• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

OC Register: Left out again: Shohei Ohtani still not in Angels lineup against lefties

ANAHEIM — A night after he had a double and a homer against Justin Verlander, Shohei Ohtani was not in the Angels lineup on Sunday.

They were facing a lefty, Houston Astros rookie Framber Valdez.

Since Ohtani returned in July as a hitter, the Angels have almost exclusively started him against right-handed pitchers. Ohtani was hitting .313 with a 1.038 OPS against righties, compared with .167 and .498 vs. lefties. Only 68 of his 255 plate appearances have been against lefties.

Sign up for Home Turf and get exclusive stories every SoCal sports fan must read, sent daily. Subscribe here.

Although Ohtani’s numbers in Japan were roughly equal against righties and lefties, Manager Mike Scioscia said that doesn’t necessarily translate to the majors.

“You can hit lefties well in Triple-A or in other leagues, but major league left handed pitching is just different,” Scioscia said Sunday. “I think that as Shohei starts to get more at-bats against left-handed pitching you’ll be able to evaluate him more. Compared to the way he’s hitting right-handers, it’s like night and day. I think he’s going to be a very balanced hitter as he moves forward in his career. Right now getting acclimated to lefties is one thing he’s working very hard to do.”

Another factor is that Albert Pujols has to play first base whenever Ohtani is in the lineup as the DH. Pujols, who is 38 and with a recent history of lower-body ailments, probably can’t play first every day. The natural days to allow him get a turn at DH are against left-handed pitchers.

When Ohtani can pitch again, the problem will partially resolve itself. Ohtani wasn’t hitting when he pitched, or the days before or after, so those were built-in days for Pujols to DH.

Ohtani, who is rehabbing a damaged ulnar collateral ligament, is scheduled for a simulated game of 45 to 50 pitches on Monday. After that, he could make his next outing in the majors.

INJURED PROSPECT

Angels first-round pick Jordyn Adams was at Angel Stadium for a workout on Sunday morning, but he didn’t have much to say about it.

One of the Angels top prospects, Adams had his jaw wired shut after he broke it in an outfield collision on Aug. 14. He has an appointment on Friday when he is expected to get the wires out.

Adams will then learn how quickly he can return to the field. Although the season at rookie-level Orem is ending on Sept. 6, a top prospect in his first pro season would typically participate in the instructional league, which runs through mid October.

Adams, the 17th overall pick in the draft out of a North Carolina high school, hit a combined .267 with a .742 OPS in two stops in his first pro seasons. He started in the Arizona Summer League, which is mostly high school players, and then he moved up to Orem, which includes more college players and second-year pros.

ALSO

Hansel Robles (shoulder) was activated from the disabled list on Sunday. Deck McGuire was optioned to make room.

Tyler Skaggs (groin) and Nick Tropeano (shoulder) played long toss for the third day since both have been on the disabled list on Sunday. Tropeano said they’ve gotten out to 110 feet, which is a distance that suggests either could be ready to throw a bullpen session in the next few days. Both said they felt good after Sunday’s session.

The Angels still have not settled on a next step for Matt Shoemaker (forearm sugery), who is expecting to get up to about 60 to 70 pitches in his next outing. That is likely to be a minor league rehab game, either Wednesday or Thursday, but it’s possible he could pitch a third simulated game.

UP NEXT

Angels (RHP Odrisamer Despaigne, 2-2, 6.35) vs. Rockies (RHP Jon Gray, 10-7, 4.67), 7 p.m., Monday, Fox Sports West, KLAA (830 AM).

View the full article

Once again,  ridiculous that Ohtani is giving up at bats to Pujols.  The season is over, the games mean very little except for draft status.  I don't care if Pujols has to sit and Marte plays.  They need to get Ohtani in there versus lefties.  How is he supposed to work on it if they never play him against lefties?

4 hours ago, thebloob said:

Once again,  ridiculous that Ohtani is giving up at bats to Pujols.  The season is over, the games mean very little except for draft status.  I don't care if Pujols has to sit and Marte plays.  They need to get Ohtani in there versus lefties.  How is he supposed to work on it if they never play him against lefties?

Yeah I read that quote and was left scratching my head. How exactly does he get the experience if they don't let him get the experience? It's mind boggling. I was at the game Friday night and saw multiple people flash their Japanese passport. Clearly there for Ohtani, but of course he was sitting.  They have an opportunity to give Ohtani experience while also pleasing a sector of fans previously uninterested in the Angels and they are blowing it.

Edit: meant to include "to buy a beer" when saying I saw some individuals flash their passport. 

Edited by AngelsFanSince86

5 hours ago, thebloob said:

I very much agree. I can't help but wonder if Scioscia--knowing he's out after this year--is just focusing on winning games now (or trying to win them), and doesn't care about the future. It will be interesting to see how much he plays young players once rosters expand. For instance, I'd like to see Rengifo get some at bats and I could see him languishing on the bench.

Scioscia: If you can start hitting lefties & i'll put you in against lefties.

Ohtani: How can i hit them if i don't get the chance to play against lefties ?

Scioscia: Did you hit any lefties in ur dreams ?

Ohtani: No.

Scioscia: Wrong answer, ur not playing today. Probably going to be a year before ur next AB vs Left handed pitching.

Ohtani: $!*%@#%#*#@^ $^@^  $^&@#^@ (Tons of curse words in japanese)

Scioscia: What did you say ?

Ohtani's Translator: He says he appreciates the job ur doing as manager & he'll try to hit lefties in his dreams.

16 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

GA's career splits against southpaws were better than most lefthanded hitters - .289 .309 .745 OPS 

I would take something close to that slash line from Ohtani. 

I think he just needs more at bats against southpaws and some training this offseason from our coaching staff. 

Marte is slashing .213/.245/.628 (94 Ab's) and AP is slashing .204/.273/.680 (108 ABs) vs. lefties....

Ohtani is 70 ab's .167/.265/.498

Everyone outside of Trout and Simba are not stellar against lefties.  If Ohtani is a part of the future, he needs to take some hacks.  

This is the one thing that has always driven me crazy about MS...the friggen match ups....they are not really working.