Machado. Harper.  

It. Not. Happening.  

It is absolutely insane to think that Arte is going to have three players totaling 90+ mil for the next three years.  

Next year, the Nats are going to pay Scherzer 42.1 mil.  The also lumped a huge chunk of salary allocation for Strasburg to next year as well.  38.3 mil but then it goes back to 25 mil and then down to 15m.  

The red sox will be giving 31m to david price over the next 4 years.  And 23.75 m to JDM over the next two then 19.35 in 2021. 

the yankees 25m to Stanton, 22m to Tanaka, 21.4m to Ellsbury.  

the Dogs 34.5 to Kershaw (if he doesn't opt out), 21.75 to kemp, 19.33 to Jansen.  

not only is it not happening, it can't happen and you don't want it to happen.  If Trout and Simmons sign extensions, do you really think that this would happen in 2021?  

Trout 40m
Simmons 20m
Pujols 30m
Harper/Machado 30m
Upton 23m.  

That's 143m for five players. 

For the love of everything decent and holy let's be reasonable.  Even without the 30m from Machado or Harper, that's still 113m for 4 players.  That's still a shit ton.  

23 minutes ago, 2020worldseries said:

IF Dbacks start selling this offseason...

Trade for Archie Bradley. His projected salary is 2 million and only in his 1st arb year

Since becoming a reliever his FIP is 3.15, 2.6 bb/9 and 9.6 k/9 - fits the mold of Eppler bullpen guys and is also dominant vs lefties. Can go multiple innings and close

You know how much that would cost us in a trade? Eppler would never go for that. He prefers picking guys up off the scrap heap.

Even if the team goes overboard on spending AND Eppler works wonders. It will be hard to get the team into contention for 2019.

I would start by grabbing every youngish  (29-30 y.o.) FA we could get for the rotation, bullpen, C, 1B  (Yes, I think it's time to realize our 1B production is a major problem), 3B and 2B.   Maybe trade Cole if there is a FA that seems likely to be a solid upgrade. 

Maybe Ward and/or Fletcher prove themselves to be solid-or-better everyday players.  Maybe some other youngsters come out of nowhere.   Maybe some of our oft-injured pitching staff will stay healthy and take their games to the next level.   Then it's a process of seeing what we still need next off season.

would anyone trade one of Skaggs or Heaney for a package that includes Nick Senzel?  Senzel is also athletic enough to play 2b/1b/OF in addition to his natural position at 3b. 

the reds are going after pitching this off season and aren't likely to trade Suarez to get it.  They're talking about moving Senzel to the OF because he's blocked.  

that would obviously create a hole in the rotation, but I think you'd have to consider this if it's an option.  

If the Dbacks are going to sell, Zack Godley is an interesting target.  

12 hours ago, Dochalo said:

would anyone trade one of Skaggs or Heaney for a package that includes Nick Senzel?  Senzel is also athletic enough to play 2b/1b/OF in addition to his natural position at 3b. 

the reds are going after pitching this off season and aren't likely to trade Suarez to get it.  They're talking about moving Senzel to the OF because he's blocked.  

that would obviously create a hole in the rotation, but I think you'd have to consider this if it's an option.  

If the Dbacks are going to sell, Zack Godley is an interesting target.  

Robbie Ray would be an interesting target too. 

I have several ideas involving Skaggs trades as well. While obviously he fills a need, I feel that he is in a place now where we were with Kole and Richards a couple odd seasons ago - controllable and cheap enough for a contending team to pay a very good price, but also close enough to FA and getting expensive enough in arbitration that the Angels might be better off selling them a year early and getting some real MLB-ready return that fits their window of contention a little better. Senzel? Segura? Suarez? Camargo? Andujar? Pederson? Franco? More prospects?

In some scenarios you might be able to use Skaggs as a catalyst to move Calhoun and his salary as well, if the Angels see a FA OF they like - Markakis, McCutchen, Pollock, Harper, Jones, Brantley, Chisenhall, etc. - which also frees up money to go after someone like Corbin/Keuchel.