• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Is Kole's defense worth him being in the lineup?

1 minute ago, SuperTroopers said:

So your 4th outfielder needs to be able to play center field.  Kole has never done it.   If he isn’t a starter he can’t be on the team.  

If Trout comes out of the game I don't like our chances in that game anyways.  If it gets to that, Upton can play center and Marte can play left.

2 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

If Trout comes out of the game I don't like our chances in that game anyways.  If it gets to that, Upton can play center and Marte can play left.

I’m sure you’ve noticed that Eppler and Scioscia value defense, especially Eppler.  All players need a day off or a DH day.  We’re not going to see Marte in left and Upton in CF in the same game.  

1 minute ago, stormngt said:

I thought there was a narrative that Kole could play all three outfield positions when he first came up.

He hasn’t played CF yet.   What does that tell you?

Edited by SuperTroopers

Just now, SuperTroopers said:

Ok.  I just find it strange that he’s never started a game in CF in the bigs on a Trout off day or the couple times he’s been on the DL.  

Don't think he has in the bigs but he has played some LF and 1b.....he is a very good RF'er.....I would assume that would translate to CF but the lack of experience there since the minors is a concern....You could certainly use him as a late inning defensive replacement for Blash in RF and give him a shot in CF when Trout needs a rest (which isn't very often)....if Trout gets hurt, you'd have to call up EYoung or use CYoung....

Just now, BackUpTheTruck said:

Yes, he is mediocre at best. The way we has been swinging the bat though, I wouldn't mind seeing an Upton clone in RF.  No player is perfect, you gave to know how to get the best from them to help the team win.

I dont want two Upton defenders in the outfield.  Whatever they bring in offensive production would be negated by the poor defense.

2 minutes ago, BackUpTheTruck said:

Yes, he is mediocre at best. The way we has been swinging the bat though, I wouldn't mind seeing an Upton clone in RF.  No player is perfect, you gave to know how to get the best from them to help the team win.

I’m glad you now see that Kole helped the team win last night.  

3 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

And what makes you think Blash wouldn't have helped? Maybe Blash could have hit 4 homeruns for all we know and made that 9th inning play completely irrelevant.

Sure he COULD have done that.  But Kole did make a great defensive play.   Also Jars read what I’ve been writing, because for some reason you’re implying I think think Kole should be playing.  

35 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

So your 4th outfielder needs to be able to play center field.  Kole has never done it.   If he isn’t a starter he can’t be on the team.  

Trout should never sit or leave a game unless his arm falls off. JMO

1 hour ago, Torridd said:

Again, Calhoun makes a huge play to help save the game. He is one of our best outfield defenders, but is he that good we can afford his bat in the lineup? Thoughts? 

No. Maybe if he got a hit once in awhile the game wouldn't depend on making an outstanding defensive play.

Unless he's pitching well no player can hit that badly and justify playing.

51 minutes ago, nando714 said:

Trout should never sit or leave a game unless his arm falls off. JMO

I'll take Trout with one arm over some players with two good ones.

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

Upton was signed in order to give us 35-40 home runs and 90-100 RBI. His defense is what it is, we just have to tolerate it. He can't DH due to Ohtani/Albert, and if he did on non-Ohtani days we'd be looking at Chris Young and his anemic bat in the lineup. We just don't have enough parts to go around.

+1

Upton will hopefully move to 1B/DH after Pujols retires following either the 2019 or 2020 season.    Will still need to set aside some 110 DH starts for Ohtani. 

2 hours ago, Torridd said:

Again, Calhoun makes a huge play to help save the game. He is one of our best outfield defenders, but is he that good we can afford his bat in the lineup? Thoughts? 

Nobody with a sub .400 OPS has enough glove to overcome his lack of bat in the current hitting environment, much less so when that person plays a corner OF position.    He's been so very bad it's almost hard to believe it's real.