• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread vs White Sox: 07/23/18 Fletcher in vs. RHP

2 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Thank God we have Upton's glove in the field. It's been a savior

Admittedly, that has been disappointing.  Still, I don’t get why we’re worried about Upton.   Maybe Martinez fucks his back up again next year.  Will we be OK with the Upton signing then ?

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Well you somehow came to the conclusion it was a possibility.  I mean if I squint real hard I could see how we almost traded Albert back to St Louis, because in my head I can make it true.  

I mean theoretically you can make the case JD/Boras would have gone to the highest bidder. Sox stayed tight even with Scotty playing hardball at $110M, if Angels bid more then most likely the Sox would have upped their offer which would have made Boras happy but we don't know how far the Sox would have gone. Every dollar is doubled for them since they're at the tax - if Upton opted out and Arte was willing to go $150M/6yrs the Angels probably get him.

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I’m not sure whether the Marte is a good player or the Kubitza is a good prospect take was more pathetic. 

Desperate times around this place few years ago. 

marte is easily replaced. he's just a guy filling the roster right now. same with valbuena.

Just now, Dochalo said:

If Martinez were here he'd have 10 less hrs, 20 less rbi, a .810 ops and -2.0 dWAR.  Upton would have gone to Boston and played in AL east parks where he'd be banging balls off the monster.  

the assumption that any player would be the same on the halos as they are somewhere else is absurd.  

You forgot the 3,182 additional LOBRISP. All those LOBsters pair nicely with Sam Adams Salty Tears Summer Ale. 

Just now, IheartLA said:

I mean theoretically you can make the case JD/Boras would have gone to the highest bidder. Sox stayed tight even with Scotty playing hardball at $110M, if Angels bid more then most likely the Sox would have upped their offer which would have made Boras happy but we don't know how far the Sox would have gone. Every dollar is doubled for them since they're at the tax - if Upton opted out and Arte was willing to go $150M/6yrs the Angels probably get him.

Yea, I wouldn’t want to give JD Martinez a 6 year deal.  Hell he is really only on a two year deal now.  If he has another good year next year, he will opt out.  

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

If Martinez were here he'd have 10 less hrs, 20 less rbi, a .810 ops and -2.0 dWAR.  Upton would have gone to Boston and played in AL east parks where he'd be banging balls off the monster.  

the assumption that any player would be the same on the halos as they are somewhere else is absurd.  

Look at the park adjusted metrics. They favor JD by a lot. The idea that he isn't a better hitter than Upton is absurd

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Also, are you referring to JD Martinez or TJ Martinez? Asking for an Angels trainer "friend."

Upton was either pretty good on D at one point or at least had a reputation of being a decent OF'er with the glove.

I don't remember him being this bad last year. And I am talking about the past month or two.

Seems like I turn on the game and Upton has made some fielding blunder -- not always scored an "E".

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yea, I wouldn’t want to give JD Martinez a 6 year deal.  Hell he is really only on a two year deal now.  If he has another good year next year, he will opt out.  

I don't think last year was an abberation, I think that's the new normal. This year even with the best FA class in a long time will probably go all the way down till mid February for a lot of these guys.

I think teams look at age 34-35 as their cutoff now even for the superstars. Also 5 year commitments with deescalating salaries almost like "what would this player get at this age in the FA market". Hosmer got essentially a 5 year deal at market value then a descalated 3 year deal. 

JD will not be getting anything more than a 3yr deal at age 32 if he opts out - the contract is kind of made that it's value is what he probably would be offered at that point.

2 minutes ago, disarcina said:

Upton was either pretty good on D at one point or at least had a reputation of being a decent OF'er with the glove.

I don't remember him being this bad last year. And I am talking about the past month or two.

Seems like I turn on the game and Upton has made some fielding blunder -- not always scored an "E".

He was league average-ish from 2009-2011, been a negative on D ever since. His bat has more than made up for it most years, but yeah, not a good defender for a long time now.