• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels and Yankees, trade partners?

https://www.mlb.com/news/yankees-angels-trade-deadline-partners/c-285791058

There is nothing specific here, and it's merely just Morosi making a suggestion, but it's obvious that the Yankees and Angels could be good trading partners, given Cashman and Eppler's history together, as well as Eppler's likely familiarity with Yankees prospects.

While I would be very reluctant to trade either Skaggs or Heaney, it'd be interesting to speculate as to the return we could get for them.  Given the dearth of available legitimate SP, we could possibly hit a home run by trading one of the two.

Said this in the Harper thread, but the Angels and Eppler have so many different routes that can take the way this year has gone. There are so many new variables in play that did not exist in the prior Eppler years that we really have no idea what will happen this deadline or offseason. Any route they take could be justified or argued as plausible at least.

Suarez could replace either to add lefty presence lost in the rotation. Corbin could be signed in the offseason. They could receive a lefty prospect like Sheffield from the Yanks, who they may not want to part with for a rental position player like Machado but feel comfortable dealing in return for a controllable MLB LHSP. The Angels could take whatever prospects they receive from NYY and turn around and deal from that new depth to bring in another lefty or pitcher. Anything could really go.

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Said this in the Harper thread, but the Angels and Eppler have so many different routes that can take the way this year has gone. There are so many new variables in play that did not exist in the prior Eppler years that we really have no idea what will happen this deadline or offseason. Any route they take could be justified or argued as plausible at least.

Suarez could replace either to add lefty presence lost in the rotation. Corbin could be signed in the offseason. They could receive a lefty prospect like Sheffield from the Yanks, who they may not want to part with for a rental position player like Machado but feel comfortable dealing in return for a controllable MLB LHSP.

Yes, exactly.  There are very few SP options on the market, which means the leverage is with the seller, not the buyer.  We can absolutely hold out for a home run-type of deal with Skaggs/Heaney.  If the Yanks or some other contender is willing to trade multiple top-end, near-ready prospects to us, then I'd say we might as well go for it, as we wouldn't be so much rebuilding as we would be reloading for 2019. 

Just now, Dochalo said:

A lot of the yankee prospects are overrated.  

They want Skaggs?  

Fine, I would want Sheffield, Frazier and Espinal/Carroll

That’s where the Eppler connection comes in. He’d know these guys.

Frazier is blocked to a degree, bringing him in allows more flexibility with the future of our other OF prospects. They have numerous IF prospects that are probably on par with what we have in Fletcher, Ward, and Thaiss - it adds to that depth. They have numerous arms and we’re thin.

8 minutes ago, Revad said:

It’s hard to replace controllable pitching, which is what the Yanks need.  Andujar might be worth it for Heaney though Andujar’s defense is questionable so don’t see Eppler doing that.

Might Yankees send him to us while acquiring machado?

3 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

We need more starting pitching not less.

True, but this year is basically lost.  If we got Sheffield as part of the package for Skaggs, we'd be getting a guy who likely can step in Skaggs' place and pitch well in 2019.   And, of course, we'd have more years of control at a cheaper cost, etc.

I'd be fine with trading a starting pitcher if I had any confidence in Matt Shoemaker, Alex Meyer, JC Ramirez, Nick Tropeano or even Nate Smith returning to the starting pitcher role and staying healthy.  

As it stands, Shoemaker's absence is laden with mystery, we don't know if he'll ever pitch professionally again.  Alex Meyer definitely showed the upside, but shoulder issues are no joke.  He's probably returning as a reliever, if he returns at all.  Same with J.C. Ramirez.  Nate SMoith can't catch a break.  It's been a long time since he threw a pitch competitively.  We'll see if he's ever the same. 

Lining up next season, we have Ohtani, Heaney, Skaggs, Barria, McGuire, Pena, Tropeano, Canning, Suarez, Pena.

But if Ohtani's hurt, and McGuire and Pena turn back into a pumpkin, we're left with Heaney, Skaggs, Barria, Canning, Tropeano, Suarez and Pena.  That's whole lot of unproven right there. 

Absolute best case scenario, Ohtani is fine, Canning replaces Richards, and Heaney, Barria and Skaggs keep doing their thing and someone from the DL comes back healthy like Meyer or Suarez is everything as advertised and more and the rest move to the bullpen. 

Still, I don't think the Angels can afford to trade away pitching.  Not with the rate at which they're losing pitchers. 

Skaggs - 2 years of control

heaney - 3 years

Andujar - 5 years

Thats a lot more control. Remember Ward isn’t one of Epplers picks so who knows how he feels about him and he’s only shown to hit well for one year. It would be nice to put andujar at third for the next 5 years...

Skaggs and Heaney have injury history but it would suck to have to trade one of them...

1 minute ago, 2020worldseries said:

heaney - 3 years

Andujar - 5 years

Thats a lot more control. Remember Ward isn’t one of Epplers picks so who knows how he feels about him and he’s only shown to hit well for one year. It would be nice to put andujar at third for the next 5 years...

Skaggs and Heaney have injury history but it would suck to have to trade one of them...

I don't really care if mediocre players are under club control.  

3 minutes ago, 2020worldseries said:

heaney - 3 years

Andujar - 5 years

Oh we certainly don't have to, and if not, that's cool, because they help us win next year.  But if a team, like the Yankees, becomes desperate for another starter, then it makes sense to see how much they are willing to give up to get that starter.  If we can get Sheffield as part of a strong package from them, then we effectively have a replacement for Skaggs (or Heaney) who we can slot in next year.  Yes, he's unproven (hence a prospect), but he's very promising, and he would just be one piece of a package we'd get.

As long as Arte signs a lot of FA, I'm okay with trading away a SP.  I am sure Eppler will only trade if he gets exactly what he wants from Cashman as he knows the prospects better like it's already been stated.  Trade away the vets(if possible) and bring up the young guys.  That will be much more exciting.  The Angels aren't winning with the current group so might as well get younger and see what they can do.

10 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I don't really care if mediocre players are under club control.  

Ive really only seen him hit against the Angels and I’m not a scout lol so I’m just going off pure numbers  but 820 OPS and 117 OPS+ in his  first year is hardly  mediocre. Maybe being in the best lineup in the league has helped with his plate discipline since they have to pitch to him but those numbers are solid for his first year

I’m guessing that’s better than everyone on the angels besides Simmons trout and Ohtani

1. Justus Sheffield, LHP, New York Yankees

Why he’ll succeed: Mid-90s velocity from the left side with a shot for two above-average (or better) secondaries are some good portents for success.

Why he might fail: Health, command, consistency, height. When he’s not healthy the stuff can flag, and the inconsistency of his control and command mean that even when he is healthy, the quality of the pitches can play down. All of this could result in a relief profile when it’s all said and done.

Just now, Dochalo said:

if the halos would consider trading skaggs, it opens a door with many teams.   

philly, atlanta, milwaukee, yankees, and dodgers.  

all teams with top farm systems.  

Yup.  Not only that, but I would have the GM of each team come before Eppler and bow down offering their best prospects while wearing a pink tutu.

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

if the halos would consider trading skaggs, it opens a door with many teams.   

philly, atlanta, milwaukee, yankees, and dodgers.  

all teams with top farm systems.  

Absolutely.  There really aren't many good SP options available for trade.  JA Happ seems like the headliner.  If Skaggs becomes available (and deGrom/Syndergaard do not), it's quite possible we'd have the best SP on the market.  Many contenders need a good LH SP; we could get a tremendous deal.