• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Rosenthal: Scioscia expected to step down at end of season

jordan

Eric Chavez over Brad Ausmus?

I would be surprised.

Brad Aumus as manager with Eric Chavez as third base coach  or bench coach in Anaheim next year - I could see that.

Scioscia getting fired -- I can't see that.

Scioscia managing a new team in 2019 ?  I doubt that.

Scioscia taking over whatever sort of position title Ausmus had this season as 'special assistant to the owner'  - I could see that role for Scioscia with the Halos next season -- perhaps fewer duties and responsibilities than Ausmus has had this season ( reviewing/ commenting/ criticizing Scioscia game moves)

I like Scioscia -- he's been very good for the Angels organization/ franchise over his 19 years in Anaheim.

Some will argue (and have a valid point) that he lost his effectiveness as a manager about five years ago or (some will say earlier than that).

I have not always agreed with Scioscia's game moves or non-moves. I have been critical of his 'formula' style  in-game managerial style with predictable assigned roles to almost each player on the team - especially the sequence of bullpen moves.

I prefer a Tony LaRussa/ Mike Matheny/ Bruce Bochy type approach of mixing things up and keeping the other side guessing 'at all times' -- Brad Ausmus seems more in line with this type of approach.

I like Scioscia and always have -- that being said -- it's just time for a change here. Kick Scioscia upstairs and 'turn the page'

I'd prefer Brad Ausmus be named manager -- if not Ausmus I'd prefer Matheny over the in-house candidates listed so far in the media (Eric Chavez and Josh Paul).

I think I would have a difficult time rooting for/ following the Angels if Josh Paul were named the skipper.

18 minutes ago, disarcina said:

Eric Chavez over Brad Ausmus?

I would be surprised.

Brad Aumus as manager with Eric Chavez as third base coach  or bench coach in Anaheim next year - I could see that.

Scioscia getting fired -- I can't see that.

Scioscia managing a new team in 2019 ?  I doubt that.

Scioscia taking over whatever sort of position title Ausmus had this season as 'special assistant to the owner'  - I could see that role for Scioscia with the Halos next season -- perhaps fewer duties and responsibilities than Ausmus has had this season ( reviewing/ commenting/ criticizing Scioscia game moves)

Brad Ausmus would be a horrible choice to take over.  If your goal is to improve at manager then why would you take a worse manager?  It is one thing if you don't want Mike and you want to go with a young guy, it would be something entirely different to not want Mike and hand pick someone inferior to the previous manager.

2 hours ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

If Jeff Mathis was a National League pitcher, then you can justify his offense.

I used to hate when Mathis started. His bat was horrible.

But looking back...was sosh ahead of the curve?

Mathis is LOVED by every pitcher he ever caught. You see a smart team like houston giving up a cost controlled starter in tropeano for conger...its because of congers framing. Which mathis perfected years earlier.

Going back to what i mentioned earlier about defense being a cheaper cheat to improve pitching, solid catchers do the same.

Again, I would have gone with napoli and made it work. IP had some good insight on why sosh went with mathis. 

But either way, as bad as mathis' bat was, his long career forces you to reevaluate his skills.

Put it like this. Prior to simmons learning to hit, he still had huge value for his glove. A catcher is involved in every pitch of a game.

3 hours ago, robblin17 said:

The fact that Mathis played in that many game is what is stupid. All of them didn’t take from Napoli’s playing time since he played 1B and DH too, but those numbers are still hilarious. 

Its okay though. That Vernon Wells for Napoli and Rivera trade did not hurt us at all. We still got to keep Mathis behind the dish and sent that loser Napoli to go suck for other teams. 

Napoli was constantly on the DL. Maybe you forgot that and his 18 game hitting slumps when he was worse than Valbuena. 

But you've got this assinine agenda without looking up his career and realizing he was a part time catcher for the Rangers and the never started as a Red Sox, Indian or in his second run with Texas. 

Scioscia gave him more time behind the dish than those teams but keep up with your pig headed ways, it really flushes out your knowledge. 

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

Napoli was constantly on the DL. Maybe you forgot that and his 18 game hitting slumps when he was worse than Valbuena. 

But you've got this assinine agenda without looking up his career and realizing he was a part time catcher for the Rangers and the never started as a Red Sox, Indian or in his second run with Texas. 

Scioscia gave him more time behind the dish than those teams but keep up with your pig headed ways, it really flushes out your knowledge. 

Pig headed? Man, that’s all you guys have? 

