• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Valbuena DFAd?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, Blarg said:

These guys are in their mid 20's not a 19 year old Trout. You don't give a crap about clock time on a MLB regular, only projected star/superstar. 

If either Thaiss of Ward are an actual impact player color me surprised. They can hold down a position but would be a Calhoun level player, some guy that earns a moderate arbitration raise then maybe a four year contact buying out the last arb year. 

So holding them back for clock instead of experience is just stupid at this point. The Angels are out of the race, these guys need some sink or swim time. 

Think what you will, we hear this literally every year about so many players its simply not nonsense

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

What I would say is it is less likely to be an important factor for players who you don't expect to be stars, but perhaps instead serviceable/average MLB players.  I would certainly expect us to do the best we can to ensure years of control/service time for Adell, Canning, etc, but probably not for Ward, Thaiss, etc.

I think it would be worthwhile to give Ward some reps at 3B soon, just to give us an idea of what kind of player we have.  This could play a role in our offseason strategy in terms of who we target, etc.

Hey strange things happen, all we know right now is that Valbeuna was DFA for a spot starter.  Who gets the call after that well see soon enough

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

These guys are in their mid 20's not a 19 year old Trout. You don't give a crap about clock time on a MLB regular, only projected star/superstar. 

If either Thaiss of Ward are an actual impact player color me surprised. They can hold down a position but would be a Calhoun level player, some guy that earns a moderate arbitration raise then maybe a four year contact buying out the last arb year. 

So holding them back for clock instead of experience is just stupid at this point. The Angels are out of the race, these guys need some sink or swim time. 

The reality is there is nothing to gain at this point....   Service time and years of control only come into play in the first couple of months....  If the plan is to gain a year of control, then they will need to hold them back NEXT year....  If the intent is to play them from day one next year, then calling them up  now would have no impact.

Edited by Inside Pitch

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The reality is there is nothing to gain at this point....   Service time and years of control only come into play in the first couple of months....  If the plan is to gain a year of control, then they will need to hold them back NEXT year....  If the intent is to play them from day one next year, then calling them up would have no impact.

All things considered, I'd like to see what we have in Ward.  He's had a fantastic year and I'd like to get an idea if he becomes a playable option moving forward.  I feel like this would be very useful for our FO to evaluate, as it'll help formulate our offseason agenda, etc.  I see no harm in adding him to the 40-man roster and playing him now.  As it is, he has to be added to the 40-man roster this offseason anyway to protect him from the rule V draft, so we might as well start playing him now and see what we have.

Just now, 2020worldseries said:

Im guessing Deck will be sent down after the game today.. will we see Ward?

Valbuena's DFA, in conjunction with us calling up our AAA manager to help our young infielders, suggests to me that a promotion for him is likely.  He's hit incredibly well in both AA and AAA this year.  Nothing left to prove down there.

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

Valbuena's DFA, in conjunction with us calling up our AAA manager to help our young infielders, suggests to me that a promotion for him is likely.  He's hit incredibly well in both AA and AAA this year.  Nothing left to prove down there.

Hoping so. Skaggs said he won't miss his next start so no reason to keep Deck up unless they just slide him to the BP

23 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Hah, Fernandez left the SLC game early. Be funny when he is the call-up and not Ward or Rengifo.

We'll see Ward soon, but something tells me not quite yet. Maybe Chavez is headed to SLC to work with/assess Ward's defense so Eppler can go into offseason with an idea of if he needs 3B help.

I'm fine with JMF being the call-up for now.  He deserves some reps too.  It does make sense - we DFA'd a LH 1B/3B and are going to replace him with a LH 1B/3B.

I think we'll see Ward and Renfigo in September.  Both have to be promoted to the 40-man roster this offseason anyway, so there is no harm in promoting them in September and give them some games.