• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Justin Verlander HOF?

Is Justin Verlander a Hall of Fame pitcher, I would think he is.   Sure feels like he’s been great for a long time.  I know he’s had a couple of down years, but he’s had prolonged greatness.   I don’t follow this as closely as some of you do, tell me what you think.  If he pitches two more years after this he could get to 230-240 wins.  Has an ERA+ of 125.   He will be close to 3000 strike outs, has a couple no hitters.   

I hope so. It's so hard for pitchers to get in today, but in my book he is a Hall of Famer. I'm not a big Hall guy, either. 

Unless I'm forgetting someone he has been the second best pitcher of the post Maddux, Clemens, Johnson era behind only Kershaw. He should be in.

13 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

I hope so. It's so hard for pitchers to get in today, but in my book he is a Hall of Famer. I'm not a big Hall guy, either. 

Unless I'm forgetting someone he has been the second best pitcher of the post Maddux, Clemens, Johnson era behind only Kershaw. He should be in.

Scherzer...  3 Cys -- and still extremely dominant.

Crazy part of that era -- you didn't even mention Schilling, Mussina, or Pedro...

Now that his career is seemingly over -- you look at John Lackey and dude had one heck of a quality career.   Outside of his 2011 season the guy was as rock solid a second tier guy as you could find.  

Edited by Inside Pitch

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Crazy part of that era -- you didn't even mention Schilling, Mussina, or Pedro...

Now that his career is seemingly over -- you look at John Lackey and dude had one heck of a quality career.   Outside of his 2011 season the guy was as rock solid a second tier guy as you could find.  

There were some great pitchers of that era. I totally forgot Pedro, but IMO he was just a tick below the 3 I mentioned because of the lack of longevity. I thought about Schilling and Mussina, but IMO I think Verlander is better than those guys and they are a level or two below the big three and Pedro. Those guys are in the conversation for best ever. 

7 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

Halladay's the second best pitcher behind Kershaw since the post Maddux, Johnson, and Clemens era. More great seasons than Verlander up to this point. 

I thought about Halladay as well. I think he and Verlander are pretty even. Halladay has the longevity, but I think Verlander will get there and I think I like the peak of Verlander a bit more.

6 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

There were some great pitchers of that era. I totally forgot Pedro, but IMO he was just a tick below the 3 I mentioned because of the lack of longevity. I thought about Schilling and Mussina, but IMO I think Verlander is better than those guys and they are a level or two below the big three and Pedro. Those guys are in the conversation for best ever. 

Pedro did have two of the greatest pitching seasons ever in 1999 and 2000.   ERA was so far under the AL average, it wasn't funny; and his Ks/BBs were ridiculous.

My first thought was Mussina as well. Almost identical ERA+ to Verlander, but 1,000 more innings and 78 more career wins, and he is not in the HOF (though he clearly should be and soon will be). Verlander is borderline at this point - he needs at least three more very good seasons.

40 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

Mussina is both underrated and overrated -- he was never the best pitcher in the league in part because of the RJ's Pedro's and Clemen's of the era..  but if those guys were Aces, then Mussiina was an Ace lite...   It's funny because in his second season he put up an 8 WAR year and finished 4th for the Cy Young behind Eckersley, Blackjack McDowell, and Clemens.   

He wasn't a Sutton like compiler but he was one of those guys who's peak just wasn't as pronounced as the typical elite pitcher... This is where guys like Verlander and Halladay come across as better.  Still, he pitched the entirety of his career in the AL East during the live ball era and in some of the most offensive minded parks of the era...    At 83.0 bWAR he ranks 29th all time...   He ranks 20th all time in Ks and it wasn't like he just hung around forever, he's only 66th on the all time IP list.   Guy had 5 WAR seasons at ages 37 and 39...   He was consistently very very good.

He was remarkably consistent, and I think over time it's blurred the fact that he was quietly dominant as the K total shows.

Edited by Inside Pitch

8 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Mussina is both underrated and overrated -- he was never the best pitcher in the league in part because of the RJ's Pedro's and Clemen's of the era..  but if those guys were Aces, then Mussiina was an Ace lite...   It's funny because in his second season he put up an 8 WAR year and finished 4th for the Cy Young behind Eckersley, Blackjack McDowell, and Clemens.   

He wasn't a Sutton like compiler but he was one of those guys who's peak just wasn't as pronounced as the typical elite pitcher... This is where guys like Verlander and Halladay come across as better.  Still, he pitched the entirety of his career in the AL East during the live ball era and in some of the most offensive minded parks of the era...    At 83.0 bWAR he ranks 29th all time...   His ranks 20th all time in Ks and it wasn't like he just hung around forever, he's 66th on the all time IP list.   Guy had 5 WAR seasons at ages 37 and 39...   He was consistently very very good.

He was remarkably consistent, and I think over time it's blurred the fact that he was quietly dominant as the K total shows.

Both Moose and Schilling should be in the Hall.

1 hour ago, Dick B Back said:

Right now I’d say he’s borderline. He’s got 6 All Star selections RoY, Cy Young award, MVP and a ring.

The days of 300 wins for a selection are gone so who knows.

Uh, he has all that already and he's borderline?