• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Are Angel Fans Still Embarrassed?

3 hours ago, OHTANILAND said:

Yep 6 division titles doesn’t mean sh*t and is a very crappy achievement.  Now, if we can just squeeze out that second wild card....

If i brought up 2014, youd point out we got bounced in the playoffs. 

Rinse, wash, repeat.

Not to mention the dodgers outspent all of pro sports worldwide during their run...which you usually preach against on here.

3 hours ago, OHTANILAND said:

Yep 6 division titles doesn’t mean sh*t and is a very crappy achievement.  Now, if we can just squeeze out that second wild card....

I don't know, man. That fanbase is pretty bitter after all the choking that team has done. There are very few teams in MLB history that have had the opportunities the Dodgers have had and still failed to win a championship. They've been to quite a few NLCS 's the last 10 years and have only made it to 1 WS

They have a lot of good young players and could still possibly win one but that window seems pretty reliant on Kershaw and Jansen - who are over 30 now

28 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I don't know, man. That fanbase is pretty bitter after all the choking that team has done. There are very few teams in MLB history that have had the opportunities the Dodgers have had and still failed to win a championship. They've been to quite a few NLCS 's the last 10 years and have only made it to 1 WS

They have a lot of good young players and could still possibly win one but that window seems pretty reliant on Kershaw and Jansen - who are over 30 now

Again I’m not a Dodgers fan but I think they have six championships and have been to ten world series so we’re not even a good comparison to them. I only mentioned them because they’re our neighbor and their fans have had a lot of October baseball recently. 

First of all.  None of this serious to me.  It’s fun. It’s fun to be passionate about the team.  But im not ever personally embarrassed.  I think I’m actually pretty self deprecating about it.  I try to have fun with it good or bad.  Sometimes I get frustrated or annoyed.  That passes quickly I think.  That said,  nobody enjoys going to the stadium and having obscenities and insults screamed at them by visiting fans.  I don’t go to Dodger Stadium and yell things at Dodger fans. I wouldn’t do that at Yankee stadium or Fenway.  

So ya, it is annoying that basic level of respect isn’t reciprocated by a lot of people.  It’s annoying, but I understand that people do what they do and it is what it is.  I don’t expect the respect I choose to demonstrate to be reciprocated.  My response is to come on this angels fan forum.  Benignly complain in a few posts and maybe make fun of the other team a bit.   I don’t know why that’s a big deal or even surprising.  The back and forth is part of the fan experience.  It’s what makes it fun.  I will say, the few comments from last night about the FOX commentators mocking Mike Scoscia and Garret Richards.  I mean, why wouldn’t a fan be bothered by that ?  It was stupid.  I don’t get the impulse to shut down a few complaints about that.  Whatever. 

I also don’t quite understand why “Bad” fans should be thrown up to good fans.  Im not responsible for the casual that leaves in the 6th inning.  Or the guy that has too much money and doesn’t give a shit about his season tickets.      I understand some people need to sell these tickets to the Yankees, Dodgers etc, so they can afford the tickets.  It is what it is.  I don’t begrudge people that.  Every team has casuals.  Every teams business is mostly floated by casuals.  Sure, Southern California has less intense fans then Boston.  So Cal also has way more entertainment options then the Saaaawks.  It’s easy to care less when there’s 50 other enterntainment options.  Don’t even get me started on front runner Yankee fans.  Why on earth would I be embarrassed about Angels fans ?

Finally, I think it’s cool that some of you are happy with 2002 and don’t feel particularly intense about seeing more championships.  But isn’t that sort of a personal thing ? 2002 was a long time ago.  I personally want the Angels to be great.  So as happy as I am with the 02 championship.  As someone who follows and cares about the team.  I’m probably even hungrier for another.  I don’t think one championship screams greatness. I don’t think 1 playoff appearance in basically the last 10 years screams greatness.  I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. Especially with all the winning the team down the 5 does.  Yes not championships.  But a lot of winning.  I want in on that ! I think the interest, time and money I invest in the Angels makes that reasonable.  Now is winning something I demand or expect ? Of course not.  That’s not part of the deal.  I would very much prefer it.  But I’m not going to stop watching or cheering.  I’ll always be an Angels fan, win or lose. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

It's about the journey to me.  Winning it all is obviously the goal, but only one team gets to claim that per year.  What I want to be is competitive every single year and have most September games hold meaning.  I want to believe in my FO and believe in the overall direction of the team, and I can gladly say that we have that right now.  

Getting crushed by the elite teams in the AL East sucks, but that said, our talent level and coaching/scouting departments are leaps and bounds above where we were two years ago.  I don't genuinely believe we are a WS team this year, but I likewise have the belief that we have a great system in place now.  If we can eke out a playoff spot this year, then that's awesome.  Next year, our robust minor leaguers will be one year closer to the majors, and our FO will have likely made several more robust acquisitions to get us closer to the promised land.

It's all about making gradual, steady progress, and have something to cheer for.  If you asked me if I would rather take one title every 10 years and have a terrible team the other 9 years (i.e. the life of a Marlins fan), or if I'd rather have a team that's consistently in it and wins once every, say, 30 years.. I'd probably opt for the latter, because at least I'm constantly engaged and excited about my team.

5 minutes ago, Lou said:

Yeah, I didn't get that either.

When GA hit that three-run bomb in Texas on the Thursday of the final week of the 2002 season, breaking the game wide open and clinching the wild card for the Angels, I sent an email out to family and friends exulting over the first time in 16 years we made the postseason.

Nobody responded. I was crushed. My faith in humanity was shattered for a time. I finally recovered but it's still shaky to this day. What's wrong with people?!

Edited by fan_since79

Then again, the Angel organization went 41 years before winning a World Series.

