• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Mike Scioscia Would Like to Continue Managing

ettin

I’ll havd the biggest erection if they sign him to an extension.   The pain it would cause some of the blowhards here would be amazing.   I truly don’t care if he comes back, but for AngelsWin it would be glorious.  You’d think spending as much time on baseball as we do we’d understand how little impact a manager actually has on wins and losses over the course of the year.  

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’ll havd the biggest erection if they sign him to an extension.   The pain it would cause some of the blowhards here would be amazing.   I truly don’t care if he comes back, but for AngelsWin it would be glorious.  You’d think spending as much time on baseball as we do we’d understand how little impact a manager actually has on wins and losses over the course of the year.  

What is going on here? 

I feel like I’ve been banging this drum for years and no one has listened, and suddenly today everyone “gets it”?

Maybe the realization that Scioscia didn’t ruin Kaleb Cowart is what finally pushed people over the line. 

25 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

What is going on here? 

I feel like I’ve been banging this drum for years and no one has listened, and suddenly today everyone “gets it”?

Maybe the realization that Scioscia didn’t ruin Kaleb Cowart is what finally pushed people over the line. 

And ruined Brandon Wood and loved Jeff Mathis for his D. 

16 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

What is going on here? 

Scioscia has been the lightning rod for complaints on this site, Twitter, Facebook, Yahoo Sports, etc because fans can't find anyone else to blame.  Is he perfect?  No, but he seems to keep an emotionally level clubhouse.

I'm fine if he comes back or not but I have a feeling both sides would like to try something different.  Scioscia has been here 19 years and helped redefined what Angels' fans expectations are entering a season.  Prior to 2000, the franchise was mostly known for the team that didn't re-sign Nolan Ryan, losing a 2-0 lead in the '82 playoff, Donnie Moore vs Dave Henderson, and the '95 collapse.  Stoneman and Scioscia worked some magic, had a little luck, and built a team that essentially erased 40 years of misery.  Since 2010, the only teams with any legit shot at contending were 2012 and 2014 and since then the team has withered due to front office neglect and mismanagement which has colored fan's perception of Scioscia as a successful Manager.  I feel we're on the right track now with Eppler but there definitely feels like a momentum towards a parting of ways...nothing lasts forever.

32 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

What is going on here? 

Yes, you've been banging that drum; however, you haven't been alone.  You've been a part of a very small marching band.

41 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

What is going on here? 

I put that drum away years ago because no one would listen to the music.  

26 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

What is going on here? 

"The manager doesn't make that much difference" argument is fine in the correct context.

There is probably no difference one decent manager makes compared to another decent manager.

So now let's define what would make a manager NOT "decent". . .

Either they are so bad at decisions they literally lose games from the dugout. . . (Scioscia isn't this)

Or

They are directly or indirectly responsible for a clubhouse culture that accepts losing or lowers the expectations to accept mediocrity and isn't hungry and elevated emotionally to win.

After all these years, I personally am not convinced Scioscia is not what I just described.

The hard part of the Scioscia analysis is he probably has been a decent manager who has the right clubhouse culture many times, but when do you stop making decisions based on the past if you think his better days are behind him?

I don't love Scioscia nd I don't hate him.

But I am as bored with him as you can get.  I don't think he sucks and I definitely don't think he is special.

I see very, very little risk in moving on in terms of wins and losses.

I see a new manager as potentially a positive in marketing the team.  I don't think you change managers for markering purposes alone, but if you do, fans might find some new optimism.

We have had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch every day for 19 years.  It is fine.  Can't complain other than I am sick of peanut butter and jelly.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

They are directly or indirectly responsible for a clubhouse culture that accepts losing or lowers the expectations to accept mediocrity and isn't hungry and elevated emotionally to win.

After all these years, I personally am not convinced Scioscia is not what I just described

Based on what?

The fact that they didn’t release Albert Pujols to play CJ Cron every day?

1 minute ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Based on what?

The fact that they didn’t release Albert Pujols to play CJ Cron every day?

