• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Mike Scioscia Would Like to Continue Managing

ettin

41 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I highly doubt the Hamilton playing in the playoffs was a manger decision, it was more of a decision centered around $25 million a season.  

Nutswingers continue their perfect record here.  Nothing has been the manager's fault since 2001.  It's extraordinary.  Puts DiMaggio's hit record to shame.  Edwin Moses' 107 consecutive finals wins in the 400 meters hurdle record was nothing compared to this.  Ripken's Ironman streak?  Nuthin.

The thing i like about when Sosh was hired was that he and Stoneman implemented a system that they wanted the org to implement top to bottom in player development.Before that, it seemed player development was whatever the manager at any level deemed appropriate. No continuity. We saw the farm improve to become respected for the first time. This lasted until Reagins became GM, as he liked to make trades, unlike Stoneman. It really fell apart when Dipshit became GM. With Eppler, it is starting to rebound quickly. I am not really into the new type of statistics centered managers. Stats are great to a point, but being able to see player abilities with the naked eye is hard to beat. These days teams that are capable to use both seem to be the successful teams. Stat centered teams will see inconsistent results. If Sosh does leave, i hope we get someone for the long term that understands specific stats and the eye test.

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

So Arte forced Dipoto to sign Albert and Hamilton but didn’t force Scioscia to play him?  Seems illogical.   

Without looking it up what spot in the lineup did Hamilton bat in?  

Arte didn’t force anyone to do anything. He probably meddled in the decisions and he deserves blame for that, but at the end of the day, Dipoto and Scioscia made the decisions they made

so owners and GM's put players on a roster, but it's the manager who's supposed to dig in and not play them?  

These guys work together.  It's not a sitcom or netflix original.  It doesn't star Brad Pitt or Philip Seymour Hoffman (for other obvious reasons).  

YK - you crack me up.  Always cashin' checks and breakin' necks.  Rollin' in with your big swingin' junk and laying down the law.  I'm sure you bring the pain like that in real life like Al Pacino taking flame throwers to this place.  You're an AW superhero.  Captain Amber Alert!!!!  

12 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

What is going on here? 

I feel like I’ve been banging this drum for years and no one has listened, and suddenly today everyone “gets it”?

Maybe the realization that Scioscia didn’t ruin Kaleb Cowart is what finally pushed people over the line. 

Stradling is everyone? 

And why are the angels paying Scioscia 5 million a year if the manager doesn't make a difference? Would it not be smarter to hire a guy for league minimum?

10 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

Stradling is everyone? 

And why are the angels paying Scioscia 5 million a year if the manager doesn't make a difference? Would it not be smarter to hire a guy for league minimum?

I have no problem with them switching out the manager.  My point is all this blame dudes like you place on the manager is just stupid.  So much so that I hope he gets an extension because of the affect it has on guys like you.  

2 hours ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

The only way I'd be able to tolerate Sosh coming back is if Pujols is no longer on the roster. 

My primary gripe with Scioscia has nothing to do with his management of the pitching staff or even game strategy. It is his insistence on repeatedly playing veterans who are not producing offensively, as if one day they will magically find the right formula to make them play ten years less than their age if they are left in the lineup long enough. The list of players is long, but definitely not distinguished. If he could break himself of that one habit, I would be fine with him returning. Just not another ten-year contract, please.

Why was Joe Girardi fired if the manager doesn't matter? What about John Farrel? Bruce Bochy? 

Why are the Cubs wasting 5 million on Joe Maddon if the manager doesn't matter? 

These are all winning organizations that have won a world series recently and some multiple times, but I guess these teams are all doing it wrong and Fletcher and Stradling know more than any of them.

This is beyond ridiculous.

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

so owners and GM's put players on a roster, but it's the manager who's supposed to dig in and not play them?  

These guys work together.  It's not a sitcom or netflix original.  It doesn't star Brad Pitt or Philip Seymour Hoffman (for other obvious reasons).  

YK - you crack me up.  Always cashin' checks and breakin' necks.  Rollin' in with your big swingin' junk and laying down the law.  I'm sure you bring the pain like that in real life like Al Pacino taking flame throwers to this place.  You're an AW superhero.  Captain Amber Alert!!!!  

Puhleeze. I don't participate in game day threads. I don't participate in trade threads. I don't participate in hot stove. Not spring training. I've posted more in the recipe threads than anything Angel related.

But please. When the same old warhorses bring out the claptrap about how managers barely make a difference. And if there was a bad move, it's never Scioscia's fault.. And as @JarsOfClay noted,why are they paying Sosh $50 million of the job is so unimportant.

Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.

11 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

Why was Joe Girardi fired if the manager doesn't matter? What about John Farrel? Bruce Bochy? 

Why are the Cubs wasting 5 million on Joe Maddon if the manager doesn't matter? 

These are all winning organizations that have won a world series recently and some multiple times, but I guess these teams are all doing it wrong and Fletcher and Stradling know more than any of them.

This is beyond ridiculous.

Don’t believe me read a book.   Pick an author that writes about this stuff that you respect.  Someone who writes about analytics, and see what they say about a baseball manager.  

13 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

Puhleeze. I don't participate in game day threads. I don't participate in trade threads. I don't participate in hot stove. Not spring training. I've posted more in the recipe threads than anything Angel related.

But please. When the same old warhorses bring out the claptrap about how managers barely make a difference. And if there was a bad move, it's never Scioscia's fault.. And as @JarsOfClay noted,why are they paying Sosh $50 million of the job is so unimportant.

Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.

Forget about me because we don’t really see eye to eye on things.  So you can side with Jeff Fletcher/Doc or Jars in a baseball opinion and you choose Jars.  Ok, have fun with that.