• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Would you make a move for deGrom?

Chuck

Just now, vladdy#27 said:

How about Chris Archer? Wouldn't cost as much in prospects, a year younger than deGrom, has 1 year (plus 2 team options) left after this season, and only due 27.6M over those 3 years of control. 

With the way the Rays have been dumping money, I'd go so far as to try and take Archer and Kiermaier and all of their committed salary and see if something reasonable could be struck. 

4 hours ago, failos said:

Just because Verlander and Nolan (freaks of nature btw) are good doesn't mean deGrom will be good in his 30s. 

Trading top prospects and relying on free agents is the very reason this team has been perpetually mediocre. 

The Angels don't have time to wait for the farm system to produce a championship, if they plan to extend Trout. Time is running out to keep Trout for his entire career.

To me, trading for a deGrom type is adding the last piece of the puzzle.  

So I need to see some other stuff first

1.  We need to play better baseball this year and do so with some of our untested/young guys.  I want to see Thaiss, Ward, more Fletcher, more JMF, maybe Rengifo, maybe Canning, maybe Suarez.  

2.  I want to know what they're gonna do with Ohtani

3.  I want to see more of Robles, Cole, Anderson, McGuire and Drake out of the pen.  

4.  I need to see Skaggs, Heaney, Barria, Trop, Pena finish the season in the rotation.  Would be a nice boost to get Shoe back and find him some innings.  

then the off season:

5.  We need a catcher.  Not sold on bringing back Maldonado but I would be terrible upset if we did.  Prefer Grandal.  

6.  What are we doing at 2b/3b?  I don't think we can add two rookies to the infield.  Let's be clear btw.  We aren't signing Machado.  1yr deal for Donaldson with an option?  

After I know all those things, then I can tell you whether we should trade for an ace in the offseason.  There is a very high probability the answer will be no because I will then want to see what happens in he first half of the season before making that commitment.  Not just with us.  Does Houston still look like a 100 win team?  Does Oakland make some additions?  Where did seattle end up and what did they do?  

In all likelihood, this is a 2019 deadline decision and I'm not totally sold that deGrom is that guy.  I don't like age 30 guys you have to pay out the nose for in prospects.  

13 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

This would obviously be for 2019-2020 and beyond, but with Richards' most likely done for the year and possibly next season, Ohtani's status uncertain, it would be nice to have a guy to lead the rotation ahead of Skaggs, Heaney, Barria and perhaps a FA pitcher next year, to go along with Tropeano, Shoemaker (if he's back), Suarez perhaps, Felix Pena, etc. 

Do you think Canning, Marsh and Jones get it done? Three top 100 prospects for the ace. 

Thoughts?

If that is all it would take to get DeGrom, I would do it without hesitation. 

At that price, I do it immediately. Agreed that I'd swap Canning for Suarez, but would need to see what that meant for the other two pieces (i.e. does Thaiss have to become Ward or worse, does Jones have to become Adell?). 

One of the benefits of having a real farm system is you can trade from it. I don't think this cleans the cupboards bare like it would've in previous seasons. Adell must be excluded, for me to approve it, though. Unless it's literally DeGrom for Adell straight up, which ain't gonna happen. 

11 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

If they expect to re-sign Trout they need to go all in next off season or else Trout will be going into the HOF for an east coast team.

I know you're an advanced member, but I get tired of reading this. There's no indication that it's true. There are 30 MLB teams and winning in the playoffs is not a "regular" thing for most of those teams. The Angels, although unlucky the last several years, have just as good a shot to make the playoffs.

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

To me, trading for a deGrom type is adding the last piece of the puzzle.  

So I need to see some other stuff first

1.  We need to play better baseball this year and do so with some of our untested/young guys.  I want to see Thaiss, Ward, more Fletcher, more JMF, maybe Rengifo, maybe Canning, maybe Suarez.  

2.  I want to know what they're gonna do with Ohtani

3.  I want to see more of Robles, Cole, Anderson, McGuire and Drake out of the pen.  

4.  I need to see Skaggs, Heaney, Barria, Trop, Pena finish the season in the rotation.  Would be a nice boost to get Shoe back and find him some innings.  

then the off season:

5.  We need a catcher.  Not sold on bringing back Maldonado but I would be terrible upset if we did.  Prefer Grandal.  

6.  What are we doing at 2b/3b?  I don't think we can add two rookies to the infield.  Let's be clear btw.  We aren't signing Machado.  1yr deal for Donaldson with an option?  

