• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Scioscia NOT stepping down

Glen

1 hour ago, ettin said:

Since Yasmani is at the top of the free agent catcher heap, he is much more likely to get a deal similar to Brian McCann, a player he compares well with in terms of total production.

Probably more like 5/$85 give or take since he is a year older than McCann when he signed his free agent contract.

Sorry I meant 5 year 85 million* @Stradling

Just now, 2020worldseries said:

lol but seriously you guys really want to sign granola to a 4/5 year deal?

I get we need a catcher and this team wants to compete in 2019 but long term it could just be a disaster

If he got a 4 year deal it would still be better production than you giving Lucroy a 2 year deal.  

6 minutes ago, 2020worldseries said:

lol but seriously you guys really want to sign granola to a 4/5 year deal?

I get we need a catcher and this team wants to compete in 2019 but long term it could just be a disaster

At 4/60, yes, I would do it.  We do not have any significant catching prospects.  If we had a stud catcher developing at, say, double A or even hi-A, I might punt on that, but we do not.

I get wanting to avoid a bad deal, I really do.  It is why I am probably in the minority when I say I want to avoid signing a SP or RP in this market.  I feel a vast majority of those deals will be awful, and I want to avoid that.  I feel this way though because I have faith in what we are producing in the minors, and feel our minor leaguers are blossoming and can take those positions very soon.

Again, it is about the context of the overall depth of the organization.  We do not have any catching prospects worth discussing.  It is okay to take a risk on someone like Grandal when you truly have no veritable options at the position.

1 hour ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

Dammit i thought i was going to have to change my Username again. I was going to change it to Pujols4MVP lmao

My name has jinxed which ever person is next to 4MVP:

1: Napoli4MVP - Naps got traded for Vernon Wells.

2. Morales4MVP - he broke his & leg wasn't the same with the Angels.

And yet all these years, you never became pujols or valbuena4mvp?

18 minutes ago, 2020worldseries said:

and a draft pick?

Let's wait to see if the Dodges actually offer the QO.  The Dodgers have the best catching pipeline in baseball and have a litany of great catching prospects.  If they offer a QO, it's possible Grandal accepts (I think the QO will be around 19-20mil?).  They may not want to run that risk, as they have other holes to fill on that team.

If they do offer it, then it's obviously a consideration, since it's another cost to whomever signs him.  

Grandal would be an absolute moron to not accept the QO, if given to him. He'd still be a free agent at 31.

And I'd be OK losing the draft pick, especially if we get a high 1st rounder. We're trying to win the next two years. Grandal helps with that. A 2nd round pick does not.

28 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Let's wait to see if the Dodges actually offer the QO.  The Dodgers have the best catching pipeline in baseball and have a litany of great catching prospects.  If they offer a QO, it's possible Grandal accepts (I think the QO will be around 19-20mil?).  They may not want to run that risk, as they have other holes to fill on that team.

If they do offer it, then it's obviously a consideration, since it's another cost to whomever signs him.  

Yeah they are stacked in the minors at catcher; Will Smith, Ruiz and have Barnes already in the majors. But I think theres almost a guarantee they will offer it. Will he accept it? Not sure

At age 30 the way he hits he is worth that 1 year deal. But at age 31 his value on the open market will decline faster than non catchers and he would be coming off a great year. He would probably want to take advantage of that rather then risk injury or down year the following year

Im just hesitant in giving a large deal to a catcher. You are correct, our catching in the minors is not nearly as good as our other positions (Kruger I think has a chance, but who knows). So spending on a catcher makes sense. Just think in the long run it will be a bad contract

9 minutes ago, 2020worldseries said:

Yeah they are stacked in the minors at catcher; Will Smith, Ruiz and have Barnes already in the majors. But I think theres almost a guarantee they will offer it. Will he accept it? Not sure

At age 30 the way he hits he is worth that 1 year deal. But at age 31 his value on the open market will decline faster than non catchers and he would be coming off a great year. He would probably want to take advantage of that rather then risk injury or down year the following year

Im just hesitant in giving a large deal to a catcher. You are correct, our catching in the minors is not nearly as good as our other positions (Kruger I think has a chance, but who knows). So spending on a catcher makes sense. Just worried in the long run it will be a bad contract

Unfortunately, most FA contracts aren't good ones.  If you look at last offseason, there were a ton of them.  Even Cozart, who we thought we signed to a very reasonable 3 year contract, looks to be a poor signing.  Darvish has barely pitched for the Cubs and not looked good.  Lots of people here wanted to sign Wade Davis, who is getting blasted with the Rockies right now and wasn't even used today in a save situation.  Holland was terrible then released.

The list goes on and on.  I want to largely avoid signing anyone to a deal for more than one year, but as I said earlier, I feel catcher is the one position on our team that it's "worth it" to take that gamble, because we genuinely have no other options if we want to attempt to contend next year.  We can get by with the SPs we have, the relievers, the infielders, etc.. but catcher is the one true area we need outside help.  If we limit the risks we take (i.e. don't sign any other players to long-term deals this offseason), then it is okay to take the risk at catcher IMO.  

6 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Unfortunately, most FA contracts aren't good ones.  If you look at last offseason, there were a ton of them.  Even Cozart, who we thought we signed to a very reasonable 3 year contract, looks to be a poor signing.  Darvish has barely pitched for the Cubs and not looked good.  Lots of people here wanted to sign Wade Davis, who is getting blasted with the Rockies right now and wasn't even used today in a save situation.  Holland was terrible then released.

The list goes on and on.  I want to largely avoid signing anyone to a deal for more than one year, but as I said earlier, I feel catcher is the one position on our team that it's "worth it" to take that gamble, because we genuinely have no other options if we want to attempt to contend next year.  We can get by with the SPs we have, the relievers, the infielders, etc.. but catcher is the one true area we need outside help.  If we limit the risks we take (i.e. don't sign any other players to long-term deals this offseason), then it is okay to take the risk at catcher IMO.  

Yeah most are shit. 

If limiting risk is signing  a 30 year old catcher to a 4/5 year deal then do it? I get everything your saying that we don't have a catcher coming up in the system so its worth the "gamble" But ever think of why there isn't? I don't think Eppler values plus hitting from a catcher at all. I can't see him (and wouldn't want) giving 15 per year to a plus hitting catcher at 30

I'm okay with him finding a plus defender at catcher who is a below average hitter, instead of signing Grandal to a poor contract