• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Would you make a move for deGrom?

Chuck

Keep on stockpiling the pitchers via the draft and int'l scouting, and focus on acquiring a true closer and a solid hitter who are both club controlled.

Castellanos is a great target.   The only downside is he's only club controlled through 2019.

Hand is club controlled through 2020. 

I'd be down. Hard to compete without someone of his caliber and no other easy paths to acquiring or developing anyone similar.

That said, I'm growing more skeptical on Eppler's ability to find offensive production so to trade away minor league bats worries me - and while I don't think he can produce a deGrom out of a McGuire, if he can actually round out a rotation of solid starters we have a chance.

I still think there are other opportunities to add potentially high-quality starters without spending a fortune, such as Jose Urena, buying low on Sanchez or Stroman, pursuing Archer and even Kiermaier in a pseudo salary dump, or offering that same 'can't refuse' packages for other dynamic young arms - Giolito, Perdomo, even Snell, or Manaea, or Taillon, perhaps with a few permutations.

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Our farm system was weak because we lost our draft picks on Pujols, Hamilton, and Wilson.

You act like we have a say in what the Angels actually will do, we don't.

Also because we had 3 early picks in 2010 and all failed miserably.  The Angels drafted poorly for years after that as well.  In addition to almost complete withdrawal from international acquisition.  We’re going to keep feeling that for a few more years. 

Back to DeGrom, I’d obviously be fu*cking pumped if we got him.  Just feel we have more practical targets to go after. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

I don’t really get why the Mets would settle on a trade with him.  I doubt they’re in a huge hurry to deal him.  Why would they not take Adell and Canning and Marsh ? Not really an unreasonable ask. 

Anyway it’s not going to happen. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 minute ago, laagamer said:

He's a 30 year old power pitcher who's shown to still have some injury problems. 

Despite what people in this thread have said, he's not young. 

Why over-pay for a piticher that's going to decline soon?

Is he really 30? Damn

<30 seconds later>

oh shit he is.  This thread should be about Snydergaard. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

48 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Our farm system was weak because we lost our draft picks on Pujols, Hamilton, and Wilson.

You act like we have a say in what the Angels actually will do, we don't.

That was only a small part of it.   +1 to what UnderTheHalo said, although it was 2010 where they screwed up having FIVE of the top FORTY overall picks, with only BedRock Jr. and maybe Cowart emerged as MLB players.

What was that, three lost picks due to Pujols, Hackilton, and Nibs?   The big thing was Reagins and Dip*ssy emptying the farm and drafting mainly high floor/low ceiling guys, plus Clay Daniels the scum destroying the foreign base for several years.  

7 minutes ago, failos said:

I’d rather wait for Canning. It’s not like Degrom is going to magically make this team a contender. 

Not if you want to win in the next two Trout years. 

Noah Syndergaard would be great too, but deGrom has been proven to stay healthier of the two. 

Those saying deGrom is too old at 30 and will break down soon thereafter, remember that Verlander (35) Morton (34), Scherzer (33), Kluber (32) and the major league leader in K's Chris Sale turns 30 this year. There are a handful of other pitchers that are putting up ace type numbers in their 30's as well. 

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Not if you want to win in the next two Trout years. 

Noah Syndergaard would be great too, but deGrom has been proven to stay healthier of the two. 

Those saying deGrom is too old at 30 and will break down soon thereafter, remember that Verlander (35) Morton (34), Scherzer (33), Kluber (32) and the major league leader in K's Chris Sale turns 30 this year. There are a handful of other pitchers that are putting up ace type numbers in their 30's as well. 

Yes. There are a ton of guys who didn't break down at 30. But there are more guys who did. 

Running a team around the window of one guy is foolish. It's why Cleveland could never build a good team around Lebron. We just spent 3 years not signing big name FAs because we were trying to dig ourselves out of the hole we got into trying to win in the Pujols window when we should have been playing for the Trout window instead. Maybe instead of trying to win one for Trout we should be trying to win one for Adell. If Trout sticks around then all the better. But by continually trying to push everything in to win in 2-3 years just keeps the team around .500 unless you have the resources of the Dodgers, Yankees, or Red Sox.