Jeff I am not going to argue with you about clubhouse culture.  You decide for yourself.

I merely said a manager can absolutely be responsible for a lack of drive and complacency.

Is this a concern with Scioscia?  You decide for yourself Jeff.

My answer is I don"t know.  I suspect it could be and I see little risk changing managers.

15 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

By the way, I don’t believe Scioscia is coming back. To me this sounded like him letting the other 29 teams know he’s not retiring. I never bought the retirement thing. 

If you look at other managers, a change of scenery can be a good thing---Tony LaRussa was fired several times before the Cards....Joe Torre was fired several times before the Yanks...I'm not sure Scioscia leaving will help the Angels...but I do think it could jump start his career....

3 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

"The manager doesn't make that much difference" argument is fine in the correct context.

There is probably no difference one decent manager makes compared to another decent manager.

So now let's define what would make a manager NOT "decent". . .

Either they are so bad at decisions they literally lose games from the dugout. . . (Scioscia isn't this)

Or

After all these years, I personally am not convinced Scioscia is not what I just described.

The hard part of the Scioscia analysis is he probably has been a decent manager who has the right clubhouse culture many times, but when do you stop making decisions based on the past if you think his better days are behind him?

I don't love Scioscia nd I don't hate him.

But I am as bored with him as you can get.  I don't think he sucks and I definitely don't think he is special.

I see very, very little risk in moving on in terms of wins and losses.

I see a new manager as potentially a positive in marketing the team.  I don't think you change managers for markering purposes alone, but if you do, fans might find some new optimism.

We have had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch every day for 19 years.  It is fine.  Can't complain other than I am sick of peanut butter and jelly.

I should have qualified my earlier statement in response to Jeff.  I don't think a manager can have a huge positive impact in the win column.  I think if they make decent decisions and keep a harmonious clubhouse it's worth a couple wins.  But they can have a substantial negative impact.  

so to use your sandwich analogy, yes we've had pb and j 162 days a year for the past 19 years.  In 2014, that pb and j tasted pretty damn good.  maybe we put some lays chips on it.  maybe we toasted it or switched to crunchy for a bit.  But bear in mind we are way more likely to get a peanut butter and sardine sandwich with raisins on it than we are a lobster roll.  In fact, not sure the lobster roll even exists.  What we probably end up with is more pb and j.  I've been married for 16 years and frankly, I still love pb and j.  

If for whatever reason Billy and Co. think that their version of the same sandwich is going to taste better, I'm not going to complain.  But Mike Scioscia is not and has never been the problem with this team the last 9 years.  I could make an argument that he's actually been the glue holding things together and if he goes, I'll likely be more sad than happy.  

For those of you who don't know him personally, I am proud to say that I do.  Not in a bff lol text back and forth sort of way, but I've played golf and broke bread with him on multiple occasions.  I hit a hole in one right in front of him and now every time we see each other he calls me the 'hole in one dr.'  My dad and uncle know him better.  At a recent event Mike got up from his table and made a point to go over and say hello to my dad.  

Every time i've been around him, he commands the entire room.  He's got more charisma is his pinky finger than most could wish for.  He's not arrogant or stand offish and he's funny as hell.  We've seen him be cordial to the media feeding them his standard lines, but behind the scenes I bet he's more like the guy I know and less like the guy everyone thinks he is.  

As an example, I was playing in his charity golf tournament (to support amateur baseball)  several years ago.  Mike gave an opening speech to the golfers.  Weaver was there and it was still fairly early in his career where he was still ramping up.  After wishing the golfers well and saying some nice things, Mike threw some shade at Jered saying that if his golfing was anything like his pitching he'd probably quit after 14 holes.  Everyone cracked up and I am sure you can all picture the look Jered had on his face.  

So let me just say this.  If people thing that the next manager is somehow going to provide a greater level of accountability, collegiality and leadership then we're all going to be very disappointed.  Maybe it's time to make a change.  But If he returned, I would be totally happy and know that the team would be no worse for wear.