• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The next big Sensation....

I think it's a great idea to try and bring him in. By the looks of it, he will demand a similar contract to Corbin. The Angels need another SP and Kikuchi is the youngest one on the market and has the best upside. If Ohtani can reach out to Kikuchi much like Trout reached out to Ohtani, even better. 

speaking of the next big sensation for the Halos...........one guy who once was in that category..............

was looking at some minor league team sites -- the short season Single- A Northwest League started up in June after the draft ---

The manager of the Vancouver Canadiens -- a Toronto affiliate is DALLAS McPHERSON.

19 hours ago, disarcina said:

speaking of the next big sensation for the Halos...........one guy who once was in that category..............

was looking at some minor league team sites -- the short season Single- A Northwest League started up in June after the draft ---

The manager of the Vancouver Canadiens -- a Toronto affiliate is DALLAS McPHERSON.

Good for him!

You'll feel me coming
A new vibration
From afar you'll see me
I'm a sensation
I'm a sensation

They worship me and all I touch
Hazy eyed they catch my glance,
Pleasant shudders shake their senses
My warm momentum throws their stance

You'll feel me coming
A new vibration
From afar you'll see me
I'm a sensation
I'm a sensation

Soon you'll see me can't you feel me
I'm coming
Send your troubles dancing I know the answer
I'm coming
I'm coming
I'm a sensation

I leave a trail of rooted people
Mesmerized by just the sight
The few I touched now are disciples
Love as one I am the light

You'll feel me coming
A new vibration
From afar you'll see me
I'm a sensation
I'm a sensation

On 8/17/2018 at 1:09 PM, Angelsjunky said:

The biggest hole in this organization is premier starting pitching talent. They have one guy in the entire organization with true ace talent, and he might need TJS. There are a couple #2 talents and a bunch of #3-4 types, but only the one ace. So yeah, if this guy has #1-2 potential, Eppler should seriously look into it. But I'm not sure he's that talented, and like Blarg I'm concerned with potential arm issues.

How many teams have more than one ace?

4 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

How many teams have more than one ace?

I have to re-orient myself to my thinking of a few days ago when I wrote that, but I think the key is in my phrase "ace potential." Not necessarily a major league #1 starter, but someone with very high level stuff - at least the potential to be a #1-2.

Right now the Angels only have one guy in the entire organization that has that kind of stuff: Mr. Ohtani, unless we count Garret Richards. There are a few guys in the minors who have really good stuff, but they top out in the #2-3 range: Canning, Suarez, maybe Soriano and C Rodriguez (again, I'm talking potential here).

But regardless, my basic point remains: The Angels have a lot of talent, especially in the minors, but are weaker in terms of high-end pitching talent than, say, the outfield and infield. Catcher and first base area also quite weak but can be compensated in other ways.

35 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I have to re-orient myself to my thinking of a few days ago when I wrote that, but I think the key is in my phrase "ace potential." Not necessarily a major league #1 starter, but someone with very high level stuff - at least the potential to be a #1-2.

Right now the Angels only have one guy in the entire organization that has that kind of stuff: Mr. Ohtani, unless we count Garret Richards. There are a few guys in the minors who have really good stuff, but they top out in the #2-3 range: Canning, Suarez, maybe Soriano and C Rodriguez (again, I'm talking potential here).

But regardless, my basic point remains: The Angels have a lot of talent, especially in the minors, but are weaker in terms of high-end pitching talent than, say, the outfield and infield. Catcher and first base area also quite weak but can be compensated in other ways.

I would suggest that most teams don’t even have many guys with that kind of potential if that’s your standard. 

Youre better off with 5 No 2s than 1 ace and 4 No 5s. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I would suggest that most teams don’t even have many guys with that kind of potential if that’s your standard. 

Youre better off with 5 No 2s than 1 ace and 4 No 5s. 

Well I agree with that. I think my view derived from what seems like a largish number of mid-rotation pitchability type prospects over the years, with very few "blazing stuff" type pitchers with the full package to be a true ace. Before Shohei there was Garrett Richards; before him...can't remember. And of course Garrett never really got there.

I admit that this is likely a variation on the common misperception fans have, sort of like when fans of other orgs complain about not having any "Trout-esque prospects." There aren't any, or very very few. My version is wondering why the Angels never seem to develop a Julio Urias type of pitching phenom - the type of pitcher who could be a true ace, even if he doesn't turn into one (and the jury is still out on Urias).

Actually, now that I think about it, the Angels haven't really had many truly great starting pitchers. I realize that historically speaking it has been an organization light on top tier talent, but all of their best pitchers were either #2 types with one or two #1 seasons (e.g. Weaver, Lackey) or solid #2-3 types with longevity (Finley, Witt, Tanana). There are no Scherzers or Verlanders or Kershaws. I know these guys don't grow on trees, but it is a notable gap in the historical resume. The closest thing was Nolan Ryan, and he was always a "flawed ace" due to his high walk count. Or you have to go back to Dean Chance.

33 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Well I agree with that. I think my view derived from what seems like a largish number of mid-rotation pitchability type prospects over the years, with very few "blazing stuff" type pitchers with the full package to be a true ace. Before Shohei there was Garrett Richards; before him...can't remember. And of course Garrett never really got there.

I admit that this is likely a variation on the common misperception fans have, sort of like when fans of other orgs complain about not having any "Trout-esque prospects." There aren't any, or very very few. My version is wondering why the Angels never seem to develop a Julio Urias type of pitching phenom - the type of pitcher who could be a true ace, even if he doesn't turn into one (and the jury is still out on Urias).

Actually, now that I think about it, the Angels haven't really had many truly great starting pitchers. I realize that historically speaking it has been an organization light on top tier talent, but all of their best pitchers were either #2 types with one or two #1 seasons (e.g. Weaver, Lackey) or solid #2-3 types with longevity (Finley, Witt, Tanana). There are no Scherzers or Verlanders or Kershaws. I know these guys don't grow on trees, but it is a notable gap in the historical resume. The closest thing was Nolan Ryan, and he was always a "flawed ace" due to his high walk count. Or you have to go back to Dean Chance.

Jerry Dipoto is the reason for that. He wasn’t big on high ceiling low floor types. Eppler is the opposite. So far he hasn’t really hit on many pitchers, but it takes time to find the pitcher equivalent of Jo Adell.