• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Ward

I agree with the sentiments of the OP, but did he read a book or a wikipedia entry about Mike Trout or actually live through it?

Trout was at AA for the year, then was called up when Bourjos got hurt. He played 14 games in July that year with a .492 OPS. But more importantly he hit 4-30 in his first 9 games. Then he turned it on, but in his next 15, he hit .356 / .423 / .756 (1.179 OPS), then slumped in September and October.

The Angels weren't a contender, and had a lot of veterans in line for playing time, Bourjos and Trumbo were the best hitters. Torii was in RF and Abreu in LF/DH, we also had Wells that year.

I believe Ward is closer in comparison to Kole Calhoun, who was called up in 2013, after spending a bit of time with the big club in 2012 (3 Starts). He like Ward was in his Age 24 season when he was called up, had played college baseball, like Ward. In an extended call-up in 2013, he played 58 games, starting most of them. Ward also is in his 4th minor league season,

That's what I expect from Ward, and I expect it this week.

1 minute ago, Hubs said:

I agree with the sentiments of the OP, but did he read a book or a wikipedia entry about Mike Trout or actually live through it?

Trout was at AA for the year, then was called up when Bourjos got hurt. He played 14 games in July that year with a .492 OPS. But more importantly he hit 4-30 in his first 9 games. Then he turned it on, but in his next 15, he hit .356 / .423 / .756 (1.179 OPS), then slumped in September and October.

The Angels weren't a contender, and had a lot of veterans in line for playing time, Bourjos and Trumbo were the best hitters. Torii was in RF and Abreu in LF/DH, we also had Wells that year.

I believe Ward is closer in comparison to Kole Calhoun, who was called up in 2013, after spending a bit of time with the big club in 2012 (3 Starts). He like Ward was in his Age 24 season when he was called up, had played college baseball, like Ward. In an extended call-up in 2013, he played 58 games, starting most of them. Ward also is in his 4th minor league season,

That's what I expect from Ward, and I expect it this week.

who was just called up.

Fixed!

Ward is being called up.

I guess they doing this third base experiment with him and he may play some games there.

IMO, hand him the starting catcher's job for the rest of the season and let him get his MLB start with little pressure and a chance to be next year's starting catcher if things go well.

why not ?

I think he was pretty good -- Halos need was more at 3B but then they traded away Maldonado and now the Halos are left without a solid catcher for the future.

Meanwhile, Ward, I think - was drafted as a catcher and played most of his pro ball career (and before) there -- and then the Halos moved him this year.

So, he's a catcher who can play 3B -- great. Now - have him put the gear back on.

meanwhile - we have Ohtani doing the pitching/ hitting thing this year -- why not have a catcher who plays 3B or DH a few days a week and catches about three days a week.

Match catchers with the rotation pitcher --

40 minutes ago, disarcina said:

I think he was pretty good -- Halos need was more at 3B but then they traded away Maldonado and now the Halos are left without a solid catcher for the future.

Meanwhile, Ward, I think - was drafted as a catcher and played most of his pro ball career (and before) there -- and then the Halos moved him this year.

So, he's a catcher who can play 3B -- great. Now - have him put the gear back on.

meanwhile - we have Ohtani doing the pitching/ hitting thing this year -- why not have a catcher who plays 3B or DH a few days a week and catches about three days a week.

Match catchers with the rotation pitcher --

If the Angels thought he had any chance of being able to be a major league catcher, he’d still be a catcher. 

39 minutes ago, disarcina said:

he's probably a catcher like Buster Posey -- a solid hitter who's hitting would be enhanced if the guy was playing 1B or DH (if the NL had the DH which isn't happening any time soon).

no, he wasn't a very good catcher, particularly from the neck up.

OK - you guys have convinced me.

I assumed he was drafted as a catcher, played for years (youth ball, high school) as a catcher -- and now suddenly he's a pro and they don't think he's very good behind the dish?

Does not make a lot of sense to me -- but the folks posting above -- especially Jeff Fletcher - know this stuff a lot better than I do. Perhaps LOU as well.

I think it's likely the guy can flat out hit and the front office folks have concluded it's better if he concentrates on his hitting -- and BTW - third base has been a problem for us since we let Glaus get away........

I still think his catching skills could come in handy -- always nice to have a guy who can perhaps play 3B, DH and then be a third string catcher if the need arises in an extra inning game .

3 minutes ago, disarcina said:

I assumed he was drafted as a catcher, played for years (youth ball, high school) as a catcher -- and now suddenly he's a pro and they don't think he's very good behind the dish?

Does not make a lot of sense to me -- but the folks posting above -- especially Jeff Fletcher - know this stuff a lot better than I do. Perhaps LOU as well.

I think it's likely the guy can flat out hit and the front office folks have concluded it's better if he concentrates on his hitting -- and BTW - third base has been a problem for us since we let Glaus get away........

I still think his catching skills could come in handy -- always nice to have a guy who can perhaps play 3B, DH and then be a third string catcher if the need arises in an extra inning game .

The problem we’ve heard with his catching skills were his catching skills.

22 minutes ago, disarcina said:

he batted .272 with a slash line of .366/.375/.741 before moving to 3B.

this year: 

.349 BA. 446/.531/.977

Eppy made the right decision.