• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Skaggs back to the DL

Glen

Why not just sign Mark Prior and count on him for 30 starts next year?

Now, here is an honest question.  Is that really that much more ridiculous than counting on all these guys that also obviously can't stay healthy?

What odds would you have to get to bet that there is even one Angel Starter next year that logs 180 innings?

7 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Why not just sign Mark Prior and count on him for 30 starts next year?

Now, here is an honest question.  Is that really that much more ridiculous than counting on all these guys that also obviously can't stay healthy?

What odds would you have to get to bet that there is even one Angel Starter next year that logs 180 innings?

Well if they go with a 6 man rotation that would be 27 starts for the healthiest starter and they have to average just over 6 2/3 innings.   I’ll say short of trading for DeGrom we won’t have anyone get to 180 innings for a few seasons. 

15 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Well if they go with a 6 man rotation that would be 27 starts for the healthiest starter and they have to average just over 6 2/3 innings.   I’ll say short of trading for DeGrom we won’t have anyone get to 180 innings for a few seasons. 

The talk of a 6 man rotation for me is nails on a chalkboard.

It was a stupid plan day one and it is a stupid plan now.

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

Cool, but they did it, and likely will try it again next year with Ohtani in the fold.  So that should be a contributing factor in asking the 180 innings pitched question. 

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Cool, but they did it, and likely will try it again next year with Ohtani in the fold.  So that should be a contributing factor in asking the 180 innings pitched question. 

There is no reason even with Ohtani to have a full 6 man rotation.  You just need one "swingman" to take the ball like a few times.

I just don't believe you fully bring in the 6th best starter and give them a full share of 1/6th of all starts and take away starts from better pitchers.

16 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I cant tell if it was a stupid plan. We still havent been able to implement it. We've had something like a 12 man rotation, havent we?

But it sounds good on paper, with how fragile our starters have been. 

3 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

It doesn't really matter if we use a 2-man rotation or a 15-man rotation if we continue to rely on the same injury-prone pitchers every year and then act surprised and make excuses when they get injured yet again. Heaney is the only one who has remarkably avoided injury and everyone else has gotten injured as usual. We need an overhaul of the rotation. I wouldn't mind trading some top-10 prospects and try to get our own version of Sale/Scherzer

Don't have him automatically sit out the season, but make sure it's not hurting him before he returns to the rotation. 

If he can just get in another 24 innings (4-5 starts) to get to 140 innings, then he can progress to 160-170 innings next season, which would be a normal workload in a 6 man rotation.   Heaney is already on his way to being there next season, with 127 innings pitched so far.   Barria has pitched 105.2 innings between here and AAA so far.

The rest of the rotation is totally up in the air for 2019.   Ohtani's status is still uncertain, and even if able to pitch, the innings count needs to be watched carefully due to only pitching some 80-90 innings total the past two years.    Tropeano, see Ohtani.   Canning will be a rookie with one pro season under his belt.   Suarez is still limited to 4-5 innings a start, pretty much.   Felix Pena has some promise, but also still a lot of questions.     Shoe needs to move to the pen, ditto for Meyer.