• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

L.A. times article about possible Trout extension

3 minutes ago, Griffey's Corner said:

Assuming Trout is a huge competitor and does not like to lose..... than it's not enough just to get there. He wants to win multiple championships. 

If not this year.... than next year if the Angels want to keep Trout than they will have to step it up in a massive way.

Every player wants to win multiple championships.  I know it is sacrilegious to speak ill of Trout, but if he had even an average September last year he would have gotten to play in the playoffs again.  

Just now, Griffey's Corner said:

Do you think the Angels will have to pay some of the salary? 

I have no idea.  He is set for life so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him forfeit the last year or two.  Then again they could work out an agreement that just takes that salary and add it to his personal services contract which doesn’t hit the tax.  

28 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

I have gone on record saying Albert will retire before the end of his contract.  I still believe this is what will happen.  

In multiple interviews, Pujols has stated that he wants to help the Angels win a WS and that's his ultimate goal.  If they do win one before his contract expires, I think he will retire early. 

36 minutes ago, The Boogie Man said:

I have no idea.  He is set for life so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him forfeit the last year or two.  Then again they could work out an agreement that just takes that salary and add it to his personal services contract which doesn’t hit the tax.  

The players union would balk at Albert taking anything less than what he signed for. He’s going to get every dime Arte agreed to give him. 

18 minutes ago, artesmustache said:

The Nats know they were strong favorites to win the division last year and this year so it made the decision a bit easier -  plus, you could say they've been all-in the last few years. If the Angels go all-in and are a lock for post season in 2019 and 2020, then sure, take your chance. But if they continue to have one-foot in, then it's a bad gamble.

On the other hand, the Orioles absolutely butchered the Machado situation and will get pennies on the dollar at the deadline.

This! They could have received a kings ransom had they dealt him last July 

The sooner they get this over with the better.  Harper and Machado will set the market.  Angels need to act fairly quickly at that point imo.  Obviously, the longer they let it go the increased chance that they lose him.  Anything can happen in two years.  I have to assume that if Trout is happy here.  And there’s no reason to think he’s not.  He’ll sign a deal that makes him baseballs highest paid player and guarantees his family’s financial future.  But the Angels lose that leverage the longer they wait.  It needs to happen soon. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

12 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

The sooner they get this over with the better.  Harper and Machado will set the market.  Angels need to act fairly quickly at that point imo.  Obviously, the longer they let it go the increased chance that they lose him.  Anything can happen in two years.  I have to assume that if Trout is happy here.  And there’s no reason to thing he’s not.  He’ll sign a deal that makes him baseballs highest paid played and guarantees his family’s financial future.  But the Angels lose that leverage the longer they wait.  It needs to happen soon. 

If Trout really wants to play with the Angels for his entire career then he’s better off just waiting and force Arte to pony up on the open market. He will have plenty of competition to ensure that he gets everything he wants. I’m pretty sure that his agent wouldn’t mind fielding multiple offers. 

3 hours ago, OHTANILAND said:

We are in third place right now but yeah, Mike Trout will take that into consideration. 

In three years:

Reporter: Mike, what was the most instrumental factor in your decision to leave the Angels?
Trout: Well, there were a handful of factors, but by far, the most significant one was that on June 10, 2018, the Angels were in third place.

17 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

If Trout really wants to play with the Angels for his entire career then he’s better off just waiting and force Arte to pony up on the open market. He will have plenty of competition to ensure that he gets everything he wants. I’m pretty sure that his agent wouldn’t mind fielding multiple offers. 

Deals are two way streets.  If Trout wants to be an Angel and if he wants to hedge against risk he’ll be open to making a deal.  If he wants to roll the dice and go to the open market that’s his decision.  But there is legitimate risk.  Guys get hurt all the time.   You act like there’s zero risk in playing hardball with the Angels.  You are wrong.  The Angels aren’t going to low ball him.  Money is the most important thing for all these guys.  It’s only in your twisted world that the Angels don’t care about winning. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

6 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

The only way the Angels trade Trout is if the organization collapses and the team sucks tdawg’s balls in 2020. You don’t trade a franchise player unless your franchise is in shambles, and that is unlikely to be the case in two years. 

the edmonton oilers traded wayne gretzky the summer of '88, after winning their 4th Cup in 5 years. they won the cup again in 1990.

7 minutes ago, Tank said:

the edmonton oilers traded wayne gretzky the summer of '88, after winning their 4th Cup in 5 years. they won the cup again in 1990.

I think that baseball works a lot differently then hockey as far as roster building.  A lot more moving pieces.  A lot more uncertainty about performance. 

I wonder what teams might actually put up the $400 mil or so it is likely to take to sign him. I can easily envision the Yankees, Red Sox, Astros, and Cubs shying away from that, given their other commitments and their own young stars who will need mega-contracts (guys like Judge, Betts, Correa, Bryant, etc.). Add the Nats to that list if they re-sign Harper. 

The Dodgers could have the financial ability, but I don't see Trout leaving for a cross-town team. 

I guess the Phillies probably do seem like a legit threat, but they have been loathe to spend the last few years. 

Point being, I think Arte can and will make a money offer consistent with anyone else. 

3 minutes ago, wopphil said:

I wonder what teams might actually put up the $400 mil or so it is likely to take to sign him. I can easily envision the Yankees, Red Sox, Astros, and Cubs shying away from that, given their other commitments and their own young stars who will need mega-contracts (guys like Judge, Betts, Correa, Bryant, etc.). Add the Nats to that list if they re-sign Harper. 

The Dodgers could have the financial ability, but I don't see Trout leaving for a cross-town team. 

I guess the Phillies probably do seem like a legit threat, but they have been loathe to spend the last few years. 

Point being, I think Arte can and will make a money offer consistent with anyone else. 

I think ultimately when push comes to shove Trout will resign with the Angels. The biggest reason is no team will ever love you like your first team. Look at what happened to Griffey when he left the Mariners.... he went to his hometown team the Reds and the first slump he went into they crucified him. Look at Pujols.