• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Machado or Harper

With the current construction of our team, who would you rather have Machado or Harper?

I know Machado has said he doesn't want to play 3rd base, I am confident that if Eppler wanted Machado and Arte was willing to pay the money then Eppler would be able to convince him to move to 3rd base.  With Harper, you know what you are going to get.  He plays with fire, some say he is a douche bag, whatever.  

My pick would be Machado.  Simple reason is we have very good outfield prospects, and I would like to see Marsh or Adell get a chance to play when they are ready.  I don't think there is a huge talent gap between Harper and Machado, so he gets the edge for me.  

11 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

With the current construction of our team, who would you rather have Machado or Harper?

I know Machado has said he doesn't want to play 3rd base, I am confident that if Eppler wanted Machado and Arte was willing to pay the money then Eppler would be able to convince him to move to 3rd base.  With Harper, you know what you are going to get.  He plays with fire, some say he is a douche bag, whatever.  

My pick would be Machado.  Simple reason is we have very good outfield prospects, and I would like to see Marsh or Adell get a chance to play when they are ready.  I don't think there is a huge talent gap between Harper and Machado, so he gets the edge for me.  

Good point....Harper would block our outfield prospects.  Machado is more a position of need.

However I wouldnt want to deplete our salary cap and lose Trout

1 minute ago, Dick Enberg said:

we only live once Arte? he signs Harper and Machado and still you have Pujols in the line up...LOL!

Juat trying to keep it realistic.  It is a bit reckless to fantasize that Pujols wont be in there, right?

20 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

I see your reasoning and say it's a sound one, but I would vote for Harper.

I'd love to have a significant LH power hitter on this squad.  We have Ohtani, but as we know, he hits at most 4 times in one week.  Give me Harper and stick him in RF.  Calhoun gets traded or.. I really have no idea.

Lineup:

3B Cozart

CF Trout

RF Harper

LF Upton

DH Ohtani

1B Pujols :(

SS Simmons

C  Maldonado

2B Fletcher / Fernandez / whomever

I understand the concern of blocking our OF prospects, but realistically, they're probably 3 years away.  Around that time, we can shift Upton to DH to open up one spot, then deal with things as they come.  While I love both Adell and Marsh, who knows if they end up being everything we hope they can be.  They are in single A right now.  If they end up developing and can become legitimate stars, we can figure out what to do wiht our amazing surplus later.

32 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Both.  You only live once Arte.

Simmons ss

Trout cf

Harper rf

Machado 3b

Ohtani dh

Upton lf 

Pujols 1b

Kinsler 2b

Maldonado c

The unbelievable part of this post is Pujols batting 7th. He's never going to bat anywhere but 4th...

If you look at Harper's career he is the Ervin Santana of outfielders. He has an even/odd year streak where he is either injured or plays at a lowered level on even years and is Superman on odd years. And the fluctuations are huge. Imagine you blow all that money on him and he puts up 2014 or 2016 numbers. In fact Pujols had better numbers in 2016. 

43 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Good point....Harper would block our outfield prospects.  Machado is more a position of need.

However I wouldnt want to deplete our salary cap and lose Trout

The FO definetley has to start putting out feelers to the Trout camp and see where is interest is at regarding an extension 

if there’s even a slight hint that he doesn’t see a long term plan here then you put the full court press on Machado this offseason 

1 hour ago, SuperTroopers said:

Where does he want to play? If it's shortstop, I'd have to go with Harper even though we have some young studs coming in a few years.

1 hour ago, SuperTroopers said:

It's unlikely that Angels get either one,  but if I had a pick I'd pick Harper and trade our outfield prospects for a front line pitcher.  Harper has that fire that left the team with Erstad.  Calhoun has a little but he's not quite there.

Machado is great but I don't care for his attitude and he gives me the feeling that he tries to put an "I" into TEAM.  Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my impression.