• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Pujols Out For Season with Knee Surgery

totdprods

9 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

10 years? I remember I wanted him but not for 10 years.

On November 13, 2015 at 10:32 PM, beatlesrule said:

What's with the draft pick hang-up?  Heyward is worth it.  Also, where are reports that he wants a 10 year deal? Even if he does, he would only be 36 at the end of the contract.  Dude is 6'5, 26 and left-handed.  He plays GG defense, good arm, has speed and his pop should increase as he is entering his prime.  Do I have to go over more of his stats? Our OF would be set for a long time.

15 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

We'll just be treated to the usual "best shape of his life," "pain-free for the first time in years," etc shit that they trot out every spring.

And the myopic AW goofballs will type "not concerned at all" when the Angels stink in ST. Just like every spring.

Everyone on this board completely understands the lunacy of “Best Shape of his Life” quotes in spring training.  Everyone on this board understands there will be stories about how he or other players weren’t able to perform the previous year because of an injury.  So my question is why do we post about it like it means anything at all?  Does posting about it make it less stupid?  It isn’t like you are being wronged by the organization or the player for saying these things.  

46 minutes ago, Lou said:

He didn't sign for 10 years though. Also, I never stated I wanted him for 10 but simply that he would be 36 at the end of it. Plus, Yelich is under contract for another 4 years for pretty cheap. It's just more proof that Arte is content on wasting away the best player in baseball.

35 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Everyone on this board completely understands the lunacy of “Best Shape of his Life” quotes in spring training.  Everyone on this board understands there will be stories about how he or other players weren’t able to perform the previous year because of an injury.  So my question is why do we post about it like it means anything at all?  Does posting about it make it less stupid?  It isn’t like you are being wronged by the organization or the player for saying these things.  

It’s just annoying man and it is a Pujols thread. 

Anyway, I agree.  We should be talking about why the organization allows a player to play at supposedly 30% knee health.  Also, why is any player allowed to decide to that.  Like I said. That Mets level retarded shit. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 hour ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I hear you, but the easy way out is appealing because it frees up a roster spot. We will basically be playing with a 24 man roster if Pujols is allowed to sit around and twiddle his thumbs on the bench all year. That’s not the end of the world but it would be nice to have a more athletic, versatile bench player that can pinch run and play multiple positions instead of Pujols

Had mentioned that earlier in this thread. He clogs a roster spot on the bench (cant run, dont need a defensive replacement at 1B, etc). 

That said, if we replaced him with someone better....better player and bench pujols is likely leaps better than 1B pujols and valbuena/marte....

10 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

It’s just annoying man and it is a Pujols thread. 

Anyway, I agree.  We should be talking about why the organization allows a player to play at supposedly 30% knee health. 

It is annoying if you give it any credence at all.  If you don’t then it really isn’t a big deal.  I personally don’t like coined phrases so guess what I don’t do, that’s right I don’t watch Scioscia post game interviews.  

16 hours ago, Section517 said:

Big Mike Napoli had a better OPS than Pujols from 2012-2016. 

Imagine what hat could have been if Sosh did not trade Napoli and Frosty Tips Rivera for Too Blessed to Be Stressed. Napoli could have the everyday 1B. No need to sign Pujols. No assuming $105 million bad contract of Vernon’s. And a boat load of cash to spend or squander on other free agents at the time. 

Ok, I imagined it, we are in exactly the same place but Arte has more money in his pockets.  

41 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

Pujols is not a good player.  It is what it is.  Blame Eppler and Arte if you want, but anyone who says they would turn away from 90 million is either lying or stupid.

I agree that Pujols isn't giving up that money.  That is a ton of money to take care of his family for generations and for him to use for charity.  That said, we have to hope the next manager is willing to do what is needed with Pujols at this time in his career:  Play him only a few games (as a DH when Ohtani isn't) a week and when he does play, bat him further down the line-up.

Just now, VariousCrap said:

I agree that Pujols isn't giving up that money.  That is a ton of money to take care of his family for generations and for him to use for charity.  That said, we have to hope the next manager is willing to do what is needed with Pujols at this time in his career:  Play him only a few games a week and when he does play, bat him further down the line-up.

Agreed but are we sure it is the manager and not the owner?

I never believed, and I dont think the Angels ever believed, that Pujols was going to be a productive player for 10 years.

I always believed the 10 year term was basically financing to capture like 6 years of production.

I expected 4 very good years and 2 decent years, and that's it.

The Angels ended up with a handful of passable years, but never worth the money.  But it's over.

The past is behind us.  What is important is what happens now.

If I am correct that the Angels never expected Pujols to produce for 10 years, then this would be the time to orchestrate the exit.

I sure hope my original assessment that they never actually expected 10 years is correct.  It would mean they are not as dumb as the 10 year term might suggest and it would mean an exit now  (or very soon) is more possible.

May I still hold on to this narrow, optimistic hope?

1 hour ago, beatlesrule said:

He didn't sign for 10 years though. Also, I never stated I wanted him for 10 but simply that he would be 36 at the end of it. Plus, Yelich is under contract for another 4 years for pretty cheap. It's just more proof that Arte is content on wasting away the best player in baseball.

Have you looked at Jason Heyward's numbers? Vernon Wells-esque.

14 minutes ago, Stradling said:

No we aren’t sure, and saying this ignores the fact that he was still better than the guys that would replace him in the line up this year, which are Marte and Valbuena.

Yea...maybe sometime in the next three years the organization will actually try to upgrade the position. Instead of putting a guy in there that is slow and has put up a scrub fWAR of under 1 for the past 3 years and negative WAR in 2 of those years. 

Or maybe next year is the year he turns it around. 4th times a charm.

Either way, it's flat out incompetence from the organization, regardless of who is to blame.