• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

Yesterday at around 1:30 PM I cut out of work and jumped in my car to journey down to San Diego. I have been looking forward to this trip for months and was geeked out as I began the drive. I put on some tunes to enjoy the ride when the freeway came to a stop in Long Beach. Just a little bit of traffic due to the construction through Los Al on the 405, no big deal I had plenty of time since the event wasn't taking place till 5:30. As expected. the freeway opened up and I jumped on it wanting to make up for some lost time. As I hit San Onofre we came to a complete stop. The time 2:30. For the next two and a half hours it was nothing but stop and go traffic all the way to San Diego. A two hour trip became a three and a half hour trip, just ridiculous. However, I pulled in to Balboa Park at 5:00 PM, still have 30 minutes to spare at least. 

I walk in to the San DIego History Center right as they were closing to the public to get ready for the History Happy Hour. I am told to go wait outside and that they will be opening the doors at 5:30. I could us a little walk anyway and Balboa is beautiful so no big deal. As I exit the museum a gentleman asks me to hold up and that he can use some help setting up. I gladly accepted but didn't want to act like a normal beer geek so I acted like it was no big deal that this was Pat Mcllhenney, owner of Alpine. We start chatting it up as I help carry in the BBQ and beer he had brought along for the event. His son and I hooked up the kegs and began to taste test the beers to make sure they are all fine, the duet and nelson took 3 or 4 glasses to ensure quality for the beer geeks and history nerds that are about to come in. 

It was a great evening as I was meeting quite a few people from the beer culture down here. At 7 pm they start the screening of Suds County, USA. This is a pretty cool documentary about the history of breweries in SD. I highly recommend it, sudscountyusa.com. Anyway, as I walk out of the screening I go over to thank Pat and his family for a great evening. We are talking and others are winding down. A couple guys come over and I notice that they are all guys who are in the video, Vince from Pizza Port and Tomme the head brewer there. I chat them up for a few and figure that I need to go check into my hotel pretty soon. Pat asks if I want to help shut down and he highly recommends that I stay. He didn't have to pull my arm to stay. As the doors were locked there was about ten of us left. I quickly realize that outside of myself and one Alpine employee, I am at a Quaff event. Growlers quickly hit the table and we all huddle around and begin tasting these home brews from these brewing masters. If you don't know Quaff, you need to. It was just amazing to try all of their experimental beers and the night made it seem like the terrible drive down here was days ago. 

Now off to Alpine to enjoy some more beer and take him up on my free growler. Then its off to Societe, White Labs, Hess, Helms and possibly Rip Current, Alesmith or Rough Draft. It is going to be a fun day and hopefully top tomorrow. I plan on having 3 or 4 growlers in the cooler by nights end. Bottle share anyone? The one thing last night did was entice me to try and home brew and reiterate how great the craft beer industry is. 

Great story. I am actually quite interested in the history of the craft scene in San Diego. I have googled it before and not found much. I'll look into that doc.

Had a semi-similar experience last night. My friends had a food dinner put on by the Bruery at their club. The food was outstanding and the beers really paired nicely with them. I'm not usually one who thinks that pairings enhance either element. The beers were nothing rare except I hadn't had the Ebony and Oak before. It was delicious. My friend brought a bottle of Black Tuesday. That was heaven.

Patrick Rue was there to talk about the beers and hung out for a while after. He couldn't have been nicer. The CFO, Carl, hung out with my friends and I until the place closed and even offered to get us a bourbon barrel for our home brewing. Craft brewers are the best!

Today's pickup:

Bootleggers - Lupulin Thrill

Bootleggers - Knuckle Sandwich

Beachwood Brewing - Thrillseeker

Sixpoint Craft Ales - Resin

Hoping to see some of those rarities on tap at the Bootleg Theatre mid Sept, when Butch Walker is playing there.

