• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Are Angel Fans Still Embarrassed?

I know we have a thread about it being embarrassing that our stadium is filled with Yankee fans.  But are we as a fan based still embarrassed by losing on National TV?  Are we still so sensitive that we get butt hurt when people make fun of our name?  Are we still pissed when we get called Anaheim by the Joe Bucks of the world?  Do we still get pissed off at National guys when they seem to talk poorly on our team while felating the Yankees or the Red Sox?  Do you still have an inferiority complex living in the Dodgers shadow? 

I ask these questions because I see us bitch about that stuff all the time on here or on FB.  My brother does this as well.  I cared about all of this stuff for the longest time.  Then one glorious night in October of 2002 it all went away.  I don't care about any of it any more.  I have a feeling I know who feels the same way I do on here, but I was curious why?  Maybe it is maturity but why would I feel embarrassed by what happens to my favorite team?  It's a hobby, a passion, it is entertainment.  Embarrassed?  Hell no, not after Erstad made the catch...

In the whole scheme of things, baseball is just a game. As you said, entertainment. 

I missed the game entirely last night, but had a wonderful time at a dinner party with friends, live music, and good cheer. When I checked the score at 9 pm, I just laughed. 

I am glad, however, that we won the Series in 2002. That's always a consolation even if we never win another one.

We haven’t won a playoff game since 2009. The Giants and Red Sox have both won 3 championships since 2002. We’ve had two generational players on our roster and now we might have a third. The Dodgers have won like 6 division championships in a row. Hell yea we’ve shit the bed and it’s embarrassing. Does anyone here want a 2002 sticker on their coffin?

2 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

We haven’t won a playoff game since 2009. The Giants and Red Sox have both won 3 championships since 2002. We’ve had two generational players on our roster and now we might have a third. The Dodgers have won like 6 division championships in a row. Hell yea we’ve shit the bed and it’s embarrassing. Does anyone here want a 2002 sticker on their coffin?

At least we're not the Mariners.

12 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

When was the Dodgers last world title?

7 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

So because the Angels won the World Series in 2002 16 years ago we should never be upset about a loss or anything that happens with the Angels. It would be like saying well because I won the jackpot 20 years ago you're not allowed to be upset that you got into a car crash today. 

Yea, be upset.  Being embarrassed is different.  Some people still have this inferiority complex and it is probably less about the Angels and more about the person.  

33 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

So because the Angels won the World Series in 2002 16 years ago we should never be upset about a loss or anything that happens with the Angels. It would be like saying well because I won the jackpot 20 years ago you're not allowed to be upset that you got into a car crash today. 

No! But since people are praising the Dodgers and they haven't won a WS in over three decades!

I keep quiet about not making the playoffs despite not having the talent to compete.  I bite my tongue when you guys negate 2014 season because we ran into a red hot Royals team.  I get pissed when people argue that our division titles during the 2000 are meaningless because we didn't win the WS.  However I am not going to sit quiet as someone praises the Dodgers for winning division titles yet haven't won a WS Reagan was in office.  Or was it Bush's first season.

*edit - no need for name calling.  

I never get "embarrassed" by anything in baseball, to me that's an over reaction.  It's not fun to have the team you follow lose any game, but every day is a new day in baseball.  Maybe the players get embarrassed by making mistakes that they feel that they should not make, in the same way you or I would get embarrassed by making a mistake at work that we felt we shouldn't make.    Fans of other teams don't really bother me, unless they are vulgar or violent in their behavior.  In the end as fans we are just observers of the process, and because it is not brain surgery or some other complex activity it's easy to develop strong opinions, right or wrong, about how to make things better.  And because serious fans take the time to study and invest their time in the process it's disappointing to see your team fail in their objectives.  The Angels are basically in a two week slump against some really good teams, some of which have some pretty vulgar fans, things will change.  They always do in baseball.  In the bigger scheme of things this isn't that big of a dump.    

12 minutes ago, stormngt said:

No dumbass! But since people are praising the Dodgers and they haven't won a WS in over three decades!

I keep quiet about not making the playoffs despite not having the talent to compete.  I bite my tongue when you guys negate 2014 season because we ran into a red hot Royals team.  I get pissed when people argue that our division titles during the 2000 are meaningless because we didn't win the WS.  However I am not going to sit quiet as someone praises the Dodgers for winning division titles yet haven't won a WS Reagan was in office.  Or was it Bush's first season.

Reagan was finishing his second term (October 1988).

That’s a longggg time ago.

Yu made it seem like even longer, I’m thinking.

1 hour ago, Kevinb said:

You might want to look up the definitions of upset and embarrassed 

29 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

Yep 6 division titles doesn’t mean sh*t and is a very crappy achievement.  Now, if we can just squeeze out that second wild card....

His point clod was we had a ton of division titles and people bitched about it like it isn't an accomplishment, but gush over the Dodgers having the same level of success.  

People have overreacted in both directions (which never happens here)

People got way over- amped about the hot start (probably because nobody had ever seen a Scioscia led team come out of the gate winning games like that)

Conversely, there is way too much gnashing of teeth now that the team has shown the weaknesses it has.. like it's a huge shock that Nobuena skus? It's a huge shock that the SP and pen are both shaky?

As far as socal being populated with douchebags and idiots..even that well known fact seems shocking and surprising to many.

The Dodgers are a bunch of assholes and their fanbase is full of cholo fags and obese Latinas who paint their eyebrows on. 

Anyone who is jealous of them is an insecure **** with a small dick.

Fuck me right in the ass with that horseshit.

2 hours ago, OHTANILAND said:

You cant seriously mention the dodgers and the snetance after mention 2002.

Hashtag last century.

i think aging has made me a lot less embarrassed about how my baseball team plays. maturing into the start of my senior years has really tempered a lot that for me.

i'd like to see them do well every year, but i don't live and die with each game like i used to do.

when i was in my mid-20s, i had a bad breakup with a girl. i had a tough time letting go of her for a few months after the breakup. one friday night on a whim, i called 411 to see if i could get her phone number as i thought perhaps calling her and talking things out would bring whatever closure i was missing. got her number, wrote it down, hung up the phone, and it was like this massive cloud just disappeared from my soul. i never called her and threw away her number a couple of days later. whatever it was i needed was gone. i kinda feel the same way about my sports teams now. both the angels and the kings have won championships in my lifetime and i'm satisfied. would love to see more, but that cloud is gone from my life and i'm content.

24 minutes ago, Tank said:

i think aging has made me a lot less embarrassed about how my baseball team plays. maturing into the start of my senior years has really tempered a lot that for me.

i'd like to see them do well every year, but i don't live and die with each game like i used to do.

when i was in my mid-20s, i had a bad breakup with a girl. i had a tough time letting go of her for a few months after the breakup. one friday night on a whim, i called 411 to see if i could get her phone number as i thought perhaps calling her and talking things out would bring whatever closure i was missing. got her number, wrote it down, hung up the phone, and it was like this massive cloud just disappeared from my soul. i never called her and threw away her number a couple of days later. whatever it was i needed was gone. i kinda feel the same way about my sports teams now. both the angels and the kings have won championships in my lifetime and i'm satisfied. would love to see more, but that cloud is gone from my life and i'm content.

That’s a good take but I guess it’s fair to say that the Dodger fans cloud has been gone since 1955. 

edit...my Montreal Canadiens ....1993 sigh.