• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Tigers play by play broadcaster Mario Impemba and Rod Allen get into it

Chuck

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Is this Rod Allen known for being a loose cannon?

There's a clip of him on youtube chasing a Japanese pitcher out into center field.  So you've got a pitcher who is scared to death with Allen in hot pursuit and a bunch of players running behind them.  It was a crazy scene...he was clearly out of his mind.  Who knows what he would have done if he had caught him.

I like Allen and Impemba...they're probably a top 5 duo for me.  They've been together for quite awhile.  

When Impemba first came to the Angels he was paired with Bob Starr..........those two got along well -  unfortunately - it was for too short of a time.

After Starr passed away, Impemba became the pbp guy. He did well -- with Daron Sutton.

Both left for other opportunities at the same time and the Angels went on to win it all in 2002.

Impemba is from Michigan and during his early broadcasting career did pbp for college sports in Michigan - so when the Tigers job opened up - it allowed him to return home and to probably also return to broadcasting college sports during the baseball off-season. An added bonus was that during his first few years with the Tigers, legendary Detroit Tigers' longtime broadcaster Ernie Harwell shared the booth for selected home games...........that was a great thing for Impemba who grew up listening to Harwell.

For Tigers' fans sake and the TV/ radio listeners there -- I hope Impemba survives this incident and stays on there in Detroit.

1 minute ago, fan_since79 said:

Kirk Gibson is now the second team broadcaster for the woeful Tigers?!

He needs a better job than that. I wonder if he'd like to manage again. He should be invited to interview with us.

Gibson has been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease,so his health probably wouldn't allow it.He also is a ex Dodger so f*ck that.