• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Machado or Harper

7 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I see your reasoning and say it's a sound one, but I would vote for Harper.

I'd love to have a significant LH power hitter on this squad.  We have Ohtani, but as we know, he hits at most 4 times in one week.  Give me Harper and stick him in RF.  Calhoun gets traded or.. I really have no idea.

Lineup:

3B Cozart

CF Trout

RF Harper

LF Upton

DH Ohtani

1B Pujols :(

SS Simmons

C  Maldonado

2B Fletcher / Fernandez / whomever

I understand the concern of blocking our OF prospects, but realistically, they're probably 3 years away.  Around that time, we can shift Upton to DH to open up one spot, then deal with things as they come.  While I love both Adell and Marsh, who knows if they end up being everything we hope they can be.  They are in single A right now.  If they end up developing and can become legitimate stars, we can figure out what to do wiht our amazing surplus later.

As far as moving upton to DH, what do we do with Ohtani?

Its a tough call. Machado does someehat fit our needs better. Haroer blocks people. But holy shit, hes a guy you block people for.

Trout and Harper would be insane. Manny ortiz kind of deal. And they are worth a ton media wise over machado, imo. Thats worth something (to ownership).

Id gladly take either. Ive been a machado fan since he got here, and im not a big harper guy. But harper is the better player i think.

39 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

As far as moving upton to DH, what do we do with Ohtani?

Its a tough call. Machado does someehat fit our needs better. Haroer blocks people. But holy shit, hes a guy you block people for.

Trout and Harper would be insane. Manny ortiz kind of deal. And they are worth a ton media wise over machado, imo. Thats worth something (to ownership).

Id gladly take either. Ive been a machado fan since he got here, and im not a big harper guy. But harper is the better player i think.

Maybe by then, Ohtani picks up some games at 1B ;) who knows.  But yeah, that's an oversight on my part.  That said, the earliest we see Marsh and Adell is 2020.  If we have a logjam, well, we can figure it out as the time gets closer.

We could always use one of them in a trade for a top-flight SP.  Or we can find a taker for the remainder of Upton's contract.  Etc.. lots of options.  

7 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Maybe by then, Ohtani picks up some games at 1B ;) who knows.  But yeah, that's an oversight on my part.  That said, the earliest we see Marsh and Adell is 2020.  If we have a logjam, well, we can figure it out as the time gets closer.

We could always use one of them in a trade for a top-flight SP.  Or we can find a taker for the remainder of Upton's contract.  Etc.. lots of options.  

Actually, "your oversight" (i think all of us actually) is  something we need to consider. As long as ohtani is here that takes us out of a DH spot, unless something drastic changes (he gets figured out, becomes a full time pitcher or full time hitter/position player).

11 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Neither. I’m too excited about our farm system and would rather see Arte blow his wad on a Trout extension and cultivating the long-term.

yes.  But if I had to choose, it would be Machado as long as it was for 3b.  

5 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Agreed, unless Harper would agree to convert to 1B, then I'd take him. 

A possibility.  If both Adell and Marsh develop exactly as we hope, then this is a possibility.  Imagine a core of:  Trout, Harper, Adell, Ohtani, Marsh batting 2-6.  WOW.  

Harper is the better player Harper is who I choose. I don’t care that our top prospects our outfielders. Trade them for a 3rd baseman if we get Harper. Could u imagine a lefty righty lefty combo in the line up of Ohtani Trout and Harper. F*ck!

Calhoun is terrible right now and the OF prospects are not ready and none of them could be responsibly projected to be as good as Harper.

If you can get Harper you get Harper.

I love Adell but Bryce Harper is Bryce Harper.  Adell looks projectable as 19 yr old in single A.

Harper was hitting 22 homers in the majors at 19.

26 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Signing either Harper or Machado and extending Trout while still paying Pujols is a pipe dream. A dream one has after smoking a bowl of opium.

I know.  It would be like the owner of a $2m classic Ferrari that is appreciating  $70k per year, putting another $25k a year into keeping it right.

3 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Signing either Harper or Machado and extending Trout while still paying Pujols is a pipe dream. A dream one has after smoking a bowl of opium.

Trout's contract ends with 1 year left on Pujols' contract.  This means there'd be one year of overlap with Trout's extended contract + Pujols + Harper, then Pujols' contract drops off.

Unlikely for sure, but not impossible, especially considering we have a lot of young, cheap talent nearing the majors at a much quicker rate than we previously anticipated.