• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Scioscia NOT stepping down

Glen

1 hour ago, WeatherWonk said:

This IS an epic Angel buttercuping.

Right up there with the '79 Angel El Foldo against the Brewers, the '86 tanking against the Red Sox, the '95 nosedive against the Mariners and the Aybar squeeze bunt.

Ok....I am a little confused.  Ate you referring to the 79 Orioles and 82 Brewers????

Not sure what buttercuping is referred to.

2 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

And yet all these years, you never became pujols or valbuena4mvp?

At the time i believed that a new manager would not bat Pujols 4th, it was higher up on my priority at the time to jinx scioscia & not pujols.
I didn't realize I was bad luck until after Morales broke his leg.

I have to wait til Scioscia officially is no longer with the Angels before i change my username, if i change it now Scioscia will end up signing a 2 year deal to stay in Anaheim.

2 hours ago, 2020worldseries said:

Yeah most are shit. 

If limiting risk is signing  a 30 year old catcher to a 4/5 year deal then do it? I get everything your saying that we don't have a catcher coming up in the system so its worth the "gamble" But ever think of why there isn't? I don't think Eppler values plus hitting from a catcher at all. I can't see him (and wouldn't want) giving 15 per year to a plus hitting catcher at 30

I'm okay with him finding a plus defender at catcher who is a below average hitter, instead of signing Grandal to a poor contract

That's cool man.  We can agree to disagree on this matter.  I am fiscally conservative when it comes to spending $$ on free agents and am all for prudence, but this is one spot I'd like to take a chance on.  

It is just my opinion, but I feel a catcher's impact on the game is by far the greatest of any position player, as they literally impact every single pitch defensively, whereas other defenders only get a handful of chances per game.  So I am more amenable to overpay for a player who I feel has a strong chance to be a great catcher for "most" of the contract than I am for other positions/players.

22 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Because you think they were playing for his benefit?

No, but there are morale issues.  It doesn't matter if it is a baseball team or an office full of employees.  If there is a perception, real or imagined, that management is phoning it in - productivity will suffer.

3 hours ago, NotMyCat said:

No, but there are morale issues.  It doesn't matter if it is a baseball team or an office full of employees.  If there is a perception, real or imagined, that management is phoning it in - productivity will suffer.

This isn't an office supply company. 

These guys all have a very real vested interested in performing their best, no matter what the guy next to him is doing. They want to win and they want to make money and stay in the major leagues. They are also doing it in front of the whole world, with stats that mark their performance and live forever. It's not like a guy sitting at a desk who can just coast and no one will notice.

If you have players who aren't pushed by those factors, you have the wrong players, and it won't matter who the manager is.

Also, no one who has ever spent one second around Mike Scioscia would ever think he's phoning it in.

6 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

This isn't an office supply company. 

These guys all have a very real vested interested in performing their best, no matter what the guy next to him is doing. They want to win and they want to make money and stay in the major leagues. They are also doing it in front of the whole world, with stats that mark their performance and live forever. It's not like a guy sitting at a desk who can just coast and no one will notice.

If you have players who aren't pushed by those factors, you have the wrong players, and it won't matter who the manager is.

Also, no one who has ever spent one second around Mike Scioscia would ever think he's phoning it in.

You just described 95% of the office workforce.

What I take from all of this:

Scioscia hasn't said that he is returning, and he hasn't said that he isn't.

He wants to keep the focus on the season and the game on the field, rather than on his future.

I believe that he knows what he is going to do, and we will all be told in due time.

He is too much of a professional to coast from now until the end of the season. He will continue to manage the team just as he always has, and try to win each game.

32 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

What I take from all of this:

Scioscia hasn't said that he is returning, and he hasn't said that he isn't.

He wants to keep the focus on the season and the game on the field, rather than on his future.

I believe that he knows what he is going to do, and we will all be told in due time.

He is too much of a professional to coast from now until the end of the season. He will continue to manage the team just as he always has, and try to win each game.

^^^

3 minutes ago, TroutTrumbo said:

The Angels will let Scioscia decide how to announce his future, they owe him that much. 

I believe the Angels will orchestrate something that gives Scioscia his graceful exit.

But it is not primarily because they owe him anything (I might argue the opposite).

It is just smart public relations, even if they hated him behind close doors.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

I believe the Angels will orchestrate something that gives Scioscia his graceful exit.

But it is not primarily because they owe him anything (I might argue the opposite).

It is just smart public relations, even if they hated him behind close doors.

But they don’t hate him behind closed doors, so the inclusion of that seems silly.  Believe it or not Scioscia is the 2nd face of Angels baseball.  Before Trout it was Scioscia.  He has been a constant for a team that never had any kind of managerial identity before him.  

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

But they don’t hate him behind closed doors, so the inclusion of that seems silly.  Believe it or not Scioscia is the 2nd face of Angels baseball.  Before Trout it was Scioscia.  He has been a constant for a team that never had any kind of managerial identity before him.  

