• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Would you make a move for deGrom?

Chuck

If Ohtani has to have TJ then the Angels probably don't have a choice but to go after a top of rotation type pitcher like deGrom which probably means trading Adell + others.

Seems they would need more than Skaggs and Heaney to compete against the Sale's, Verlander's, Severino's, Kluber's, Scherzer's and Kershaw's.

But they also need to retool the bullpen and 3B and.....

9 minutes ago, ksangel said:

If Ohtani has to have TJ then the Angels probably don't have a choice but to go after a top of rotation type pitcher like deGrom which probably means trading Adell + others.

Seems they would need more than Skaggs and Heaney to compete against the Sale's, Verlander's, Severino's, Kluber's, Scherzer's and Kershaw's.

But they also need to retool the bullpen and 3B and.....

I think they have the pieces to fix 3B between JMF, Fletcher, Rengifo. They could always toy with Moose, Donaldson, Cabrera, Beltre, LeMahieu as FA options too, especially if they're spending prospect currency on SP. 

Spending money on bullpens didn't work for anyone this offseason, and Eppler hasn't done it before. I don't see him trading precious prospects for relievers either - he's too stingy with them. I think the pen is always going to be a build-as-you-go process for him, and done on the cheap side. If the rotation and lineup are stable, this should be the best approach. No need to overspend in an effort to compensate for the failings of the SPs and hitters. Fix that process and keep the same approach for the relievers.

• 1 month later...

like any other player that's possibly available, i'd call the mets and see what it'd take to make a deal. i'd be willing to listen seriously for most anyone in the minors and everyone but ohtani and trout in anaheim.

degrom doesn't put us over the top, but he'd be an incredibly important piece to move us in the right direction.

I still want to make a move for him in the offseason. I would give up Suarez, Canning and all of Claude's hate letters to the Angels about Pujols for deGrom in the offseason. 

I imagine it'd be really hard to get deGrom without giving up Adell. 

If he's not included, it might actually hurt more by the quantity that'd be surrendered. So if Adell wound up coming out as 60% (or more) of the value going back, I'd have to consider putting him on the table. Something like Adell, Jones, and Yan. 

Not sure swapping him out and replacing with an offer of Canning, Suarez, Jones, and Marsh (or any other four Top 10) would be any better. That's a lot of quantity surrender, and even with Adell's explosive ceiling, if you can lean on his hype to save a couple other players it may be worth considering. 

But I wouldn't do it. I've backed off win-now mode. I think we're setting up the 2020+ Angels at this time and I'm good with that.

17 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I imagine it'd be really hard to get deGrom without giving up Adell. 

If he's not included, it might actually hurt more by the quantity that'd be surrendered. So if Adell wound up coming out as 60% (or more) of the value going back, I'd have to consider putting him on the table. Something like Adell, Jones, and Yan. 

Not sure swapping him out and replacing with an offer of Canning, Suarez, Jones, and Marsh (or any other four Top 10) would be any better. That's a lot of quantity surrender, and even with Adell's explosive ceiling, if you can lean on his hype to save a couple other players it may be worth considering. 

But I wouldn't do it. I've backed off win-now mode. I think we're setting up the 2020+ Angels at this time and I'm good with that.

I understand that. I'm just saying this. We need a legit #1 guy. I want to believe that guy is Ohtani, but I'm equally as impressed with his bat and concerned about his arm going forward.

We've learned this year that Heaney and Skaggs are good back end starters, not frontline guys. Richards should never be counted on, and Skaggs/Heaney/Trop/Shoe are way too injury prone to count on going forward IMHO. 

18 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I understand that. I'm just saying this. We need a legit #1 guy. I want to believe that guy is Ohtani, but I'm equally as impressed with his bat and concerned about his arm going forward.

We've learned this year that Heaney and Skaggs are good back end starters, not frontline guys. Richards should never be counted on, and Skaggs/Heaney/Trop/Shoe are way too injury prone to count on going forward IMHO. 

I agree we need a #1, no matter however Ohtani goes, it's more about the timing. 

If the Angels are truly viewing 2019 and 2020 as a 'win-now for Trout and Pujols' window then yeah, call up NYM and offer Adell and Canning and get deGrom down here. Sign Machado, Grandal, and Robertson and go for it. It's definitely within the realm of possibility, and gives you a heck of a team.

...but I don't think that's the real plan. I believe the Angels have every reason to hope to contend the next two years, and will make smaller moves accordingly like what they did with Maybin, Cozart, and Kinsler (maybe even a Simmons-esque move if the right conditions form) in an attempt to get a message to the casual fan that they're in it to win it, but I'm starting to see more clues that hint at a much larger plan.

Eppler has rebuilt the farm. He's barely touched it, he's added to it in every way imaginable short of a fire-sale (again, casual fan messaging, in it to win it), he's brought new coaches, scouts, and systems into place, and it's starting to pay dividends. He's gone heavy on OF depth to either fill a Trout-sized hole, sprinkle talent around Trout, or trade away as excess if Trout stays. That leads me to believe he isn't hinging the future of the franchise on whether or not Trout stays. He's planning for every scenario. Which leads me to think he isn't seeing the current path as "Let's win it before Trout leaves!!!!" We'll almost definitely see a new manager next year, in Eppler's contract year, and I imagine at this point there's a good chance the Sosh/Trout years are ceding to the Eppler Years, which will proceed with or without Trout. 

So I just don't see a deGrom move being realistic. It'd be nice if it happened, and I could still see it happening if Eppler felt the price was right, but I don't think there's momentum to build a WS-caliber team in Eppler's last year under contract unless he has his eye on a job elsewhere and just wants to throw it all in the fire. I think we're going to keep stocking up talent, hope Trout stays, sign stopgaps, and once 2020 rolls around, see Eppler start to make a real push with his slightly more seasoned new manager, a deeper farm, a clearer picture on Trout, Simmons, and Skaggs, and hopefully a Houston team that's started to lose momentum.

53 minutes ago, totdprods said:

If the Angels are truly viewing 2019 and 2020 as a 'win-now for Trout and Pujols' window...

Pujols is not a window, he's more like a potato cellar door.

I'd say YES to Halos making a pitch for DeGrom if he's going to be made available.

MLB with F/A has gotten to the point where each off-season there are about four elite players available who take all the oxygen (and money) out of the market -- and then there's everyone else.

DeGrom would be one of those 'four our five' guys and probably breaking the bank (present and future) and selling the farm (we've done that before) to provide for a 'win now' window for Trout, Pujols and I'd add Ohtani.

But if you get out-bid for DeGrom (a likely scenario with the Halos) - I think you revert back to 2019/20 really being a re-building period.

I guess this is where I say I am really disappointed in the 2018 Halos season (aren't we all?)  I was sort of pumped up this year and thought the Halos would have a very competitive team this year, liked the roster coming in -- was excited about Ohtani and all that he brings to the game/ team/ atmosphere --- and here we are heading into another September of meaningless games playing out the string with a bunch of AAA guys getting playing time.