Yesterday at around 1:30 PM I cut out of work and jumped in my car to journey down to San Diego. I have been looking forward to this trip for months and was geeked out as I began the drive. I put on some tunes to enjoy the ride when the freeway came to a stop in Long Beach. Just a little bit of traffic due to the construction through Los Al on the 405, no big deal I had plenty of time since the event wasn't taking place till 5:30. As expected. the freeway opened up and I jumped on it wanting to make up for some lost time. As I hit San Onofre we came to a complete stop. The time 2:30. For the next two and a half hours it was nothing but stop and go traffic all the way to San Diego. A two hour trip became a three and a half hour trip, just ridiculous. However, I pulled in to Balboa Park at 5:00 PM, still have 30 minutes to spare at least. 

I walk in to the San DIego History Center right as they were closing to the public to get ready for the History Happy Hour. I am told to go wait outside and that they will be opening the doors at 5:30. I could us a little walk anyway and Balboa is beautiful so no big deal. As I exit the museum a gentleman asks me to hold up and that he can use some help setting up. I gladly accepted but didn't want to act like a normal beer geek so I acted like it was no big deal that this was Pat Mcllhenney, owner of Alpine. We start chatting it up as I help carry in the BBQ and beer he had brought along for the event. His son and I hooked up the kegs and began to taste test the beers to make sure they are all fine, the duet and nelson took 3 or 4 glasses to ensure quality for the beer geeks and history nerds that are about to come in. 

It was a great evening as I was meeting quite a few people from the beer culture down here. At 7 pm they start the screening of Suds County, USA. This is a pretty cool documentary about the history of breweries in SD. I highly recommend it, sudscountyusa.com. Anyway, as I walk out of the screening I go over to thank Pat and his family for a great evening. We are talking and others are winding down. A couple guys come over and I notice that they are all guys who are in the video, Vince from Pizza Port and Tomme the head brewer there. I chat them up for a few and figure that I need to go check into my hotel pretty soon. Pat asks if I want to help shut down and he highly recommends that I stay. He didn't have to pull my arm to stay. As the doors were locked there was about ten of us left. I quickly realize that outside of myself and one Alpine employee, I am at a Quaff event. Growlers quickly hit the table and we all huddle around and begin tasting these home brews from these brewing masters. If you don't know Quaff, you need to. It was just amazing to try all of their experimental beers and the night made it seem like the terrible drive down here was days ago. 

Now off to Alpine to enjoy some more beer and take him up on my free growler. Then its off to Societe, White Labs, Hess, Helms and possibly Rip Current, Alesmith or Rough Draft. It is going to be a fun day and hopefully top tomorrow. I plan on having 3 or 4 growlers in the cooler by nights end. Bottle share anyone? The one thing last night did was entice me to try and home brew and reiterate how great the craft beer industry is. 

How awesome, I love when something unexpected like that happens!  Craft beer people really ARE the best people!

I have far too much beer at home right now. It was a great weekend and I was able to meet some great people. Met a group of guys at Alpine wearing Four Peaks shirts, turns out one of them is a brewer there. Looking forward to Spring Training already and getting together for a bottle share while out there. I rocked my Dudes Brewery shirt which lead to many conversations about the brewery and the growth of the South Bay scene mirroring the rise of craft beer in SD County just a few years back. One can only hope LA can come close to that, thanks to Chris White it could happen. Met the Maltese Falcons beer club, out of LA, and exchanged numbers with a few guys for upcoming bottle shares. Pretty awesome that in 24 hours i meet these guys and members of Quaff, they are just the two best home brewery clubs in the nation.

Only downer of the day was when I was driving by Miramar and made a rather aggressive right turn due to not paying attention. The backend of the Corolla got a bit lose but nothing I couldnt handle even if this is the mighty S model. Of course sitting across the street was military police and yep I got lit up. The guy walks up and asks why did I turn so fast that I lost a little traction, like there is a good answer for this? He walks away to run things as a guy in full camo is at the back of the passenger side gripping his gun. Seemed a bit of overkill but whatever, you never know when something may happen. Luckily, just a warning and I was on my way to continue the day.

Ended up going to Alpine, Helms, Societe, Hess, Rough Draft and Stone (since they stay open much later), I really like Hess and they have a new location in North Park opening August 9th.   

