• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

If you want Ohtani to give up on pitching

tdawg87

I don’t even understand how this is a thing. 

Why would anyone, on this board or outside of this board, think he should give up pitching? He’s like 23, he’s having a fairly common procedure, and he’s proven he can pitch. And hit. And do both at the same time.

I can’t even fathom how this is a discussion.

I agree that you don't walk away from a pitcher that can throw 100 and has filthy stuff.

I am definitely open to the idea of him becoming a closer though, assuming all the logistics of warm-up timing can be worked out.  The 6 man rotation and him having to take the game before and after off seems like a lot to have to deal with, especially when you consider how much trouble the Angels have had finding competent starters.

3 hours ago, yk9001 said:

Read the quotes from Eppler.  The Angels made a promise to Ohtani that he could do both.  Its a big reason he signed here.

I think the Angels should honor that promise, but both Ohtani and the organization should recognize when they've come against a wall. I'm all for the TJ, but if he needs another one in a year or so afterward, I think they should give it up. If he wants another challenge, he can try to switch-hit.

11 hours ago, nate said:

I agree that you don't walk away from a pitcher that can throw 100 and has filthy stuff.

I am definitely open to the idea of him becoming a closer though, assuming all the logistics of warm-up timing can be worked out.  The 6 man rotation and him having to take the game before and after off seems like a lot to have to deal with, especially when you consider how much trouble the Angels have had finding competent starters.

Nate, if you think his current plan of taking the day before and the day off is complicated, imagine trying to figure out how he warms up when he could be hitting the inning he is supposed to pitch.  

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Nate, if you think his current plan of taking the day before and the day off is complicated, imagine trying to figure out how he warms up when he could be hitting the inning he is supposed to pitch.  

That is why I said the logistics of warm-up timing need to be worked out.  If they can't then obviously it doesn't work.

It is uncharted territory so obviously there is no precedent

On 9/6/2018 at 9:13 PM, Stradling said:

On 9/6/2018 at 9:16 PM, nate said:

That is why I said the logistics of warm-up timing need to be worked out.  If they can't then obviously it doesn't work.

It is uncharted territory so obviously there is no precedent

in another thread someone else suggested ohtani be a two inning reliever in the 6th and 7th. i don't like that idea because once he's removed from the mound, wouldn't he also are removed as DH?

none of these are perfect scenarios and each will have it's complications to work through, so it just may be best that he continues to be a starting pitcher if that's what he chooses to do.