• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Albert Pujols numbers not encouraging

12 minutes ago, Homebrewer said:

Scioscia will continue to bat him 4th. Hell, he wont even bring someone in to run for him when the team is down a couple runs in the 8th and 9th inning. 

I’m a big fan of Mike Scioscia but the last couple of nights this has driven me crazy.  We don’t need Albert clogging up the base paths when we have to score in the 8th or 9th. 

40 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Older players will always know when it's time to hang up the spikes. The youngsters have a habit of making it clear to them. Only sometimes old timers aren't ready to stop playing. They'll hang on out of sheer pride and that's what we're seeing from Albert.

But eventually I think he'll come to terms with it.

2018 - Plays 1B/DH, bats cleanup. Later in the year he's dropped to 7th.

2019 - Plays 1B/DH,  bats 7th for the first half, moves into a reserve role in the second half.

2020 - Power bat off the bench. Retires after the year.

2021 - Moves into a coaching role as second batting coach. He's in the dugout at home but doesn't travel with the team. 

People keep saying/hoping he will retire, but let's face it, this is not happening.  Why walk away from a guaranteed 25 million (per year)?  The best we can hope for is a "medical retirement" a la Prince Fielder, where he still pockets the money but the team moves on.  

Sadly I think Pujols stays the cleanup hitter for at least the rest of this year, and quite possibly next year too.

Yea it’s delusional to think he’s going to retire.  Would any of you guys walk away from 70 + million dollars cuz stat pride.  Give me a break.  This guy is gonna get every cent of that contract as he definitely should. 

Arte just has to eat it.  If he can’t play what difference does it make ? The money is guaranteed. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 minute ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I think hes been kept where he is in the lineup all this time so that he could get to 600/3000/2000 as soon as possible.

After that (im hoping) he gets out of the way.

I hope you're wrong.  Winning games should take priority over personal achievements.

15 minutes ago, IEAngelsfan said:

I hope you're wrong.  Winning games should take priority over personal achievements.

Youd hope...but batting him cleanup isnt winning, either.

The angels arent stupid. (Ok, sometimes they are). They see the same thing EVERYONE else does. The only reason to keep him there (i can think of) is to get thr milestones out of the way as quickly as possible. And who knows, maybe theres a gentlemans agreement in place between albert and arte that he'll become a reserve or something.

11 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

Yea it’s delusional to think he’s going to retire.  Would any of you guys walk away from 70 + million dollars cuz stat pride.  Give me a break.  This guy is gonna get every cent of that contract as he definitely should. 

Arte just has to eat it.  If he can’t play what difference does it make ? The money is guaranteed. 

It was a different scenario, but they ate Hackilton’s $70 million.

At least move him DOWN to #5/#6!   What’s the worst thing that happens if you do that, Scioscia????    And hope he accepts the 2020/2021 salary over 10 years and retires in 16-17 months!!!

25 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

In a perfect world, the Angels/Cardinals can find a way to facilitate a trade to where Pujols can gracefully end his career in St Louis and the Angels can maybe, just maybe save a few million in the process. Would be best for both parties really.

How on earth would the Cardinals spending a few million on Pujols be in their best interest? This is the Albert Pujols who felt disrespected by their 5 year 125 million dollar offer. Which looks very reasonable in hindsight.

no one is taking this Guy. He will collect every penny of that contract from the angels.

its up to the team to realize that playing him only makes things worse

2 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

How on earth would the Cardinals spending a few million on Pujols be in their best interest? This is the Albert Pujols who felt disrespected by their 5 year 125 million dollar offer. Which looks very reasonable in hindsight.

no one is taking this Guy. He will collect every penny of that contract from the angels.

its up to the team to realize that playing him only makes things worse

Looking back, iirc, I thought 7 years/$175 million was the most I would offer to a 32 year-old, and that only because he scorched the baseball through 2011.

This would be his last season, if that contract was the one he signed.

I mean, the Angels were able to recoup some money when they dumped Hamilton back to Texas and he was more useless than Albert was. Albert is a Cardinals legend so that also could help play a role in things. The freakin Mariners took back a washed up Ichiro for nostalgia sake

I don't think the Cards would take him back as a starter but rather a bench player but IDK if Pujols ego/pride will accept that kind of role. I dont' think it's likely, which is why I said "in a perfect world"

In the end, we're likely looking at the Angels relegating him to a bench role eventually, which just means the Angels would be carrying a terrible bench player. I don't see them DFA him but honestly that's the best course of action when it comes to actually improving the ball club.