I have far too much beer at home right now. It was a great weekend and I was able to meet some great people. Met a group of guys at Alpine wearing Four Peaks shirts, turns out one of them is a brewer there. Looking forward to Spring Training already and getting together for a bottle share while out there. I rocked my Dudes Brewery shirt which lead to many conversations about the brewery and the growth of the South Bay scene mirroring the rise of craft beer in SD County just a few years back. One can only hope LA can come close to that, thanks to Chris White it could happen. Met the Maltese Falcons beer club, out of LA, and exchanged numbers with a few guys for upcoming bottle shares. Pretty awesome that in 24 hours i meet these guys and members of Quaff, they are just the two best home brewery clubs in the nation.

Only downer of the day was when I was driving by Miramar and made a rather aggressive right turn due to not paying attention. The backend of the Corolla got a bit lose but nothing I couldnt handle even if this is the mighty S model. Of course sitting across the street was military police and yep I got lit up. The guy walks up and asks why did I turn so fast that I lost a little traction, like there is a good answer for this? He walks away to run things as a guy in full camo is at the back of the passenger side gripping his gun. Seemed a bit of overkill but whatever, you never know when something may happen. Luckily, just a warning and I was on my way to continue the day.

Ended up going to Alpine, Helms, Societe, Hess, Rough Draft and Stone (since they stay open much later), I really like Hess and they have a new location in North Park opening August 9th.   

Don't get lost with a flat tire at 2am again.

There was a bottle share at Toronado Saturday night, you should have gone.

Someone told me this at some point during the day and I was considering it but I had enough by that point. 

Upland is having a craft beer event. It just further proves that the area became cool once you left. 

http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/340777

I have dealt with cops twice in the last few years. Both times were military police in SD. Both times they were cool guys. 

Have a nice Lunch break planned; Checking out the Coconut IPA and picking up a few bottles and a fill if it's good. I don't see why it would be bad if it won the Stone Hombrewers competition.

I want to try it but I have far too much already to drink. If you were closer a bottle share would be in order. 

Someone told me this at some point during the day and I was considering it but I had enough by that point. 

Upland is having a craft beer event. It just further proves that the area became cool once you left. 

http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/340777

I have dealt with cops twice in the last few years. Both times were military police in SD. Both times they were cool guys. 

Shoot. $25 and my parents can drive.

For the OC peeps that have yet to try Aroma Coma and/or Aroma Prieta. Drakes Tap Takeover tomorrow going down at The Iron Press. 

http://theironpress.wordpress.com/2013/07/19/tuesday-tap-takeovers-the-drakes-brewing-edition/

Nice, thanks for sharing, love their beers.  I wanted to go to their event at Mohawk Bend couple weeks ago and couldn't make it.

Nice, thanks for sharing, love their beers.  I wanted to go to their event at Mohawk Bend couple weeks ago and couldn't make it.

The Mohawk event was awesome. Totally different taste with the mix of hops and being on cask. I have run across Coma quite a bit and have a bunch in the fridge but the Prieta is tough to find. 

The Mohawk event was awesome. Totally different taste with the mix of hops and being on cask. I have run across Coma quite a bit and have a bunch in the fridge but the Prieta is tough to find. 

Yeah, I was bummed to miss it but now...found out about another event tomorrow which if my bf doesn't have to work I'll be heading to down in San Diego.... http://bottlecraft.myshopify.com/pages/education-events

I probably shouldn't be posting this because I want this so badly but Alesmith's barrel aged Speedway Stout and Vietnamese Coffee Speedway Stout are going on sale August 5th. You have to pick up at the brewery between August 10th and the end of October. Release party on the 10th of August.

I'm going down to SD for the weekend to hit up a lot of breweries and the races. I think I might go to that.

Enough people know about it already, a few more on here wont hurt anything. It sells out in about 10 minutes every year anyways. First time they're bottling the Coffee Speedway too.

They're going to have lots of good speedway taps, cask and on nitro for the party. I might go too.

August is going to be expensive!! Duck Duck Gooze and now BA Speedway & Coffee Speedway. On top of getting some nice Bruery beers from a buddy. Chocolate Rain, Bottleworks XII, Mash, Mash and Grind, and Ebony & Oak.

Enjoy by 9-13-13 releases this Friday/next Monday I think. If not the week after.