• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Mike Scioscia Would Like to Continue Managing

ettin

2 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

Puhleeze. I don't participate in game day threads. I don't participate in trade threads. I don't participate in hot stove. Not spring training. I've posted more in the recipe threads than anything Angel related.

But please. When the same old warhorses bring out the claptrap about how managers barely make a difference. And if there was a bad move, it's never Scioscia's fault.. And as @JarsOfClay noted,why are they paying Sosh $50 million of the job is so unimportant.

Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.

Managers matter.  Just not as much as they used to.  And they don't turn 78 win teams into playoff contenders.  I think that's what people are saying.  

Scioscia is the highest paid manager tied with Maddon and Bochy at $6m.  Half of them are making less than 1.5m.  6 of those managers are going to the playoffs.  

Why are we paying Pujols $30 mil per year?  How important is he?  

I can smell bullshit from a mile away but it's hard to detect when you're standing next to me.  

I got phrases too.  

6 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Managers matter.  Just not as much as they used to.  And they don't turn 78 win teams into playoff contenders.  I think that's what people are saying.  

Scioscia is the highest paid manager tied with Maddon and Bochy at $6m.  Half of them are making less than 1.5m.  6 of those managers are going to the playoffs.  

Why are we paying Pujols $30 mil per year?  How important is he?  

I can smell bullshit from a mile away but it's hard to detect when you're standing next to me.  

I got phrases too.  

Face!

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Managers matter.  Just not as much as they used to.   

This. 

Ive mentioned on here before, houstons analytics people call every pitch. I was told that by a houston player.

Im not sure how much the angels do that. But i imagine just about every team is following suit in some way or another. Like shifts.

I think everyone needs to keep in mind that sosh signed that deal in a far different era. Same as pujols. At the time sosh was coming off a pretty amazing run. By far the best in team history. I doubt we ever sign a guy that long term again, much like alberts deal.

Its fair to look back and critique sosh in the old days. But IMO, he gets a pass the last few years. Hes had no pitching, one real bullpen in the last 8 or so years. And an offense the last 4 years thats had trout...an aging pujols. Ohtani for like 3 months (part time), upton for a year, simmons and kole. The rest was flotsam. 

Its not like hes had a ton of hard decisions with lineups. Its like picking between throwing up and diarrhea. 

Just now, yk9001 said:

29 other teams fire their manager.

If they aren't important, why are these teams wasting their time?

Valid point. 

But i think its wise to not eat soshs contract when you know any replacement will still have the broken roster. It would be spending more for about the same result.

Not to mention, like the guy or not, hes going to the hall....in an angels hat. Would be awkward to fire him, especially for little if any improvement.

2 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

29 other teams fire their manager.

If they aren't important, why are these teams wasting their time?

dude.  they matter.  it's not a waste of time.  But they don't matter that much.  Baseball pays $9-10 mil per win for a player.  The avg manager makes about 2mil.  Do the math.  Or don't.  You're an accountant.  maybe you're bored.  

17 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

dude.  they matter.  it's not a waste of time.  But they don't matter that much.  Baseball pays $9-10 mil per win for a player.  The avg manager makes about 2mil.  Do the math.  Or don't.  You're an accountant.  maybe you're bored.  

I’ve yet to see a $100M per season player or maybe I’m misunderstanding 

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

They dont matter that much. Yet for some odd reason the writers think they matter enough to make the HOF.

46 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

They dont matter that much. Yet for some odd reason the writers think they matter enough to make the HOF.

It’s probably more of an evolution of thought type of thing.  My guess is 30 years ago we would have thought a guy like Dee Gordon was a good ball player when he hits .280 and steals 30-50 bases.   Now in a time where we value OBP we see a guy with no power that got on base less than 30% of the time and he has a lot less value.   Well manager opinion has changed as well.  They aren’t unimportant they just aren’t as important as once believed.  I highly doubt there ever was a time when any really smart baseball person thought a manager could win or lose 15-20 games a year.  In a lot of organizations the front office is very involved, the Angels are included in this at some level.  As for why other organizations fire managers, I don’t know other than to save face with the fans, or simply the manager wouldn’t conform to how the front office wanted things done.   Someone mentioned Girardi getting fired, I don’t think that was the case I think they didn’t renew his contract.  So if that’s true I guess we can say Arte fired Mike if he isn’t retained.  Another reason managers get fired is losing the clubhouse.   So to answer your question I have no idea if we will continue to see managers get voted in, hell I don’t even know if it’s sports writers or who it is that votes in managers.  

10 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

My primary gripe with Scioscia has nothing to do with his management of the pitching staff or even game strategy. It is his insistence on repeatedly playing veterans who are not producing offensively, as if one day they will magically find the right formula to make them play ten years less than their age if they are left in the lineup long enough. The list of players is long, but definitely not distinguished. If he could break himself of that one habit, I would be fine with him returning. Just not another ten-year contract, please.

Latest example is trotting out Calhoun night after night in the leadoff spot, when his bat has completely deserted him.

^^^^^ bingo

The game changes. 

Like doc said, stolen bases used to be huge. Not as big of a deal anymore. Bullpens used to be a closer, the rest an afterthought. Not anymore.

Batting average, runs and rbi used to be the measuring stick. Not anymore.

Spring training used to be the time to get back into shape. Not anymore. Etc etc.

6 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

^^^^^ bingo

The game changes. 

Like doc said, stolen bases used to be huge. Not as big of a deal anymore. Bullpens used to be a closer, the rest an afterthought. Not anymore.

Batting average, runs and rbi used to be the measuring stick. Not anymore.

Spring training used to be the time to get back into shape. Not anymore. Etc etc.

When was Spring Training a time for Scioscia to get back in shape?

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

It’s probably more of an evolution of thought type of thing.  My guess is 30 years ago we would have thought a guy like Dee Gordon was a good ball player when he hits .280 and steals 30-50 bases.   Now in a time where we value OBP we see a guy with no power that got on base less than 30% of the time and he has a lot less value.   Well manager opinion has changed as well.  They aren’t unimportant they just aren’t as important as once believed.  I highly doubt there ever was a time when any really smart baseball person thought a manager could win or lose 15-20 games a year.  In a lot of organizations the front office is very involved, the Angels are included in this at some level.  As for why other organizations fire managers, I don’t know other than to save face with the fans, or simply the manager wouldn’t conform to how the front office wanted things done.   Someone mentioned Girardi getting fired, I don’t think that was the case I think they didn’t renew his contract.  So if that’s true I guess we can say Arte fired Mike if he isn’t retained.  Another reason managers get fired is losing the clubhouse.   So to answer your question I have no idea if we will continue to see managers get voted in, hell I don’t even know if it’s sports writers or who it is that votes in managers.  

You said yourself he was getting into the HOF based on his accomplishments, now you're saying he wasn't that important. So which is it?

And it's true the BBWA doesn't vote on managers. The Veterans Committe does which consists of HOF players who have actually played the game and would know if a manager "mattered" or not.

Managers are voted in by guys like Hank Aaron, Al Kaline, Ralph Kiner, Juan Marichal, Brooks Robinson, Rod Carew, Don Sutton, as well as former GM's, Presidents, and Sportswriters.