• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Uses of the term Dipoto

14 hours ago, calscuf said:

7. Verb: To lead yourself into first place.  “Jerry Dipoto’d his team all the way to the top of the AL West.”

The Mariners remaining in first place, or even finishing the year as a .500 team seems about as sustainable as clear cutting every forest on earth.

They have a good offense, but their rotation and bullpen are both garbage and their record in one-run games is comically good.

In my opinion, Mariners are going to collapse in spectacular fashion this year, which will cause Dipoto to axe Servais in his attempt to shift blame. 

It's early June, one third of the way through the year. Come July, they'll be a few games back on first place and in a battle with the Angels for the second wild card. Come August, they'll be a few games behind the Angels. Come September, the A's will be passing them. Come October, they'll be interviewing interviewing managerial candidates. Come December, Dipoto will make a thousand trades and drum up some hype entering 2019. Come October 2019, Dipoto will be fired and the Mariners will be a cellar dweller with no farm system. Come 2020, they'll have a fire sale.

And that will be Dipoto's legacy. Inheriting two higher payroll teams with a good minor league system, and subsequently raising payroll to unsustainable levels, depleting the farm system and ultimately building losing teams.

4 minutes ago, calscuf said:

Ok, we will see.  For now they’re playing well, better than the Angels.  Let’s talk shit on them if they collapse.  Seems weird right now.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. The Mariners are lucky, the Astros are good. The Angels....they're a unique combination of unlucky and mediocre. But eventually this year they'll be kind of good and not necessarily lucky or unlucky. 

It's long season. Rarely does luck last the whole year. Last year it did with the Twins though, so you never know I guess.

4 minutes ago, calscuf said:

Ok, we will see.  For now they’re playing well, better than the Angels.  Let’s talk shit on them if they collapse.  Seems weird right now.

This in a nutshell.

The 2016 Rangers rode a significantly worse offense and mediocre pitching staff to a 95 win season on the strength of a 36-11 record in one run games.   Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good -- winning teams often catch breaks.  

JD's Ms doing well this year doesn't change what he did in Anaheim, success or failure elsewhere won't validate his tenure here. 

If they end up pulling it out -- props to him and the Ms.

4 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. The Mariners are lucky, the Astros are good. The Angels....they're a unique combination of unlucky and mediocre. But eventually this year they'll be kind of good and not necessarily lucky or unlucky. 

It's long season. Rarely does luck last the whole year. Last year it did with the Twins though, so you never know I guess.

Astros record in 1 run games -- 4-12.   Mariners 20-9
Astros BP ERA - 3.03, Mariners 3.66  (Angels 3.64)
Astros BP WHIP - 1.11, Mariners 1.20
Astros Save% 64.64, Mariners 67.65%

That record in 1 run games is what it is..

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Astros record in 1 run games -- 4-12.   Mariners 20-9
Astros BP ERA - 3.03, Mariners 3.66  (Angels 3.64)
Astros BP WHIP - 1.11, Mariners 1.20
Astros Save% 64.64, Mariners 67.65%

That record in 1 run games is what it is..

The numbers don't translate to a 20-9 record in those games.  They've played in roughly 30 1-run games so far this year, on pace to play roughly 80 of them across a full year which is just insane.  

At this pace, they'd go 50-25 in one run games.  You say it is what it is, but that's not even close to sustainable, even if they have an elite bullpen, which they don't. 

The Mariners should probably have five less wins.  And they can't count on that luck to hold up, no matter what bullpen they have.  

And long run, they've got a decent offense.  Gordon, Cruz, Seager, Healy, Segura....yeah they can hit the ball.  It isn't a great offense but it's alright.  Better than ours without Ohtani and Simmons, that's for sure.  But the rotation and bullpen won't hold up, not unless they trade for three more starter and two more relievers, which they don't have the farm system to do.   

Not that this is the be all-end all, but Seattle is also rocking a +23 run differential.  Compare that to Houston's 125 and the Angels 37.  Again, not sustainable. 

16 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

At this pace, they'd go 50-25 in one run games.  You say it is what it is, but that's not even close to sustainable, even if they have an elite bullpen, which they don't. 

I say "it is what it is" because ...  it is.   

I don't think the record in one run games is a byproduct of the talent they have on hand and it would be really really hard for someone to explain their record when compared to that of the Astros who are better at pretty much every facet of the game we would want to point towards to try to explain their success.  The truth is that what I do believe isn't really something that can be proven ..   Mostly, there is a lot of randomness in 1 run games -- good teams tend to win them more often than not (particularly as the sample size increases), but there is no accounting for some of the randomness.... so, as you put it -- there is a lot of "luck" there.

Trying to explain luck would be futile for either of us -- so instead I'd rather just go with "it is what it is".

Edited by Inside Pitch

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I say "it is what it is" because ...  it is.   

I don't think the record in one run games is a byproduct of the talent they have on hand and it would be really really hard for someone to explain their record when compared to that of the Astros who are better at pretty much every facet of the game we would want to point towards to try to explain their success.  The truth is that what I do believe isn't really something that can be proven ..   Mostly, there is a lot of randomness in 1 run games -- good teams tend to win them more often than not (particularly as the sample size increases), but there is no accounting for some of the randomness.... so, as you put it -- there is a lot of "luck" there.

Trying to explain luck would be futile for either of us -- so instead I'd rather just go with "it is what it is".

I agree with you that good teams tend to win more of those one-run games, except that the Mariners aren't a good team.

Another word:

DiPujoled:

1. When you think something is far better than it ends up being.

2. To be given a lemon (as in a used car).

3. To have a new asshole forced upon your body, possibly through a sharp object. 3b. To have a new one torn.

4. When you think you are being made love to ever so gently and then realize you’re being anally raped.

6 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

In my opinion, Mariners are going to collapse in spectacular fashion this year, which will cause Dipoto to axe Servais in his attempt to shift blame. 

There is an equal chance that he will pull the trigger on a panic deal that will crash the Mariners' payroll for years and pay no dividends, while stripping the club of some of the few remaining real prospects that they have.