• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Would you make a move for deGrom?

Chuck

3 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

deGrom still has 2 more years before FA or else I wouldn't do it. This year isn't worth going all in.

i understand, but we are not a DeGrom away from contention.  I would do it if we were, or if i believe the front office would fill the rest of the holes, but i dont see that happening.   If we give up the check of guys it would take to get him, we will have virtually nothing left to address the other issues and i dont think we will simply spend to fix them. 

I still feel like we would be far better served avoiding high priced SPs, I've never been a huge fan of them.  When they falter you feel it so much more than almost any other position on the field.  Look at how people talk about Kershaw for not winning the Dogs a WS, would anyone question his pedigree aside from that?   For what DeGrom would cost we could nearly fix the entire bullpen.  I would rather invest in the bullpen and have a group of guys like we have in the rotation, thats always been my preference.   DeGrom alone doesnt fix this team, he would be the last move i made in that process, not the first. 

I dont hate the idea, i just dont see its merits in the face of the other remaining issues. 

4 hours ago, Torridd said:

I know you're an advanced member, but I get tired of reading this. There's no indication that it's true. There are 30 MLB teams and winning in the playoffs is not a "regular" thing for most of those teams. The Angels, although unlucky the last several years, have just as good a shot to make the playoffs.

There actually is indication of this. He has gone on record many of times stating all he cares about is going to the playoffs and winning. So our teams performance and immediate future possibility of making deep runs are directly tied to resigning Trout. And a bunch of prospects who are likely many years away from contributing (If they even pan out) does not help in winning now and in the immediate future. 

1 hour ago, floplag said:

i understand, but we are not a DeGrom away from contention.  I would do it if we were, or if i believe the front office would fill the rest of the holes, but i dont see that happening.   If we give up the check of guys it would take to get him, we will have virtually nothing left to address the other issues and i dont think we will simply spend to fix them. 

I still feel like we would be far better served avoiding high priced SPs, I've never been a huge fan of them.  When they falter you feel it so much more than almost any other position on the field.  Look at how people talk about Kershaw for not winning the Dogs a WS, would anyone question his pedigree aside from that?   For what DeGrom would cost we could nearly fix the entire bullpen.  I would rather invest in the bullpen and have a group of guys like we have in the rotation, thats always been my preference.   DeGrom alone doesnt fix this team, he would be the last move i made in that process, not the first. 

I dont hate the idea, i just dont see its merits in the face of the other remaining issues. 

deGrom would make a huge difference in our chances to make the playoffs in 2019 - 2020. The bullpen can be fixed more easily than finding a true Ace starter. There are going to be offensive FA galore this winter and we have IF prospects ready to take over in 2019. Ward at 3B across AA/AA this season is slashing  .366/.458/.571/1.030 - 12 HR - 49 RBI - 16 SB. We have seen what Fletcher can do.

Now that Richards is gone and is worthless as a trade option we need SP. I'm so tired of getting inning eaters that pitch 7 innings in a losing cause with their high ERAs. IE: Jesse Chavez, Ricky Nolasco. It would be so nice to have a rotation of deGrom, Skaggs, Heaney, as the top 3 with Tropeano, Barria, Shoemaker. Meyer, and J C Ramirez competing for the final 2/3 spots and bullpen positions. We can fill any position players holes with prospects and/or FA in the offseason.

2 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

deGrom would make a huge difference in our chances to make the playoffs in 2019 - 2020. The bullpen can be fixed more easily than finding a true Ace starter. There are going to be offensive FA galore this winter and we have IF prospects ready to take over in 2019. Ward at 3B across AA/AA this season is slashing  .366/.458/.571/1.030 - 12 HR - 49 RBI - 16 SB. We have seen what Fletcher can do.

Now that Richards is gone and is worthless as a trade option we need SP. I'm so tired of getting inning eaters that pitch 7 innings in a losing cause with their high ERAs. IE: Jesse Chavez, Ricky Nolasco. It would be so nice to have a rotation of deGrom, Skaggs, Heaney, as the top 3 with Tropeano, Barria, Shoemaker. Meyer, and J C Ramirez competing for the final 2/3 spots and bullpen positions. We can fill any position players holes with prospects and/or FA in the offseason.

Youre assuming they are willing to spend to fix the other pieces, we have no indication of this. 
If that changes, fine, till then.... 

On 7/12/2018 at 11:29 AM, arch stanton said:

Then he'll be even more depressing on our 60 day DL list. At this point I think it's better to load up on low cost arms and let them duke it out

Maybe that's the problem. We've been letting them duke it out. Organizational fail.

5 hours ago, floplag said:

and Sale was the last piece of that puzzle, DeGrom would not be for us. 

Does it matter what ORDER the Angels address their problems?

No.

And since no single transaction is going to solve every problem the Angels have, it would be smart to make any move that solves any problem.

In my opinion, the Angels have a glaring weakness at the top of the rotation.

If they see a an opportunity to get an ace without trading Adell (and without "gutting" the rest of the farm), I would do it.

You don't pass on solving a problem because it doesn't solve every problem.

4 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Does it matter what ORDER the Angels address their problems?

No.

And since no single transaction is going to solve every problem the Angels have, it would be smart to make any move that solves any problem.

In my opinion, the Angels have a glaring weakness at the top of the rotation.

If they see a an opportunity to get an ace without trading Adell (and without "gutting" the rest of the farm), I would do it.

You don't pass on solving a problem because it doesn't solve every problem.

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Does it really matter the order in which you acquire the pieces?  

Yes, it does.  You dont spend all your chips and limit your options on the first move.  
You get him now, your taking on money AND losing prospects to try to compete when exactly?  Unless you can answer that question we do not need an "ace".    

5 minutes ago, floplag said:

Yes, it does.  You dont spend all your chips and limit your options on the first move.  
You get him now, your taking on money AND losing prospects to try to compete when exactly?  Unless you can answer that question we do not need an "ace".    

Well an Ace is always something you search for.   So if you need an Ace to be a playoff caliber team it doesn’t matter which order you acquire the guys in my opinion.  

12 hours ago, Stradling said:

Well an Ace is always something you search for.   So if you need an Ace to be a playoff caliber team it doesn’t matter which order you acquire the guys in my opinion.  

if you plan to build the complete set, fine, i agree... but an ace without the rest is meaningless to me. 
If we had DeGrom or almost literally any other true ace in the game from the start of this season were still not in the race. 
My goal is playoff baseball, the rest is just window dressing.  

Bowden (I think) just floated a Heaney+Adell for deGrom proposal in an article for the Athletic.

If it was just for those two I'd have to consider it. Would rather sub out a couple prospects for Adell but that probably doesn't get it done. 

6 hours ago, totdprods said:

Bowden (I think) just floated a Heaney+Adell for deGrom proposal in an article for the Athletic.

If it was just for those two I'd have to consider it. Would rather sub out a couple prospects for Adell but that probably doesn't get it done. 

Heaney and Adell are going nowhere. Writers just can’t help themselves after having a bowl.

bong GIF