The real point is we shipped a valuable player like Napoli off for zero reason. Was he a great catcher, no. But let’s gauge the difference in offensive/defensive value combined with Mathis. We could have rode with him until we found a better catching replacement or just used him as a 1B/DH. Thanks for the name calling though! 

1 minute ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

I value offense over defense. 

If I had it my way, Ward/Rengifo/Fletcher is 3rd/SS/2B and Simmons catches.

Or you could just move Ward back to catcher, or will that destroy his hitting?

Sigh

I think we all do. But keep in mind youre seeing that through the eyes of a fan who hasnt seen a good offense in years.

Go back to 2012-14. We scored a ton. But our pitching was horrible. Pitching and defense both fall under run prevention.

Back in the mathis years, we had very good hitting (not as big named as boston and NY), but we hung with boston and new york because of our pitching. Guys like lackey and santana and weaver werent kershaw skills wise, but their ability to shut down big hitting teams was similar. I wont say that was because of mathis. But the combo worked very well.

oh geez -- this has become a Mathis vs. Napoli thread.........cue up the posts from what? ten years ago?  How long has it been now? time flies.

Scioscia and Naps had more than just a 'game approach' disagreement going on -- they just didn't like each other - at all.

Mathis ? How many negative Mathis posts/ trade Mathis/ DFA Mathis/ Mathis has something on Scioscia (always interesting posts) posts were there back in the day????

Ausmus not the answer here?  Any examples/ reasons why poster(s) would feel Ausmus would only make situation worse?

Eric Chavez/ Josh Paul are the names being mentioned --  I think Ausmus is a better choice than those two.

Mike Matheny ?

32 minutes ago, robblin17 said:

The real point is we shipped a valuable player like Napoli off for zero reason. Was he a great catcher, no. But let’s gauge the difference in offensive/defensive value combined with Mathis. We could have rode with him until we found a better catching replacement or just used him as a 1B/DH. Thanks for the name calling though! 

Shipping Napoli off is not the argument you started with. Changing it now doesn't change my responses nor validate what you started with. 

33 minutes ago, Homebrewer said:

I have a feeling that this could all be coming down any day. The moves being made seem to point to MS leaving sooner than later. When managers and FO people start dispelling rumors, it's ofttimes a sign that the move is imminent. 

Gut feeling.

No way the Angels dump him before the season ends. 

19 hours ago, robblin17 said:

It has been reported that Napoli was coming to games hung over and unable to play.  If true wouldnt you want to get rid of him?

4 hours ago, stormngt said:

It has been reported that Napoli was coming to games hung over and unable to play.  If true wouldnt you want to get rid of him?

Hearing stuff like this reminds of my trip to St Louis in 2010 to see the Angels play.    I went to the bar/restaurant near the stadium after the game and saw several of the players together including Weaver and some other guys. Then I see Napoli sitting at the bar all by himself. I thought it was strange he was all alone. 

Edited by jordan

3 hours ago, stormngt said:

Of course. Is there proof of that? I did not know of this, but yes, that would be a valid reason to trade him. Still was a terrible deal though. 

22 hours ago, disarcina said:

oh geez -- this has become a Mathis vs. Napoli thread.........cue up the posts from what? ten years ago?  How long has it been now? time flies.

Scioscia and Naps had more than just a 'game approach' disagreement going on -- they just didn't like each other - at all.

Mathis ? How many negative Mathis posts/ trade Mathis/ DFA Mathis/ Mathis has something on Scioscia (always interesting posts) posts were there back in the day????

Ausmus not the answer here?  Any examples/ reasons why poster(s) would feel Ausmus would only make situation worse?

Eric Chavez/ Josh Paul are the names being mentioned --  I think Ausmus is a better choice than those two.

Mike Matheny ?

I'll play devil's advocate with Ausmus.

1.Retread manager

2.Sub .500 winning percentage 314-332

3.0-3 playoff record

4.Couldn't win a playoff game with Scherzer,Verlander,Porcello,Miggy,Kinsler,J.D Martinez,Victor Martinez,Hunter

5.Retread manager

7 hours ago, robblin17 said:

Of course. Is there proof of that? I did not know of this, but yes, that would be a valid reason to trade him. Still was a terrible deal though. 

Maybe you didnt read my post properly.  I used the words "it has been reported" and "if true".

You see, phrases like this refers to the fact that there hasnt been a lot of substantiation to it.  I do know it has been reported on here during this season.  I remember because I was suprised by the report as I was against trading Napoli.  However if true (you do see the condition "if") than I understand trading him.

Now i would agree the trade for Napoli and Rivera for Wells was a disaster.  Hell I would have been a disaster just for Rivera....it would have been better just trading him for a bucket of balls.  I argue that.