• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Long Beach Airport?

NJHalo

My SIL and fer family are going to Oahu for a week, but stopping on her way from NJ to spend a few days at Disneyland. She can get flights for the same price from both Long Beach and LAX to Oahu. On the map, it looks like Long Beach is a lot closer to DL, but is there any other advantage of choosing one airport over the other? 

11 minutes ago, NJHalo said:

My SIL and fer family are going to Oahu for a week, but stopping on her way from NJ to spend a few days at Disneyland. She can get flights for the same price from both Long Beach and LAX to Oahu. On the map, it looks like Long Beach is a lot closer to DL, but is there any other advantage of choosing one airport over the other? 

LAX is the most awful horrible place in the world.  Long Beach is one of the easiest to get in and out of, never more than 5 minutes through security, and since the renovation is pretty nice inside.  Plus you get to board on the tarmac, has it's charm.

To me it's all about how close.  Long Beach or even John Wayne or Ontario would be better than LAX for a trip to Disneyland.  Just because crossing the city, especially if you have no idea on the traffic conditions are a pain in the ass.  For me, since I'm on the West side, getting to LAX has never been a problem, since I take surface streets and bypass all the freeway traffic that those unfamiliar with the area would have to deal with.  

Oh and Disneyland, go on a Wednesday, get a park hopper, pretty much ride everything, and go somewhere else the other days.  

If you can fly out of Long Beach for the same price...do it. Hell, we'll spend an extra hundred to fly out of LGB if it means not having to go anywhere near LAX (usually make up the difference in parking). Only issue with Long Beach is very limited on where you can fly direct.

27 minutes ago, calscuf said:

The last couple of times I went to LAX all of the pay parking places were full.  I had to drive around like a madman searching for some place I could park the car.  I found one spot in a lot that was so thin I had to climb out the back of the Tahoe.

Yep, we've started making reservations and even then you show up and they try and tell you it's full.

1 hour ago, red321 said:

If you can fly out of Long Beach for the same price...do it. Hell, we'll spend an extra hundred to fly out of LGB if it means not having to go anywhere near LAX (usually make up the difference in parking). Only issue with Long Beach is very limited on where you can fly direct.

Absolutely.  Long Beach is a great airport.  TSA is easy, you'll be through security in about 20 minutes.  My family of 4 (wife and I plus two kids) recently flew direct Long Beach to Honolulu on Hawaiian and it was the most painless process as opposed to when we flew to Maui out of LAX. 

55 minutes ago, katrinab said:

i would think it depends on what airline she is using to fly to Oahu

i know that Hawaiian air has started flying from Long Beach,  but someone told me that the planes are smaller and cramped and it took a little longer to get there

We just flew Hawaiian to Oahu in July.  Planes were Airbus but I don't recall it taking longer.  The one gripe was there are no screens.  You need to download the Hawaiian Airlines entertainment app, and even then, they charge $7/movie.  But you got a free drink of Rum Punch

I absolutely avoid LAX when all possible. I only fly out of there if it’s last minute since they offer straight flights to just about anywhere, but I will always drive up the night before and rent a hotel room close by because traffic is a Facking nightmare. I’d rather pay extra to not fly into here or out of here.

Im partial to John Wayne (even though our last Vegas trip was almost grounded due to the noise ordinance and no flying after 10pm....wheels up at 9:55pm!!!) but LB is also as good as it gets. Quick and easy airport to navigate.

Edited by Brandon

2 hours ago, calscuf said:

I will say this about LAX.  When flying international I actually like to get to the Bradley Terminal early and hang out, have a drink, eat.  It's nice.

And lately I've been flying Norwegian Premium or British Airways Business and you get lounge access.  The lounge is pretty decent with free food and booze.

All about the Amex Centurion Lounge.  I use the one at SFO every single trip. The open bar and food covers the cost of the card in the first few trips alone.

And LAX is finally getting one. https://thepointsguy.com/news/amex-announces-centurion-lax/

1 hour ago, mrwicked said:

All about the Amex Centurion Lounge.  I use the one at SFO every single trip. The open bar and food covers the cost of the card in the first few trips alone.

And LAX is finally getting one. https://thepointsguy.com/news/amex-announces-centurion-lax/

Which card? And you have to book through AMEX? 

10 minutes ago, calscuf said:

The Star Alliance one has all that stuff, too.  What they both will lack is the sit down, high end (free) restaurant.

On a related note, I now try to fly British Airways into London as my “into Europe” flight.  Business class lie flat seats are 60k points + $500 but you get a damn bed and when you arrive in London there is an Arrivals Lounge with showers (for biz and 1st) so you don’t have to wait and hope for an early check-in at your hotel to shower.  With a decent sleep and a fast shower you can hit London running or transit and not feel like a homeless zombie in the process.  On the way home I’ll opt for Norwegian Premium which can be as low as $600 one way or just deal with coach since sleeping isn’t that important on the way back.

Way to make this thread all about you.

Thanks everyone for confirming what I thought. Seems unanimous.

They are taking the Hawaiian Airlines flight to Oahu. My only concern is that there is only one flight per day from Long Beach to Oahu, so if there is a problem, you are out of options.