After I know all those things, then I can tell you whether we should trade for an ace in the offseason.  There is a very high probability the answer will be no because I will then want to see what happens in he first half of the season before making that commitment.  Not just with us.  Does Houston still look like a 100 win team?  Does Oakland make some additions?  Where did seattle end up and what did they do?  

In all likelihood, this is a 2019 deadline decision and I'm not totally sold that deGrom is that guy.  I don't like age 30 guys you have to pay out the nose for in prospects.  

But if we wait for all that, deGrom could be gone.

21 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Do you think Canning, Marsh and Jones get it done? Three top 100 prospects for the ace. 

Anyone ever spend that much prospect worth for a pitcher? I wouldn't.

4 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

It might be close to what the Red Sox gave up for Sale but they were ready to compete for a WS. I don't think we're quite that ready yet

But we're not scrubs either. deGrom can help this team a lot. There aren't any guarantees with the young guns. With the frailty of our starters, I really think we have to look outside our organization. Since we can't afford everything through free agency, if we can trade for someone like him, we should. 

4 minutes ago, Torridd said:

But we're not scrubs either. deGrom can help this team a lot. There aren't any guarantees with the young guns. With the frailty of our starters, I really think we have to look outside our organization. Since we can't afford everything through free agency, if we can trade for someone like him, we should. 

If we were competing for the division I might agree. At this ploint he doesn't move the needle enough to hand over that much

10 minutes ago, Torridd said:

I see it as we need him as an investment to the future. Our starters may not be able to hold up so we need a "sure thing" in the rotation. If we keep Canning et al. it may take a while until he makes a difference.

It's pitching. There is no such thing as a sure thing. 

The Angels franchise isn't going to end in 2021. I promise. I don't know how old you are, but I'm guessing you'll probably be around for 2021. You have awhile.

13 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

If they expect to re-sign Trout they need to go all in next off season or else Trout will be going into the HOF for an east coast team.

As I have said many times in many threads, i agree.  BUT, im not sure this achieves that to do it now.  There is no real benefit to dumping 2-3 top prospects for half a season.
The only way to fix this team, and make it a contender, within that window, is to spend on FA.  WE dont have enough top prospects to do it any other way.  

Flop, how many free agents do you think we can afford? In a perfect world, we need at least one starter, I'd say, a second baseman, 1-2 relievers, and perhaps, an outfielder to replace Calhoun. I don't think we can afford that many and that's why I think getting deGrom through a trade would be best.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Anyone ever spend that much prospect worth for a pitcher? I wouldn't.

nor would I.  

the Sale comp doesn't work.  he was entering his 28 season with 3 years of control left and it took Moncada (top 5), Kopech (probably a top 50 guy at the time), and a couple of unranked throw ins.  

Shelby Miller comes to mind when we are talking massive overpays.  Kind of a 2/3 with some upside to be a 1 and lots of club control at arb rates (4yrs).  Gave up Inciarte and Swanson as well as Aaron Blair who was a top 50 at the time.  

but the funny thing is, those both looked like considerable hauls and none of those guys have elevated to start level.  Personally, I think BOS knew Moncada wasn't going to be what everyone else thought.  

But I think the Mets have specific players they'd want from any particular club.  I also think they'll want guys who are ready.   

but if they are dealing with us, you can bet that Adell would be a must have.  

2 hours ago, arch stanton said:

It might be close to what the Red Sox gave up for Sale but they were ready to compete for a WS. I don't think we're quite that ready yet

The Red Sox gave up the #1 prospect in baseball at the time in Moncada and a couple other top guys for Chris Sale. 

2 hours ago, floplag said:

As I have said many times in many threads, i agree.  BUT, im not sure this achieves that to do it now.  There is no real benefit to dumping 2-3 top prospects for half a season.
The only way to fix this team, and make it a contender, within that window, is to spend on FA.  WE dont have enough top prospects to do it any other way.  

deGrom still has 2 more years before FA or else I wouldn't do it. This year isn't worth going all in.