I did not say they hated him behind closed doors or even suggested that was TRUE.

I simply made a point that the Angels will orchestrate a graceful exit for him.  That's what we will see.

It is what we will see in this situation and it is what we would see even IF things were different behind closed doors.

Edit:  I disagree that Scioscia is the second face.  I have been an Angel fan since 1978, and I personally have never viewed Mike Scioscia as anything more than the guy managing the Angels.  I don't hate him.  Never have.  He, to me, is just the same old, same old guy making out the lineup card and pretending to be annoyed at balls and strikes.  Yawn.

I definitely don't view him as an icon to be treasured.  But that's just me.

Had the team won 3 WS maybe it would be different.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

The only thing the Angels were identified with was failure and talk of curses.  MS is the single biggest reason why people grew to expect more and not simply be satisfied with "just winning the division".   He's the one that came on board and told them they should expect to win and not just "hope things turned out okay".   Anyone that was a fan prior to the golden age of Angels baseball remembers all too well when the talk in preseason was always 'Well, if we catch a few breaks and things go our way we might blah blah blah".   That shit stopped the day Lasagna showed up and taught them how to win.  Tim Salmon, Darin Erstad and pretty much every Angels player that was here before he got here has said as much but you know.... Lasagna...

Edited by Inside Pitch

8 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The only thing the Angels were identified with was failure and talk of curses.  MS is the single biggest reason why people grew to expect more and not simply be satisfied with "just winning the division".   He's the one that came on board and told them they should expect to win and not just "hope things turned out okay".   Anyone that was a fan prior to the golden age of Angels baseball remembers all too well when the talk in preseason was always 'Well, if we catch a few breaks and things go our way we might blah blah blah".   That shit stopped the day Lasorda showed up and taught them how to win.  Tim Salmon, Darin Erstad and pretty much every Angels player that was here before he got here has said as much but you know.... Lasagna...

I could not disagree more.

I can list plenty of players in Angel history that showed up every day expecting to play to win.

There is no way you can convince me Gene Autry didn't try to put championship teams on the field long before Scioscia.

There is no way you can convince me a winning expectation culture did not exist before Scioscia.

Those 1982 and 1986 teams are brutal permanent disappointments BECAUSE the fan base and players expected to win and then didn't.

This is not an insult to Scioscia.  He is a good manager who wants to win.

But there is no reason to rewrite history to pretend he is the reason why suddenly Angel fans had any expectation of winning.

That is simply not true.

4 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I could not disagree more.

I can list plenty of players in Angel history that showed up every day expecting to play to win.

There is no way you can convince me Gene Autry didn't try to put championship teams on the field long before Scioscia.

There is no way you can convince me a winning expectation culture did not exist before Scioscia.

Those 1982 and 1986 teams are brutal permanent disappointments BECAUSE the fan base and players expected to win and then didn't.

This is not an insult to Scioscia.  He is a good manager who wants to win.

But there is no reason to rewrite history to pretend he is the reason why suddenly Angel fans had any expectation of winning.

That is simply not true.

Not trying to convince you of anything -- But, I didn't have my head in the sand, and I remember what was said...  by Port, by Bavasi, and every other schleb that held that office before Stoneman showed up.

More importantly I had Preston Gomez's insights as someone who was actually a part of every team from 81 on.   You'll have to forgive me if I take his opinion and my recollections of what I actually heard said over what fans think.

When someone who was part of baseball for 50+ years and managed three MLB teams says that nothing had a greater impact on the Angels and their fortunes than Stoneman's decision to hire MS, that tends to carry a pretty big chunk of weight.

You don't have to agree.

49 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Not trying to convince you of anything -- But, I didn't have my head in the sand, and I remember what was said...  by Port, by Bavasi, and every other schleb that held that office before Stoneman showed up.

More importantly I had Preston Gomez's insights as someone who was actually a part of every team from 81 on.   You'll have to forgive me if I take his opinion and my recollections of what I actually heard said over what fans think.

When someone who was part of baseball for 50+ years and managed three MLB teams says that nothing had a greater impact on the Angels and their fortunes than Stoneman's decision to hire MS, that tends to carry a pretty big chunk of weight.

You don't have to agree.

I will not argue his opinion.

I personally spent time in the angel clubhouse interacting with players and spent time in the press box interacting with plenty of people connected to the culture if the team.

I have no agenda to not give Scioscia credit for having an expectation of winning culture.

I just think it is inaccurate to say he is the one person that brought it here.

Prior to Stoneman and Sosh the personal feeling I had was that the Angels would sign some over-the-hill big name free agents and try to sneak into the playoffs only to have something mucked up along the way. I really never felt deep down inside that they would go all the way.

The 2000s changed that as there were multiple years I thought they had a great shot at winning it all.

No need to agree or disagree with me, just my personal feelings.