• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Would you make a move for deGrom?

Chuck

8 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Not if you want to win in the next two Trout years. 

Noah Syndergaard would be great too, but deGrom has been proven to stay healthier of the two. 

Those saying deGrom is too old at 30 and will break down soon thereafter, remember that Verlander (35) Morton (34), Scherzer (33), Kluber (32) and the major league leader in K's Chris Sale turns 30 this year. There are a handful of other pitchers that are putting up ace type numbers in their 30's as well. 

I think the smarter choice is to sign a FA SP in the offseason. This team needs offense

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Our farm system was weak because we lost our draft picks on Pujols, Hamilton, and Wilson.

You act like we have a say in what the Angels actually will do, we don't.

No shit Einstein. It’s a discussion forum.

2 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

It's good to have top prospects, but prospects are no guarantee of ML success IE: Cowart was a top prospect at one time. Prospects are also currency to purchase proven talent as well. How much did the Astros give up for Verlander last season? I think deGrom is the same kind of talent, with the same amount of control left before becoming a FA. I can't think of a better pitcher to spend prospects on. 

Detroit was entering a rebuild and were looking to unload Verlander’s contract. The Mets have no reason to trade DeGrom  unless they are overwhelmed by an offer.  Other teams can offer way more than the Angels. What happens after 2019 when Degrom could walk after 2020. At that point you are in a position to have to trade him if he doesn’t agree to an extension. I think he would be a great pickup but only if you could extend him for 3-4 years.

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

This would obviously be for 2019-2020 and beyond, but with Richards' most likely done for the year and possibly next season, Ohtani's status uncertain, it would be nice to have a guy to lead the rotation ahead of Skaggs, Heaney, Barria and perhaps a FA pitcher next year, to go along with Tropeano, Shoemaker (if he's back), Suarez perhaps, Felix Pena, etc. 

Do you think Canning, Marsh and Jones get it done? Three top 100 prospects for the ace. 

Thoughts?

I'd rather put another arm other than Canning if a package like that....

A rotation of deGrom, Canning, Skaggs, Heaney and Barria would be tremendous. 

44 minutes ago, failos said:

How did you feel about the Greinke trade, Iannetta trade, Haren trade?

just because one trade turned out well doesn’t mean this one will.

Greinke was fine but he was a rental, deGrom has 2 more years. Haren had 2 good and average year for us.

Just because deGrom is 30 doesn't mean anything Verlander is 35, Nolan pitched into his mid 40s. Everyone ages differently.

Edited by Ace-Of-Diamonds

1 minute ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Greinke was fine but he was a rental, deGrom has 2 more years. Haren dad 2 good and average year for us.

Just because deGrom is 30 doesn't mean anything Verlander is 35, Nolan pitched into his mid 40s. Everyone ages differently.

How dare you forget to mention the great, 45-year-old Bartolo Colon. 

2 minutes ago, dprep80 said:

Both Pena and Deck are relievers though.  Wheeler can at least regularly eat 6 IP each time until his arm inevitably falls off.

And lose. Who cares how many innings he throws if we lose. Pena is being stretched out same with Deck. At one time Richards was a relief pitcher.

Edited by Ace-Of-Diamonds

3 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

It's good to have top prospects, but prospects are no guarantee of ML success IE: Cowart was a top prospect at one time. Prospects are also currency to purchase proven talent as well. How much did the Astros give up for Verlander last season? I think deGrom is the same kind of talent, with the same amount of control left before becoming a FA. I can't think of a better pitcher to spend prospects on. 

trust me, i am usually in the same camp.  But right now, i just dont see the benefit of it unless they plan to spend elsewhere.  

35 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Greinke was fine but he was a rental, deGrom has 2 more years. Haren had 2 good and average year for us.

Just because Verlander and Nolan (freaks of nature btw) are good doesn't mean deGrom will be good in his 30s. 

Trading top prospects and relying on free agents is the very reason this team has been perpetually mediocre. 

Be smart with the prospects, just don't hoard them like Stoneman, and don't trade them all like Dip*ssy.

Establish a core of prospects that you will rely on here along with the important established players.   Then, fill in via strategic trade or strategic FA signing.   No more panic acquisitions like Mr. Pop-Up Wells, GMJHGH, or Hackilton!

It's worked for the Cardinals, Giants, and even the Skanks in the 1990s and Red Sux recently. 

5 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Be smart with the prospects, just don't hoard them like Stoneman, and don't trade them all like Dip*ssy.

Establish a core of prospects that you will rely on here along with the important established players.   Then, fill in via strategic trade or strategic FA signing.   No more panic acquisitions like Mr. Pop-Up Wells, GMJHGH, or Hackilton!

It's worked for the Cardinals, Giants, and even the Skanks in the 1990s and Red Sux recently. 

worked for the astros and the royals too.

How about Chris Archer? Wouldn't cost as much in prospects, a year younger than deGrom, has 1 year (plus 2 team options) left after this season, and only due 27.6M over those 3 years of control. 

He would benefit playing behind our defense and getting out of the AL East