• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

RIP: Anthony Bourdain

This sucks, I really enjoyed his last two series.  I found his interest in other countries and cultures very entertaining and when I watched his show I felt, at times, like I actually learned something.

Suicide is becoming the new cancer.  

Edited by mtangelsfan

21 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

This sucks, I really enjoyed his last two series.  I found his interest in other countries and cultures very entertaining and when I watched his show I felt, at times, like I actually learned something.

Suicide is becoming the new cancer.  

With all due respect, equating suicide with cancer in any sense is fatuous at best. 

At some point likely in the near future, at least in terms of human development, we'll be able to treat cancer with a hundred percent effectiveness.  I doubt we'll be able to do the same with depression and suicide. 

and if you think you'll see cancer treated at 100% efficiency in you (or your children's) lifetime, you are wrong. 

for example, the first documented case of multiple myeloma was 170+ years ago. there is still no cure. 

2 minutes ago, Lou said:

How many people do you know that have chosen to die by getting cancer? 

outside of smokers?

I'd say we are getting off track...but my impression was Bourdain always liked a lively discussion...usually over drinks and good food

1 minute ago, red321 said:

outside of smokers?

I'd say we are getting off track...but my impression was Bourdain always liked a lively discussion...usually over drinks and good food

even with smokers, that's the result, not the intention. 

and I agree with you take on AB. he was a guy I wanted to dislike, but every time I came across one of his shows I would stop and watch it. 

RIP Anthony 

12 minutes ago, Lou said:

How many people do you know that have chosen to die by getting cancer? 

Enough. 

10 minutes ago, Lou said:

and if you think you'll see cancer treated at 100% efficiency in you (or your children's) lifetime, you are wrong. 

I didn't say in my or anyone alive's lifetime. Though in fifty years the death rate will likely be drastically improved.  But in the context of our species' entire history, it will be a very short time until we are able to manipulate the physical aspects of our bodies down to the cellular level. The human brain though will be a tougher nut to crack. Even today when compared to our ability to treat cancer, our ability to treat mental issues resembles an ape throwing its own feces at the wall.

54 minutes ago, Lou said:

With all due respect, equating suicide with cancer in any sense is fatuous at best. 

I am not talking about them being equal.  I have lost loved ones to it.  Right now a very close friend of mine's wife is battling ovarian cancer.

My point was that suicide is on the rise.  

43 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

I am not talking about them being equal.  I have lost loved ones to it.  Right now a very close friend of mine's wife is battling ovarian cancer.

My point was that suicide is on the rise.  

Ok, but when you say "is the new", it denotes equality. 

RIP. That is awful, how devastating for his family.

Loved his shows; he viewed traveling and exploring and learning new cultures the same way I do. Would have loved to get a beer and a bite with him in an underground dive pub in some far off land. 

He was a true talent and will be missed.