The Dodgers recent drought is only at 30 years right now. They won one 7 years before that, too, and appeared in three more (losing) in the 7 years before that. And, of course, the losing one last year.

The Angels degree of success pales in comparison to the Dodgers, IMO.

Think of not-too-distant periods for Cubs fans, for Red Sox fans, for Astro fans, for Ranger fans and for Indians fans. Seven teams/organizations still have never won a WS (COL, SEA, SDP, TEX, TBR, MTL/WAS, MIL. Two have never been IN a WS (MTL/WAS and SEA). They know deeper valleys than most of us.

If you are a baseball fan long enough and old enough, you see these ebbs and flows. But if you are a recent baseball fan, 2002 and 2009 can seem like a long time ago. 1988, as well, for new Dodger fans.

In my experience, the typical AW Angel fan is not representative of most Angel fans. The average Angel fan doesn't have half the fire of the average AW fan.

But I do have to shake my head how fast the mood changes around here. My God, the bagging on Richards, who has pitched as good as any of our starters except MAYBE Ohtani, was ridiculous. And the euphoria after the 13-3 start (against mostly mediocre teams) was ill-advised, too.

It's a long season, AW fans. It's a long career as a baseball fan. Relish the ups and downs.

And remember what Astro fans went through only 5-10 years ago..............or how about the despair of Ranger fans after losing TWO straight and being within ONE STRIKE of winning it, TWICE!!!

I would contend that a WS victory is sweeter for the fans of teams like the Astros, the Red Sox (before 2004), the Cubs, the Royals and, yes, the Angels in 2002, than it is for perennial playoff teams like the Yankees. Yankee fans are disappointed with anything less than a WS victory. Winning one is like, meh, another trophy in the case..........

Personally, I think that ANY season where you make it to a division series is a success, and should be relished, accordingly. That's more success than 73% of the teams in any given year.

REJOICE, REJOICE!

We have no choice..........but to carry on.

20 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

Then again, the Angel organization went 41 years before winning a World Series.

The Dodgers recent drought is only at 30 years right now. They won one 7 years before that, too, and appeared in three more (losing) in the 7 years before that. And, of course, the losing one last year.

The Angels degree of success pales in comparison to the Dodgers, IMO.

Think of not-too-distant periods for Cubs fans, for Red Sox fans, for Astro fans, for Ranger fans and for Indians fans. Seven teams/organizations still have never won a WS (COL, SEA, SDP, TEX, TBR, MTL/WAS, MIL. Two have never been IN a WS (MTL/WAS and SEA). They know deeper valleys than most of us.

If you are a baseball fan long enough and old enough, you see these ebbs and flows. But if you are a recent baseball fan, 2002 and 2009 can seem like a long time ago. 1988, as well, for new Dodger fans.

In my experience, the typical AW Angel fan is not representative of most Angel fans. The average Angel fan doesn't have half the fire of the average AW fan.

But I do have to shake my head how fast the mood changes around here. My God, the bagging on Richards, who has pitched as good as any of our starters except MAYBE Ohtani, was ridiculous. And the euphoria after the 13-3 start (against mostly mediocre teams) was ill-advised, too.

It's a long season, AW fans. It's a long career as a baseball fan. Relish the ups and downs.

And remember what Astro fans went through only 5-10 years ago..............or how about the despair of Ranger fans after losing TWO straight and being within ONE STRIKE of winning it, TWICE!!!

I would contend that a WS victory is sweeter for the fans of teams like the Astros, the Red Sox (before 2004), the Cubs, the Royals and, yes, the Angels in 2002, than it is for perennial playoff teams like the Yankees. Yankee fans are disappointed with anything less than a WS victory. Winning one is like, meh, another trophy in the case..........

Personally, I think that ANY season where you make it to a division series is a success, and should be relished, accordingly. That's more success than 73% of the teams in any given year.

REJOICE, REJOICE!

We have no choice..........but to carry on.

This is a great post - very well said.

2 hours ago, OHTANILAND said:

Again I’m not a Dodgers fan but I think they have six championships and have been to ten world series so we’re not even a good comparison to them. I only mentioned them because they’re our neighbor and their fans have had a lot of October baseball recently. 

How did that turn out for them? 

I'm not embarrassed about the team.  I really couldn't care less about what the announcers or fans of other teams say.  Those things are kind of silly and I don't want to waste my time or energy on them.

As for the Dodgers, I did have a problem with their fans since I grew up in LA County during the 60's and 70's.  The constant being the butt of jokes, being made fun of and questions as to why I was an Angels fan grew tiring to the point of not even mentioning being a fan.  I hated being surrounded by those fools, but that was the consequence of growing up when the Dodgers were constantly good and the Angels were not. But as Tank posted earlier, 2002 washed away all those demons and I was set free!  I think you had to experience all those years of anguish to realize the healing process of that 2002 season.  That being said, I still enjoy seeing the Dodgers lose.?

Not sure why there's such a focus on the Dodgers.  Yeah some of their fans are annoying, but that's rather true with most fan bases.  I don't have anything against them, nor do I think we have any kind of real rivalry with them.  

The Dodgers recent run of success is the course that I hope we are on ourselves, and I see a lot of similarities.  Their team was gutted and destroyed by a terrible owner, and they had some really bad years mixed in there, but they got rescued by the new ownership group, who hired Friedman after a few years and are now one of the best run organizations in baseball.

For us, we were run poorly by our former GM, left with bloated contracts and virtually no minor league talent.  Fortunately, he quit on us, we replaced him with a stud GM, and now we are amassing both major and minor league talent.  Hopefully, in a year or two, we can go on a run of 5+ division titles and be constant World Series threats.  I'd be down with that ;)