• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Pujols Out For Season with Knee Surgery

totdprods

On 8/30/2018 at 6:22 AM, Angel Oracle said:

Exhibit A on why teams don’t give out really long contracts to ANY 32 year-olds any more, no matter how good they have been.

I never understood the length of the contract, given his age. What made even less sense to me is that it paid him more as he got older. Very obvious that more emotion than thought went into the contract.

1 hour ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

I never understood the length of the contract, given his age. What made even less sense to me is that it paid him more as he got older. Very obvious that more emotion than thought went into the contract.

I think you have to keep in mind the era. At the time, we werent too far removed from the steroid years...with guys still playing into their late 30s.

Pujols was a beast his whole career...as sure a bet as any to be like the other legends. The idea was probably he could DH late in his career, like ortiz.

For example, you look at MCab, and how detroit still fell for it, a few years after we signed pujols.

Pujols is likely one of the biggest reasons guys his age wont get big contracts anymore....we were trend setters. Wasted moneyball, pretty much.

2 hours ago, tomsred said:

I have a friend, who knows someone whose uncle is a dentist.  He says that Pujols is really 36, he can tell this by looking at his teeth.

When he first signed, a buddy of mine knew the doc he had something to do with pujols' physical. That first year, my buddy was telling me the doc said he was older than he was saying, which i blew off, and told my friend he was an idiot.

Now im not so sure.

39 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I think you have to keep in mind the era. At the time, we werent too far removed from the steroid years...with guys still playing into their late 30s.

Pujols was a beast his whole career...as sure a bet as any to be like the other legends. The idea was probably he could DH late in his career, like ortiz.

For example, you look at MCab, and how detroit still fell for it, a few years after we signed pujols.

Pujols is likely one of the biggest reasons guys his age wont get big contracts anymore....we were trend setters. Wasted moneyball, pretty much.

The A-Roid contract is another prime example. Texas overpaid to get him, then the Yankees doubled down by extending him and giving him a raise.

It seems odd that other teams seem to be able to dump their bad contracts (see Boston), but we always wind up eating ours.

3 hours ago, Tank said:

we can use it for comparison when someone starts a completely new thread about this same topic next tuesday.

Oh, we got three more years of this crap, I holding out my best information for future years.  By the time we get to 2021 we will have enough information to write a lengthy book about this subject.