• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

ESPN: How the Angels can convince Mike Trout to stay

floplag

1 hour ago, arch stanton said:

So someone made a poor choice of words saying Weaver took a pay cut. Lou chose to ride the righteousness of semantics and you’re going to argue this for how many more pages?

it's nota poor word choice when you defend it as being correct when it isn't. it's being wrong.

there's a difference. 

9 hours ago, arch stanton said:

So someone made a poor choice of words saying Weaver took a pay cut. Lou chose to ride the righteousness of semantics and you’re going to argue this for how many more pages?

Hi, we'd like to welcome you, new member, to Angelswin the home of pointless arguments. 

Angelswin thinks the Angels are that insecure boyfriend dating a girl out of their league.   Worried that if we pop the question, we'll get laughed out of the room.  But what they don't realize is that the Angels just nailed the hottest Asian ever and that they also landed the hottest latino in baseball history several years ago even though since then she's gained 40 lbs.  

The point is, stop acting like Mike is looking to get out of his situation with the Angles.  My guess is that he'll be looking for reasons to stay, and there are plenty.  

On 9/14/2018 at 8:47 AM, Dtwncbad said:

The Angels could extend Trout, sign Machado, and sign Corbin all this offseason.

They would be under the luxury tax and a much better baseball team.

Adell is two years away and he is a freaking stud.

Ohtani is young and Simmons is a beast.

Keep drafting well and developing players.

Have the courage to be a great team.

This is the part where I remind you to look at the actual payroll and not the luxury tax figure. The gap is about $17 million now. 

Could be one incentive to sign Trout to an extension. If he lowers his salary in 2019 in exchange for all the future money (as Upton did) it could help them in the short term. 

4 hours ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

I'M GENUINELY INTERESTED TO HEAR THE PLENTY OF REASONS HE WOULD HAVE TO STAY. LOSING TEAM AS FAR AWAY FROM HIS HOME AS POSSIBLE. MONEY WILL BE AT LEAST EQUAL NO MATTER WHERE HE GOES. SO WHAT ARE THE REASONS HE HAS SINCE MONEY ISN'T AN ISSUE?

For the 1000th time...and i get that this may be pig latin to you...but hes spent his entire ADULT life out here. Hes built relationships with the org. His family that stays with him out here has built relationships.

You guys always point out hes a small town, family guy. The angels org has been his extended family for the last decade. 

The ONLY argument is does he think the team will compete going forward. Going east, its only the sox and yankees that have that going for them. (Philly is in the same boat we are).

Quit thinking he, or any of these guys are robots. Money talks. But that wont be the issue. The personal preferences come into play, and again, HES HAPPY HERE.

Does that mean hes staying? Of course not. Does all the negatives mean hes leaving? Of course not.

His situation isnt any different than stanton was in....playing as far away from home as possible, on a bad team. No way he would have stayed a marlin, right?

5 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

This is the part where I remind you to look at the actual payroll and not the luxury tax figure. The gap is about $17 million now. 

Could be one incentive to sign Trout to an extension. If he lowers his salary in 2019 in exchange for all the future money (as Upton did) it could help them in the short term. 

Why?  Hasn't it been fairly well established that Arte views the luxury tax theshhold as the primary gage for how much money is "available" to spend on players?

22 hours ago, Jay said:

Does it really matter if Trout stays or not?

Other than the prestige of having him on the team, what difference does it make?

We have him now and we stink.

21 hours ago, Lou said:

yes, it matters.

a lot. 

2i1wsl.jpg

On 9/12/2018 at 3:21 PM, WeatherWonk said:

Yet Mike bought a 300 acre ranch "......just minutes from his parent's property" in 2016. Not in SoCal, though he could have easily afforded it, after the arb buy-out.

There are many cases where your hometown team just can't afford you. I dont think that's the case, here. With Trout, he has FIVE teams within 2-3 hours of his hometown. Mets, Yankees, Phils, Orioles and Nats. Outside of the Mets, those are pretty rich owners.

Where does Trout live, when he's in SoCal? Does he have a place in Newport Coast? 

Only two more years of listening to this on a weekly basis . . .

16 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Why?  Hasn't it been fairly well established that Arte views the luxury tax theshhold as the primary gage for how much money is "available" to spend on players?

It’s been established by Angelswin. Arte has never said that. I was told by someone directly involved in the process that the budget they use is the actual payroll. 

For most of the time, the luxury tax payroll has been higher than the actual payroll, so it wasn’t relevant to draw a distinction. 

Starting this season, it flipped. 

11 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

It’s been established by Angelswin. Arte has never said that. I was told by someone directly involved in the process that the budget they use is the actual payroll. 

For most of the time, the luxury tax payroll has been higher than the actual payroll, so it wasn’t relevant to draw a distinction. 

Starting this season, it flipped. 

I am going to pick a little.  Every team has a hard eye on the actual payroll since it is real money.

I don't see how this necessarily would prevent the Angels from using additional money under the luxury tax to improve the team, UNLESS there were cash flow problems or issues on the balance sheet.

The Angels are very financially healthy so I would doubt either of those two things are problems.

Let me ask you this just to make a point.

How many teams in baseball consider real payroll when making decisions on their budget for salaries?

I think the answer is all of them.

I would still guess that space under the luxury tax is at least as significant for the Angels.