• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Roe v. Wade and the new SC Justice

16 minutes ago, RallyMo said:

He certainly could be confirmed despite lying under oath. It's very likely to happen.

There are two possible scenarios here, one which I find nearly impossible to believe:

1) He really didn't know what he was looking at despite context clues provided within the documents and conversations he actually had with others about them.

If this is the case, then he's certainly not sharp enough to serve on the freaking SCOTUS. I don't care which way you lean, if you're going to be a Supreme Court judge you had better be smarter than the average bear.

The thing is, it can't be the case. This guy is EXTREMELY smart. Judges who deal with the volumes of material that guys like him do have minds that are freaking steel traps and are capable of very complicated reasoning.

orrrr...

2) He lied under oath about the documents he received.

So: this guy lied under oath, and he's going to be on the SCOTUS soon enough.

I mean, he received an e-mail with the subject line "Spying" and said the phrase "we have a mole". and he was getting all this inside information on the dems.    

2 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

I'm pretty certain we will see a "party line" vote.  

I'm guessing two or three Dems too.

53-54 votes.

Sotomayor got 68 votes, Kagan 63, Breyer 87, and Ginzburg 96. These are arguably the most liberal justices on the Court. 

As far as conservative-leaning judges go, Clarence Thomas got 52 votes (after a very contentious hearing involving allegations of sexual harassment), Roberts 78, Alito 58, and Gorsuch 54.

Scalia, possibly the most conservative justice in decades, was confirmed with a 98-0 vote.

But Kavanaugh is the gravest threat to democracy ever to come down the pike, so it will be very close.

Edited by fan_since79

2 hours ago, RallyMo said:

I have no idea. Even so, that's irrelevant.

Not really. If it classified information he can't even aknowledge receiving them in a public forum. So it might have been a stunt just to play the gotcha card afterwards. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Not really. If it classified information he can't even aknowledge receiving them in a public forum. So it might have been a stunt just to play the gotcha card afterwards. 

He received the information after they were stolen. He lied about it under oath. He wasn't bound by some sort of privilege though which he either heard about the contents or obtained copies of the memo. He flat out denied both having received or even knowing about the information in the memo, which he had no legitimate reason to have access to. This isn't about violating clearance.

He lied under oath. I'm sure that you have had issues with political figures that have lied under oath before, no?

2 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

I'm guessing two or three Dems too.

53-54 votes.

Sotomayor got 68 votes, Kagan 63, Breyer 87, and Ginzburg 96. These are arguably the most liberal justices on the Court. 

As far as conservative-leaning judges go, Clarence Thomas got 52 votes (after a very contentious hearing involving allegations of sexual harassment), Roberts 78, Alito 58, and Gorsuch 54.

Scalia, possibly the most conservative justice in decades, was confirmed with a 98-0 vote.

But Kavanaugh is the gravest threat to democracy ever to come down the pike, so it will be very close.

Well, he did lie under oath. How did you feel about highly intelligent political figures that lied under oath twenty years ago?

4 hours ago, Blarg said:

We're the emails declassified before he was questioned? 

The e-mails were approved for public release Wednesday morning. But his lie was in 2006 during his confirmation hearing. It's only now that the emails have been released that there is proof that he lied under oath. 

6 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

How did you feel?

I felt like Clinton was being railroaded, but I also realized that he lied about having an affair under oath. It's not cool to lie under oath.

Presently we're dealing with a situation where a man is up for a lifetime appointment to the highest court in the land. He lied about receiving illegally obtained documents under oath. That's a pretty big deal.

22 hours ago, Tank said:

what did kavanaugh like about? haven't heard this story yet.

Here is a good breakdown of what happened.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/the-ghosts-of-memogate-are-haunting-brett-kavanaugh-720152/

But I'll try to summarize a bit for you.

In the early 2000 a GOP senate aid named Manual Miranda used a glitch on a shared server to gain access to thousands of confidential Democrat files.  Plain and simple, he stole them.  At the time Kavanaugh was working for the Bush administration.  

In 2003 Bush nominated Kavanaugh to be a US Circuit judge.  He had to go through two senate hearings before being confirmed.  Once in 2004 and again 2006.  Both times he was asked specifically about the documents stolen by Miranda.

Kavanaugh claimed he has never even seen the memos.  Well, now we know from the emails that not only did he receive the memos from Miranda, he also forwarded them to other people.

So in short.  He received stolen cyber material (a crime), he forwarded stolen cyber material (also a crime), and then lied under oath not once, but twice. (felonies)